AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Acoustical Treatments

Acoustical Treatments Because the room matters

Old 04-21-2018, 08:37 PM

Default To couch or not to couch

So I was chasing this 75Hz null and discovered its a big leather couch (obvious to most, but I'm still learning). If I swap it with chairs, do people think it would result in much improvement or will the chairs create similar impact in the end? Diminishing returns? The room has treatment.

Not that the the Eames chair thread had anything to do with this...

Perhaps I'll try some room processing software as a plugin on the Mac mini and see what improvements that will yield (software is a lot cheaper). I don't know if that introduces DA conversion signatures (I don't like delta-sigma) since it happens before my DAC. I'm not sure how those packages work to do their adjustments (they do something with the signal, but in what domain and how do they decode). I like what the MEN220 did to room acoustics, but after getting the Gumby found I preferred it out of path due to its delta-sigma DAC. This was also after I had added a lot of room treatment (MEN220 improvements were less after room treatment).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 7.06.41 PM.jpg (21.3 KB, 116 views)
Old 04-22-2018, 09:19 AM

How did you find out its the couch?

Allthough furniture would impact somewhat, I dont think its the main reason for having such a big null. Must be speaker and/or listening position placement.

Why dont you move the couch out of the way in the back or better out of the room, and try some chairs. Since you are measuring, it would give you all the information you need by trying.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:03 AM

Lurk
Old 04-22-2018, 01:27 PM

I should move it out, but there is this hall...

I started with moving speakers (only within about a 12" box due to various issues) but they seemed to sound and measure better about where they were. Mostly moved them forward and back while measuring.

I then moved the leather foot rest, measured (a little better). Then all the pillows and cushions which make up most of the bulk (better, see thumbnail). I stopped at the thought of moving the couch (might need help getting it into a narrow hall -- I might attempt to undertake it). Other chairs I have are big bulky leather chairs which caused me to pause and ask if others had been through this and could say that a pair of chairs of certain types had a larger impact on sound (perhaps chasing measurements don't matter much).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfrg View Post
How did you find out its the couch?

Allthough furniture would impact somewhat, I dont think its the main reason for having such a big null. Must be speaker and/or listening position placement.

Why dont you move the couch out of the way in the back or better out of the room, and try some chairs. Since you are measuring, it would give you all the information you need by trying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 12.19.00 PM.jpg (16.2 KB, 92 views)
Old 04-22-2018, 04:06 PM

What r you measuring with ?

Thanks
R
Old 04-22-2018, 04:14 PM

Its likely a destructive room node .. piling in power will actually make it worse
Either move your listening chair to a better position or add dual subs to smooth the room and reduce nodes and peaks using a distributed bass approach
DSP eq wont work , you cant boost the null and most likely cause a ton of digital clipping trying to do so

Last edited by Rodney Gold; 04-22-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:57 PM
Racing Hoopties

If you are using REW, you can try to model your room in their software and then play with speaker/subwoofer and listening position changes to see if you can eliminate those nulls.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches with fiber in between powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: GIK & Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three dedicated 20 Amp lines w/Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona 5 Shelf rack, Roon sometimes running self made convolution filters
Old 04-22-2018, 11:32 PM

When listening, you're not seated at or around the room's dead center, are you? If that's where your leather couch is, its position, rather than the couch itself, is likely to be the culprit, as you'd be parked in a null zone in that location.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:13 AM

I'm using REW for measurement. I'll see if I can figure out room modeling.

Room is 13'x33' (den, dinning, kitchen). Speakers on far 13' wall. Couch is across the short dimension facing the speakers (starting at 10' through 14'). So while half way in width, not in length. I'll see what happens shifting the mic on measurements around, cannot really shift couch back further (impedes primary path in/out). Hopefully that can delay more gear.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:19 AM

Hi Kubla

I think you should take the time to look at this video from Dynaudio , i think its really good and explaniatory ( was that spelled right ? )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b1W7QgqhR8