AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Acoustical Treatments

Acoustical Treatments Because the room matters

Old 03-07-2018, 12:19 AM
Go Dawgs

Lots of variables like everyone has stated above.....first thing that jumps out at me is that massive bump around 65-70 Hz.....that’s a big peak there and has to be awfully noticeable. I’d have to figure out how to get rid of that almost before anything else.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 03-07-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Lots of variables like everyone has stated above.....first thing that jumps out at me is that massive bump around 65-70 Hz.....that’s a big peak there and has to be awfully noticeable. I’d have to figure out how to get rid of that almost before anything else.

- Buck

I guess that bump has something to do with standing waves, and yes it’s easily noticeable even before the measurements. Currently this room is really messy, and I am going to move very soon, so I am not sure whether it’s worth the effort to reposition the speakers.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPHANA View Post
I guess that bump has something to do with standing waves, and yes it’s easily noticeable even before the measurements. Currently this room is really messy, and I am going to move very soon, so I am not sure whether it’s worth the effort to reposition the speakers.
And what if it is the actual speaker itself? Have to be able to at least differentiate what is what before driving yourself crazy. A good project would be to see if you can move the speaker around and smooth out that peak at which point the tonal balance may shift a bit as all the rooms have modes that null or amplify the various frequencies. As does the speaker to speaker and speaker to wall interaction.

Last edited by PHC1; 03-07-2018 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
And what if it is the actual speaker itself? Have to be able to at least differentiate what is what before driving yourself crazy. A good project would be to see if you can move the speaker around and smooth out that peak at which point the tonal balance may shift a bit as all the rooms have modes that null or amplify the various frequencies. As does the speaker to speaker and speaker to wall interaction.

Thank you Serge for all the good advices. I have to leave the “project” to my new house, because there is really very little wiggle room left to move the speakers My goal at this moment is to get some basic understanding of acoustic measurement.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:57 AM

As a general rule, providing the speaker is not too big for the room as is so often the case for some reason with so many audiophiles who try to shoehorn a speaker meant for a room 2 to 3 times the size of their own, start tuning for bass by ear. One speaker at a time. Find a place in the room where the speaker sounds balanced to your ear in the bass. Work the other speaker next until that sounds balanced. Every room is different. Working them as a pair next, try to nudge them closer to being equal in distance from your listening spot to within at least 1/8 of an inch. Then work on the toe in and rake if that is an option for you to get the soundstage and imaging to focus and at proper height and once again double check the precise toe in and distance from your listening spot and not necessarily the wall.

Then you can measure all you want and compare to what you hear and what it measures. Some major problems can usually be resolved with proper placement, other problems may require some treatment help and still at the end of it all, you will never get a flat frequency response. Then there is the old saying that a perfectly flat speaker is simply boring to listen to.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:11 AM

Here is an example of a decent speaker. The B&W 804D3.

Clearly you can measure and position till you are blue in the face but the fact is that the speaker is some 8dB higher in the 100Hz range than the presence region of 2k. Then the response is bumped up in the brilliance region to get that airy response from it. Not taking that into account, the measurements will be all over the place depending on where it is in the room with all the modes playing with the speaker and even if you did find the optimal spot, there is still the basic characteristic of the speaker itself that is still some 8dB higher in the bass over the mids because the designers probably tuned it to be that way.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPHANA View Post
Thank you Serge for all the good advices. I have to leave the “project” to my new house, because there is really very little wiggle room left to move the speakers My goal at this moment is to get some basic understanding of acoustic measurement.
The book you bought is an interesting read. Have fun reading up and understanding the what how and why of it all. Of course it helps to understand and have the room to experiment with the positioning of the speakers. Have fun but don't go crazy with it or you will get disappointed and frustrated when you could have simply been enjoying music instead. I've been there myself, trust me.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
The book you bought is an interesting read. Have fun reading up and understanding the what how and why of it all. Of course it helps to understand and have the room to experiment with the positioning of the speakers. Have fun but don't go crazy with it or you will get disappointed and frustrated when you could have simply been enjoying music instead. I've been there myself, trust me.
Very good advice.
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 03-07-2018, 08:29 AM

If your room has a thick carpet, heavy curtains and other textiles. This can explain the "suck out" in the higher FQs. Otherwise you should have a closer look at your rig.

From the diagram you can also see that you have a peak at 70, then again at 140 and 280. Same thing with the dips a 100, 200 and 400. Those are a mathematical result of the measurements of your room. You will not be able to make them go away - but you can make them less pronounced by speaker placement. The long decay is a thing for acoustic treatments.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
If your room has a thick carpet, heavy curtains and other textiles. This can explain the "suck out" in the higher FQs. Otherwise you should have a closer look at your rig.

From the diagram you can also see that you have a peak at 70, then again at 140 and 280. Same thing with the dips a 100, 200 and 400. Those are a mathematical result of the measurements of your room. You will not be able to make them go away - but you can make them less pronounced by speaker placement. The long decay is a thing for acoustic treatments.

Thanks bigblue! Those are exactly what I am going to look into.

It’s so amazing that a screenshot of waterfall graph can reflect so much valuable information. Thank you all for the feedbacks!