AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Acoustical Treatments

Acoustical Treatments Because the room matters

Old 11-30-2017, 09:21 PM
Racing Hoopties

Default Placing and attaching several Vicoustic Panels

I recently purchased a Greyhound bus load of various Vicoustic products from fellow AA’er MisterBritt.

Now I am tentatively planning on installing four Wavewood 120 panels on my front wall behind and between the speakers. I have four of the poly wood diffusers that I intend to mount on the back wall about 4’ behind my listening positions.

While I have the correct adhesive to attach the wavewood panels to the wall but I am trying to figure out a less destructive method for my walls. The panels are polyurethane foam next to the wall so they have little strength.

My current thought is to glue an angled (45 degrees?) piece of 1” x 1/2” wood to the back and a mirror to the wall such that the angles catch. I think it is called a French cleat. That way, the wall only sees two screw holes...

I need to research how Vicoustic’s attaches the poly wood diffusers but I think I can handle them.

Any ideas on the Wavewood panels?

Craig
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches with fiber in between powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: GIK & Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three dedicated 20 Amp lines w/Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona 5 Shelf rack, Roon sometimes running self made convolution filters

Last edited by crwilli; 11-30-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:57 PM
Racing Hoopties

I found these on Amazon. Key question is - Will the Polyurethane adhesive stick the aluminum clear to the foam? I will attach two of these to each 120 panel. Complicates the measurements but it will keep them flat to the wall.

IMG_0346.jpg
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches with fiber in between powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: GIK & Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three dedicated 20 Amp lines w/Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona 5 Shelf rack, Roon sometimes running self made convolution filters
Old 11-30-2017, 10:23 PM
Greetings from NC

Debbie’s brand new walls. Eeeek.
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack
Old 11-30-2017, 10:37 PM
Racing Hoopties

Image1512095792.286303.jpg

Here is where I plan to place the 120s horizontally. They will be about 2’ higher off the floor.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:26 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
I found these on Amazon. Key question is - Will the Polyurethane adhesive stick the aluminum clear to the foam? I will attach two of these to each 120 panel. Complicates the measurements but it will keep them flat to the wall.

Attachment 52884
The Stillpoints Apertures which have a wood frame use similar French cleet hangers for permanent mounting. They take a single cleet at the top of the frame and one on the wall. Is there anything on the back of the Vicoustic panels besides foam to which you could attach them?

You might consider 3M Command Strips, but I don't know how well those stick to foam.

Edit: looking at the picture of your panels I wonder if there is enough clear wood at the top. If so, maybe you could use spacers to offset the cleet from the panel. Just speculation.

Last edited by tima; 11-30-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:38 PM

I know people who have screwed to the wall a pegboard or a thin piece of plywood the same size as the acoustic panel and attached the Vicoustic panel to it using their recommended adhesive. This approach will preserve your sheet rock.

Ken

Last edited by PlanarSpeakerFan; 11-30-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:03 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Speaking of buying Vicoustic panels, anyone know where they can be purchased? I am having trouble finding them for sale.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:07 AM
Racing Hoopties

I like the idea of adhering another panel to the Wavewood foam side and hanging that! I have a project tomorrow.

Stephan, can’t help with purchasing. I found Britt.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:08 AM
Racing Hoopties

BTW the Wave panels only have foam in the rear.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:09 AM
Racing Hoopties

I think a thin panel on the back and French cleats will work the nuts.