AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 11-22-2016, 05:44 PM

Default Building a setup...

After contemplating for what seems like forever I’ve decided to put off building another 2ch system while over here in the desert. I have decided to build a headphone system. In the past I had Sennheiser HD600’s with a Little Dot mk2. It was a decent setup but this time I’m looking to take it up a notch.

As with everything, I’ve researched way too much and my mind has me building what seems like a million different systems. I’m looking to stay under $3,000 and of course my fingers are crossed for some good Black Friday deals (Ivan...cough cough)

Here is what I’ve narrowed it down to:
Audeze LCD-X w/ Bryston BHA-1 and a Schiit Modi Multibit
Audeze LCD-2 w/ Bryston BHA-1 and a Schiit Bifrost Multibit
Audeze LCD-3 w/ Audeze Deckard
Sennheiser HD850S w/ HDVA600

As you guys know the combinations are endless. Do any of you have any other suggestions? I'm having trouble deciding if I should keep the quality of DAC as close as the quality of amp. Also, because I have a two little girls and 2 cats I would prefer to stay away from tubes.

Classic rock, jazz and classical are the main genres that I listen to. Rap is probably the only thing that will never get played on this. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:48 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Personally speaking, I would leave the Sennheiser HD850S w/ HDVA600 off your list.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 11-23-2016, 03:49 PM

Wow, I figured some of our headphone guys would've chimed in.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:47 PM

Okay, I'll bite. I am in a similar place except I want to upgrade a relatively inexpensive, but not bad sounding headphone system I have on my night table. I have Audeze LCD-XC (closed back), Beyerdynamic T5p, and HiFiMan HE-500 headphones. I think you should add the LCD-XC into your selection. At this level, it is not a question whether open or closed back are better, they are just different. And closed back phones have certain benefits- they keep outside sound out (and isn't that what headphones are really for, anyway-- as opposed to speakers?) Also, they keep sound in which can be a big benefit. My wife falls asleep before me 75% of the time and when she does, the XCs come on for a really nice listening session to unwind or fall asleep to.

These phones are fed by a Logitech Squeezebox Touch connected to the network with Ethernet. For the Touch I have a Channel Island power supply with Shunyata Venom PC. The Touch feeds a Centrance DacMini connected by a WW SuperNova Toslink. The Centrance has a very nice DAC and headphone amp. I think it's time to upgrade what I have sitting the nightstand. I have to deal with limited real estate, WAF and budget. Two components I have started to look at are the Audeze Deckard, and also the Bryson BDP-Pi. If only Bryston built a DAC/Amp that was in the 1/3 size format of the BDP-Pi and BOT-1. What a killer desktop or night table system it would be in combination with the BDP-Pi. (Jim Tanner- anything like that on the horizon I should hold out for?). I figure if the BDP-2 works great in my main system why not the Pi for the bedroom? BTW: what source(s) are you using ?

Anyway- for you-- give the XCs an audition. You might like them more than the Xs. (I didn't mention considering the BHA-1 for me because I need something that takes up less real estate but a great choice-- ask Ivan, he probably has some in his garage taking up valuable space he needs to move out to make room for other goodies).

For me, I'm looking for suggestions for my night table system (except my headphone hunt is done for awhile). any suggestions for source (streaming), I have an Ethernet connection right there, and DAC/amp or separates would be appreciated. And maybe what's suggested for me will work for you and vice versa.

Thanks
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the info. I've thought about the XCs also. Personally I think any of the Audeze headphones will work for me. It's about staying in my budget now. My wife knows all to well how I can destroy a budget. This past summer when car hunting I started out looking at Hyundai's and ended up with a Cadillac lol.

My laptop will be my source. The desk is basically in the dinning room that looks into the living room. So if the amp is on the right side of my desk then I can sit on the left side of the couch (or lay down) and the cord will reach fine.

Have you looked at the Bel Canto DAC1.7 or 2.7? They both have headphone amps built in and have a small footprint that might work for you.

Matt
Old 11-23-2016, 07:16 PM

Default Building a setup...

Have not looked at the Bel Canto DACs but I will now.
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:49 AM

I'd recommend one of the Chord headphone amps with a built in DAC. Chord makes their own FPGA discrete DACs, not an off the shelf chip and they are IMHO world class.

The Mojo might be small but it is surprisingly gutsy for a tiny battery operated device.

I'd go for the Hugo TT if I needed the balanced connectivity to my hifi gear (or proper RCA) vs mini stereo to RCA cabling on the Mojo.

The headphone amp sections are no slouch either.

And when money is no object.. the Chord DAVE
Old 11-24-2016, 09:09 AM

I have the chord mojo for my headphones and in my opinion its a cracking little unit!
Old 11-24-2016, 09:48 AM

Which headphones do you use Levitator?
Old 11-24-2016, 10:03 AM
Audio Enthusiast

I was at my local HiFi shop to check out the Auralic Aries music server and they had the Auralic Taurus headphone amp sitting there with a pair of Sennheiser HD800's and a PSB (didn't catch the model) headphones. The unit was really clean and sounded great through both cans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Auralic Taurus.jpg (67.8 KB, 52 views)
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/ Goldring
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Phono Pre...…..Sutherland Insight

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Record Cleaning Machine...….Okki Nokki
DAC................Bryston BDA-3
Headphones.....Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX /
Sennheiser HD-660S
Headphone Amp.....Bryston BHA-1
Cables....Amp to preamp - Morrow MA4
Preamp to DAC - Morrow MA4
Preamp to Headphone Amp - Morrow MA2

Last edited by Jack in Wilmington; 11-24-2016 at 10:12 AM.