AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > VPI Industries

VPI Industries Turntables Made in USA

Old 01-30-2015, 06:02 PM

Default Sumiko Blackbird

Just ordered one for the VPI Classic One.
I had one of them on a Scout about 5 years ago and really loved it.
Hope it's as good as I remember. :-)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-122929357.jpg (14.4 KB, 198 views)

Last edited by jdandy; 01-30-2015 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Enlarge photo.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:41 PM
Retired

Have always wondering about the Black Bird. To my eye, it is one of the sexiest looking cartridges out there (if a cartridge can be sexy looking ).
Which model did you order?
Which phono preamp?
Keep us posted on what you think once you get a few hours on it.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-30-2015, 09:19 PM

Old 01-30-2015, 09:44 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

I ran one on my modified TD160/ Pro-Ject9 CC arm combo for many years. It is the best HOMC I have owned.
Enjoy,
Jim
Old 01-31-2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Have always wondering about the Black Bird. To my eye, it is one of the sexiest looking cartridges out there (if a cartridge can be sexy looking ). Which model did you order? Which phono preamp? Keep us posted on what you think once you get a few hours on it.
I ordered the High Output version again. Just recently ordered a Luxman L-550AX Class A integrated that includes a very good phono stage (from what I hear and have read). So I am selling my Moon 310LP and using that. It offers both MC and MM input, but prefers output greater than .7mv for MC's. I sold my Dynavector Karat 17D3 and ordered the Blackbird again, this way I can use the MM phono stage and have an awesome S/N ratio. Both should arrive on Tuesday. I'm excited...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-1308562502.jpg (27.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg image-3492769940.jpg (36.5 KB, 90 views)
Old 01-31-2015, 02:37 AM

I have heard this is a wonderful cartridge. Best of luck with it!

Ken
Old 01-31-2015, 10:36 AM
Music Provides Joy

I had the HO version and it sounded great. Just be careful -- that design makes the tip pretty easy to hit in the wrong way. My turntable is currently out of order because I dropped the arm from a couple inches up and the tip bent slightly to the side. Fragile.

That said, I think I will probably replace it with the same cartridge, because there was nothing objectionable about the sound and its HO makes it compatible with a lot of phono preamplifiers (e.g., the ones that aren't very adjustable built into a lot of integrated amps).

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Office: KEF R500 Speakers; Sonos Amp fed by Roon
Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:38 AM

I love Sumiko Cartridges and they happen to be the only HOMC I own.

2X Blackbirds....Factory Stock

1 Backbird Retiped by SoundSmith Ruby Cantilever.

1 Blue Point Special EVO III

1 Sumiko Talisman Virtuoso DTi

1 Sumiko Talisman Virtuoso (Boron)

Since you have owned one before, just a reminder, never ever touch the side of the cartridge. The wirers you can see are pretty strong but the micro wirers coming off the coil are another story. The tip hangs out in mid air without a guard and is susceptible to breakage.

I live with these negatives for the sound quality and is well worth it. I just have to be more deliberate and pay attention to what I do around it.

Here are some things I do,

I remove the arm from the table to install and remove the cartridge. Having a work location set up with the tools I need, good lighting, a jewelers headset for my bad eyes and sitting down. The goal is to get the job done and get the cart back on to the table or in it's box as soon as you can.

Never use a stylus brush and liquid cleaners, I use a sticky dip cleaner.

Never hot swap records, flip and spin.

Although the tip is sticking out like it does, it's a plus for setup as there is no question were it's sitting on a protractor, or in finding the start of a track.

One last thing brake in the Cantilever @ 2 grams for a while and then back off from there.

Happy Listening
Old 01-31-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian05 View Post
I ordered the High Output version again. Just recently ordered a Luxman L-550AX Class A integrated that includes a very good phono stage (from what I hear and have read). So I am selling my Moon 310LP and using that. It offers both MC and MM input, but prefers output greater than .7mv for MC's. I sold my Dynavector Karat 17D3 and ordered the Blackbird again, this way I can use the MM phono stage and have an awesome S/N ratio. Both should arrive on Tuesday. I'm excited...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfr01 View Post
I had the HO version and it sounded great. Just be careful -- that design makes the tip pretty easy to hit in the wrong way. My turntable is currently out of order because I dropped the arm from a couple inches up and the tip bent slightly to the side. Fragile.

That said, I think I will probably replace it with the same cartridge, because there was nothing objectionable about the sound and its HO makes it compatible with a lot of phono preamplifiers (e.g., the ones that aren't very adjustable built into a lot of integrated amps).
Why the reference to high output "versions". There is only one version as far as I know and it's a HOMC

@ kfr01

You can retip at a fraction of the cost take a look here for links to who can do a good job.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/phono...ver-broke.html
Old 01-31-2015, 10:51 AM
Music Provides Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
@ kfr01

You can retip at a fraction of the cost take a look here for links to who can do a good job.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/phono...ver-broke.html
Thanks! Great "tip"

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Office: KEF R500 Speakers; Sonos Amp fed by Roon
Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.