AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 10-24-2019, 06:59 AM

Default Absolute Sound Magazine - Buyers Guide 2019

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Absolute Sound Magazine – Buyers Guide 2019

Bryston BP26/MPS2 Preamplifier (Optional Internal DAC/Phono)

This two-chassis, fully featured preamp has lots of connectors (RCA and XLR) and traditional control knobs and switches rather than an interactive, menu-driven control screen. It even has a decent headphone section. Only tone controls were skipped. Build-quality and sonics are quite high as its price level.

The BP26 sounded tonally neutral with fairly high resolution of fine detail and notable upper- frequency openness, all leading to a pristine presentation without edginess. The BP26 seemed to bring forth the central thrust of whatever music was playing with fatigue-free musical verve. Bass extensions and dynamic control were also strong points as were soundstage width and height.

The BP26 offers versatility and musical enjoyment at a competitive price. Bryston's famous 20-year warranty gives buyers assurance of long-term reliability.

Bryston BCD-3 CD Player

In a world where CD players are fast becoming obsolete, the Bryston BCD-3 bows with musical and sonic generosity that doesn't come along every day.

The company's latest CD player represents a substantial upgrade over its lauded BCD-1 (there was no BCD-2). Enhancements include an entirely new transport and dual 32-bit AKM 4490 DAC chips. Compared to its predecessor, the BCD-3 offers far better channel separation, resulting not only in a wider soundstage but also more solid imagining.

The new model also boasts a lower noise floor, so music emerges with greater purity, tangibility, and dynamic contrast.

Thoughtfully, Bryston included a high-grade digital output. Thus, if outboard DACs evolve beyond the superb BDA-3- based model within the BCD-3, owners can utilize the Bryston as a pure transport. If you're considering buying one last CD player- one that's future-proof and won't break the bank- the BCD-3 should top your list.

Bryston BDA-3 DAC

The Bryston BDA-3 enhances the functionality of the 2013 Product of the Year Award Winning- BDA-2 by adding a second asynchronous USB input and four HDMI inputs, PCM sample rates up to 384kHz are now supported, as are DSD rates up to DSD256. Most significantly , not only can DSD signals be received by the BDA-3 USB inputs, but also from suitably equipped HDMI sources.

The evolutionary development of Bryston's DACs from the original BDA-1 to the BDA-3 has been an object lesson in digital progress. Bryston's BDA-3 DAC surpasses the high-value performance standard set by the BDA-2, enables inexpensive HDMI-equipped disc players to function as premium source components, and adds exceptionally engaging DSD playback to its potent mix of virtues.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:13 AM

James while the BCD-3 is a fine player it's a shame, IMO, that it's not SACD compliant.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
James while the BCD-3 is a fine player it's a shame, IMO, that it's not SACD compliant.
Hi Dave

SACD requires a completely different circuit topology than PCM so we would not have been able to optimize PCM playback in the BCD-3.

james
Old 10-24-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
Hi Dave

SACD requires a completely different circuit topology than PCM so we would not have been able to optimize PCM playback in the BCD-3.

james
Understood James and with that being said I have about 50 or so SACD's that need to be played !
Old 10-24-2019, 11:46 AM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Understood James and with that being said I have about 50 or so SACD's that need to be played !

Rip them!
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 10-24-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
There are rebook CDs that compare favorably with SACD. I have an SACD player and I have discovered that a well recorded CD can rival the sound of SACD. Hi res is overrated. In fact, I have a digital player that play hi res and red book, but I find red book sounds more natural.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Rip them!
did that to my jeans a couple of times, felt bad about it for weeks ...........

on a serious note, my Cary 306 pro does a superb job !
Old 10-24-2019, 04:33 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
did that to my jeans a couple of times, felt bad about it for weeks ...........

Hahaha!

My daughters wear ripped jeans, and don't feel bad.

But back on topic now.
Congrats James!
Bryston sells wonderful products.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 10-26-2019, 04:39 PM

Default Absolute Sound Magazine - Buyers Guide 2019

Quote:

Same here. I use a Cambridge Audio universal player as a transport. It takes care of CD, DVD, HDCD and SACD (via HDMI to BDA3). It’s the only non-Bryston piece of electronics in my system.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:27 PM

Well deserved James!

For my part, since I moved entirely digital, I am no longer looking back at CD player. BDP for the win!