AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 08-09-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marc jmajma View Post
I had the same debate with myself last October, and in the end I chose Alexia because I had the chance to be able to test them in my own living room and with my gear during a few days: I was so in love with what I heard, and it was so wonderfully matching in my deco ( I feared they were too big, and as a result they had a very positive WAF!) that the decision was easy, especially when my last question was about the price and the answer of my elder son: YOLO ( you only live once). Moreover, I guess the mids and the highs are more refined on Alexias vs Maxx3, and the tremendous and wonderful bass is to die for; is there more impact with Maxx3, or more what else? Aesthetically, I prefer the Alexias. Let me say I never looked back and I am over satisfied with my Alexias. But you should consider the room size, dedicated or living room, gear, price, WAF(?), and aesthetic.
Great comments. Thanks or the input. My room would best accommodate the Alexias, I'm sure. But I was wondering if the visceral impact of the Maxx 3s would elevate my experience beyond the capabilities of the Alexias. The other concern had to do with how soon the Maxx 3s would be updated, and the fear of acting too prematurely and missing out on newer technology, say with a Maxx 4. But then again, the price of the Maxx 3s make them uber attractive. I've got a few minutes before I make any decisions. So I'll spend the mean time auditioning them. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of auditioning them in home.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:37 AM

To me, any visceral impact advantages the Maxx has over the Alexia is outweighed by the new tweeter's refinement. It's not a small upgrade in the delicacy of the mids and highs.

I haven't heard the Maxx but I've heard everything else by Wilson, both with the old tweeter and new in the case of the Sasha. I'm very familiar with the difference.

You aren't going to get "visceral" every day, but you will enjoy the better sounding vocals and micro detail of the Alexias tweeter... Every time you fire it up.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
To me, any visceral impact advantages the Maxx has over the Alexia is outweighed by the new tweeter's refinement. It's not a small upgrade in the delicacy of the mids and highs. I haven't heard the Maxx but I've heard everything else by Wilson, both with the old tweeter and new in the case of the Sasha. I'm very familiar with the difference. You aren't going to get "visceral" every day, but you will enjoy the better sounding vocals and micro detail of the Alexias tweeter... Every time you fire it up.
That's a BIG statement. That good, huh? That's more than enough incentive to do some serious comparisons. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint519 View Post

That's a BIG statement. That good, huh? That's more than enough incentive to do some serious comparisons. Thanks for the input.
Of course, at this price level, you should do as much research as you can before making a decision. But I am pretty confident you'll see what I mean. When I went from Sasha 1 to the 2, I did a direct comparison, and the improvement was much bigger than I imagined it would be. Sure, there are a few other changes, but the tweeter was the main difference in my application. It's much more than a tweak!

Of course I realize that's a bit different than what you are comparing, just trying to make sure you are aware of how much better I think the tweeter is. Maxx 4 should be amazing with it, if you can wait for it!

Last edited by 2fastdriving; 08-09-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:29 PM

Now that I have my tweeter fixed I can say that I am hearing a different treble than I heard before. How long this problem had been coming on I don't know. Try as I can I can't fault the Ti tweeter. I have heard the new tweeter. It is truly wonderful. Smooth extended quick detailed. Everything you want in a tweeter. But I have to say I really like the Maxx3 treble. In my room I don't know how it could be any better now that I have one that functions properly. I had about the most difficult problem one could experience, a slightly malfunctioning tweeter. I'm glad it is fixed.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Now that I have my tweeter fixed I can say that I am hearing a different treble than I heard before. How long this problem had been coming on I don't know. Try as I can I can't fault the Ti tweeter. I have heard the new tweeter. It is truly wonderful. Smooth extended quick detailed. Everything you want in a tweeter. But I have to say I really like the Maxx3 treble. In my room I don't know how it could be any better now that I have one that functions properly. I had about the most difficult problem one could experience, a slightly malfunctioning tweeter. I'm glad it is fixed.
Wilson has used the Ti tweeter for nearly 20 years. It's a very good one. I'm not sure if I would characterize the new silk dome tweeter as better, it's certainly different. For those who think that the Ti tweeter is more edgy or sparkly, you can tame it with different power cords, interconnects & speaker cable.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:16 AM

I for one, would love to hear how W.A would sound if they could get access to something like Focals Beryllium tweeters. Or Dynaudios Esotar2 tweeter.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:40 AM

Hi new order,

you will replace the wilson sophia 2 with a Focal (Scala or 1038be ?)

the combo with you passlabs xa60.5 make you no more happy?

I have purchased the Wilson Sasha2 (in place from the B&W802di) and now I will replace the Passlabs xa100.5 with a D'agostino stereo or Mcintosh mc452 or Mc601......Accustic Arts monoII or too in my liste...

why change wilson to Focal?

well I like too Focal! the Scala are very very great speaker for me. (fast speakers, tweeter be is very amazing) my point is if Mcintosh can be a good macht with Mcintosh....

Pleae let me know.

best rgds
Old 08-20-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new order View Post
I for one, would love to hear how W.A would sound if they could get access to something like Focals Beryllium tweeters. Or Dynaudios Esotar2 tweeter.
As I understand it any tweeter must be able to go low to be compatible with any Wilson design. Both the new silk dome and the older Ti tweeter can go low. Other tweeters can't do it so this eliminates the above tweeters. Many folks like the sound of the old Ti tweeter. Now that I have one that works properly I am satisfied with Maxx3 treble. I love the life it has. I might add that the necessity for the low frequency response of the tweeter is a constant that runs through every Wilson design.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:34 PM

@ Raidho. I have no ambition to replace my Sophias! They are probably my last speakers. Why upgrade to better speakers when I am happy now? One thing that is sure is that my ears can not be upgraded.They will rather be downgraded as older I get.

I was just curious how it would sound if W.A had access to the Be tweeter from Focal. I love the Wilson Ti tweeter! It is one reason why I now own the Sophia 3.