AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Japanese Exotica

Japanese Exotica Kondo, Leben, Luxman, Zanden

Old 08-29-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pider View Post
Jim. What amp, etc, would come close to your ideal. Still learning here, so my question is sincere. Thanks!

John
John
I don't know what is ideal. I do know that the Technical Brain amps I listened to at last years RMAF were very impressive. A few others that have been part of truly great systems I have heard are: Solution, Boulder, and MBL 9008's. I would also like to hear Burmester with some different speakers ie. Magico, Focal EM, Wilson X3, YG,

Jim
Old 08-29-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Serge
I am not sure where you are when you close your eyes but I doubt it is listening to live music. No tube amp I have ever heard sounds anything like live music, that is unless it trying to reproduce simple string recordings, There just does not seem to be enough bandwidth to convey a realistic picture that properly covers all of the frequencies and especially the higher frequencies and overtones. What you define as sterile and dry sounds much more realistic than overripe and rounded notes that aren't produced by people playing live instruments.

I would agree that tubes seem to present a soundstage with more depth but at the expense of speed, accuracy and dynamic range.

There is a market for every type of gear because everyone is looking for a different result. I am glad you have found yours.

Jim
Jim, I guess all tube gear should be thrown away. Including musicians who use tubes. Harmonic bloom and overripeness that comes from guys that insist on using speakers that were designed with SS in mind are two different things. When I owned tubed gear and had various speakers that were marginal at best for tubes, I though the same thing. I have both flavors of systems to enjoy, big SS brutes and small tubes as well as high powered tubes soon and there are other members here who enjoy similar setups.

You are pretty rigid in your views when it comes to vinyl, tubes and even subs until recently, that much we know. That's ok with me, we all have our opinions based on the experiences we have had. You have yours and I have mine. Sounds to me we are both happy with what we hear from our systems and and no reason to try to convince each other otherwise.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Jim, I guess all tube gear should be thrown away. Including musicians who use tubes. Harmonic bloom and overripeness that comes from guys that insist on using speakers that were designed with SS in mind are two different things. When I owned tubed gear and had various speakers that were marginal at best for tubes, I though the same thing. I have both flavors of systems to enjoy, big SS brutes and small tubes as well as high powered tubes soon and there are other members here who enjoy similar setups.

You are pretty rigid in your views when it comes to vinyl, tubes and even subs until recently, that much we know. That's ok with me, we all have our opinions based on the experiences we have had. You have yours and I have mine. Sounds to me we are both happy with what we hear from our systems and and no reason to try to convince each other otherwise.
Serge
No, those who prefer tube gear should stick with what they enjoy listening to. I have never attempted to proselytize or get others to purchase gear I prefer or may even own.

I understand that there is no single answer as everyone has different criteria for sound, different environmental constraints and most of us a limit to what we are willing to spend in a hobby that is constantly evolving.

JIm
Old 08-29-2011, 04:06 PM

Jim,

I strongly disagree with you here. Although I find tube amplifiers usually more "human" and natural, I have listened to many wonderful SS amps : McIntosh, Soulution, Goldmund, Mark Levinson and many others....
No one is close to the real music, either tubes or SS.
Great products just make you listen deeply into the music.
You forget the gear. You forget the sounds. You just listen to a beautiful music as a kid. And your mind starts to fly.
This can be achieved with great tubes and SS amps.
It all depends on the quality of the design imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Serge
I am not sure where you are when you close your eyes but I doubt it is listening to live music. No tube amp I have ever heard sounds anything like live music, that is unless it trying to reproduce simple string recordings, There just does not seem to be enough bandwidth to convey a realistic picture that properly covers all of the frequencies and especially the higher frequencies and overtones. What you define as sterile and dry sounds much more realistic than overripe and rounded notes that aren't produced by people playing live instruments.

I would agree that tubes seem to present a soundstage with more depth but at the expense of speed, accuracy and dynamic range.

There is a market for every type of gear because everyone is looking for a different result. I am glad you have found yours.

Jim

Last edited by Jerome W; 08-29-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:44 PM

Hey guys ..... you left this confused kid out .... POWERED speakers?

I know this is still SS with dynamics speakers (although I may have heard somewhere there are tube versions too??), but the philosophy is different right?

If i banged my head into the wall, just ignore me!

Seriously, I am truly floored with the Meridians (only the DSP8kSL and 7.2KSL. The lower 5.2k dont ring a bell at all. NO bass) each time I hear them. Never thinking SS/Dynamics, Tubes or .... BUT just how they make music to my ears. I can talk about changing BUT truly from the bottom of my heart, never ever think about it at all. Must be some voodoo Meridian conjured that floored me who once was a "change junkie".

Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 08-29-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCC View Post
Hey guys ..... you left this confused kid out .... POWERED speakers?

I know this is still SS with dynamics speakers (although I may have heard somewhere there are tube versions too??), but the philosophy is different right?

If i banged my head into the wall, just ignore me!

Seriously, I am truly floored with the Meridians (only the DSP8kSL and 7.2KSL. The lower 5.2k dont ring a bell at all. NO bass) each time I hear them. Never thinking SS/Dynamics, Tubes or .... BUT just how they make music to my ears. I can talk about changing BUT truly from the bottom of my heart, never ever think about it at all. Must be some voodoo Meridian conjured that floored me who once was a "change junkie".

Cheers!
Can we get that in writing.
Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects
Old 08-29-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas View Post
Can we get that in writing.
My friend, it is in WRITING.

The only thing is I am greedy like a kid in a candy store (as Howie puts it) each time I visits the High End HiFi stores. Akin to walking into a CD shop, I see no reason to purchase that one more CD as I have close to 5.3k of CD ripped files in my Sooloos. Yet, I will still buy that one more CD and know what, coming home just to realise I already had the copy or the ripped files.

Gears are much more easier to take stock, so the chance of doing that is ZERO. BUT re-purchases? Well, I had done that too!

Yes, each time I go home, start my Sooloos, I just let the music flow. BUT then, when I am into the shop (Burmester, MBL - which I dont these days, thank God) selling Avantgardes and Tubes (Ongaku, Reimyo, Air Tight), these gears got my adrenalin pumping .... just akin to seeing a beautiful lady in a weeny teeny bikini although I know back home, I have my trusty wife. Still, you know how's its like to "fantasize, oogle and salivate" right? BUT coming downright to reality, its always be best to stay true to the one who have been doing so many things right - than just this one off - for the moment temptation.

Indeed, just yesterday, I have ADDED a piece of new Meridian to my combo, although its one "out-dated, but still in production - about to stop" Reference 800v4 CD/DVD player. For what? For DVD Video and DVD Audio playback. And its a price I cant refuse, short of being an idiot if I do, even though this is kinda like a back dated gear!

I am building slowly towards a full blown Meridian Reference HT system. The next 2 gears, 861v6 Processor and Centre Channel DSP7.2k HC are in sight. No resistance from my "Lady Boss".

BUT if I am allowed to just do that one more big spending (I am working on the story how to make the approach), its gonna be a FULL RANGE Tube Gear, down to speakers! But first things first, get the SPACE, then the GUTS to open my mouth and the STORY. Get these right, cheques will flow that much easier.

MERIDIAN is here to stay. Thats as serious. Although I know I have been a "change junkie" in the past years. Still, I can be "re-born" right?

Cheers John Thomas.
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar

Last edited by JSCC; 08-29-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:37 PM

Hi Guys,
New Around here... Greetings All ... Interesting thread, eagerly awaiting HowieB's take on the Ongaku.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:57 PM
From the BAT cave ...

jazzhead, welcome aboard!
Old 08-29-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzhead View Post
Hi Guys,
New Around here... Greetings All ... Interesting thread, eagerly awaiting HowieB's take on the Ongaku.
Welcome Jazzhead! Per your request, will post first impressions very soon!

Cheers

howie