AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Time Pieces

Time Pieces Watch Collectors

Old 02-26-2016, 09:02 PM

and my favourite: Cartier

Cartier watches are decadent without being gaudy. They manage to be luxurious even though one of their most famous timepieces, the Santos de Cartier, is a tank-style watch. It is one of the few enduring watch icons in the world.

A man wearing a Cartier cares about art and sophistication, and Cartier exudes both in luxurious style. Their designs are simple and elegant with fine touches like smooth cases, detailed crowns, and exposed screw bezels.

He’s more apt to drive a car like a new Mercedes S-Class or a Bentley and wear custom made suits. He frequents the art galleries and considers a good Cabernet Sauvignon one of his best friends.

Boom!

Source: Business Insider

Last edited by Golucid; 02-26-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golucid View Post
and my favourite: Cartier

Cartier watches are decadent without being gaudy. They manage to be luxurious even though one of their most famous timepieces, the Santos de Cartier, is a tank-style watch. It is one of the few enduring watch icons in the world.

A man wearing a Cartier cares about art and sophistication, and Cartier exudes both in luxurious style. Their designs are simple and elegant with fine touches like smooth cases, detailed crowns, and exposed screw bezels.

He’s more apt to drive a car like a new Mercedes S-Class or a Bentley and wear custom made suits. He frequents the art galleries and considers a good Cabernet Sauvignon one of his best friends.

Boom!

Source: Business Insider
Cartier was never anything more than a boutique watch with it's own style but no substance in terms of a "horological timepiece". It all changed for the better.

Cartier Gets Serious: The Evolution of Cartier Men’s Watches
Old 02-26-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Cartier was never anything more than a boutique watch with it's own style but no substance in terms of a "horological timepiece". It all changed for the better. Cartier Gets Serious: The Evolution of Cartier Men’s Watches
+10
Old 02-26-2016, 11:13 PM

+1 Cartier is my watch brand (Santos 100 the model). The elegance of its design is second to none.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
+1 Cartier is my watch brand (Santos 100 the model). The elegance of its design is second to none.
You've got my vote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:30 PM

I am one of those stainless Submariner people. I have just this one watch and it makes me happy. It looks great with formal dress and it looks great with a bathing suit and a snorkel. I like that its an automatic and that it fits my wrist.

Mine is a 1984 model that I bought used on consignment. It's not gaudy at all, though from time to time someone standing shoulder to shoulder with me asks if its real. The correct answer is, "no!"

The thing about a fine watch is that it's a real product of human care and effort. To me a good automatic is like a good painting. It's cheaper than paintings to hang screens on your wall and they can display whatever you want. But it's not the same subjective experience as an actual painting.

Plus it will still work when the internet goes down or an EMP makes all the electronics go kaputt.
l MA7900 Integrated Amp l Sonus Faber Concerto Speakers l Clearaudio Performance Turntable w/Ortofon Credenza Cartridge l Rega Saturn CD Player l Marantz Tuner l PlayStation-4 l Transparent MM2 Cables & Power l
Old 04-30-2016, 11:54 PM

I've got a stainless sub too, their "tool" watch. If my watch says anything about me....I guess that (probably other reasons too), makes me a tool?!
Old 05-01-2016, 12:08 AM

I see a lot of these watches on people who value something practical and rugged and something that can carry them into the occasional "uh-oh" cocktail party. Field grade military officers and the like. It's really common in that specific setting, actually.

It's a good watch for someone whose life is not entirely predictable.

You could be covered in sand, under 120 feet of water, or navigating the smoked salmon and gluten free crackers at one of those formal things with the round tables and white nylon clothes that make my head hurt. The watch still looks appropriate and works fine.
l MA7900 Integrated Amp l Sonus Faber Concerto Speakers l Clearaudio Performance Turntable w/Ortofon Credenza Cartridge l Rega Saturn CD Player l Marantz Tuner l PlayStation-4 l Transparent MM2 Cables & Power l
Old 05-01-2016, 03:34 AM

I like a skeleton. If you insist on seeing all the movement all the time, there is no substitute. Vacheron have a few, I went for Tissot. Soothes the stressful working day as well.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:49 AM

I bought an Omega Speedmaster Professional 9 years ago and have been very happy with it. It's sporty and looks good with formal wear. NASA has been using it as their standard space flight watch after testing it against a number of other high end brands and found it to be the most rugged. It's size is appropriate for my wrist as well. Good quality wear gives pride of ownership.
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels