AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 09-23-2017, 09:04 AM

Default Ayre MX-R v Dag M400 v Ayre KX-R v Dag Pre

I've owned the top of the line Ayre gear for quite some time. I had the KX-R first, then added the MX-R, then the KX-R Twenty and most recently the MX-R Twenty. The KX-R and the MX-R were very good, the KX-R Twenty transcendent and the MX-R Twenty excellent.

I recently purchased Focal Maestro Utopia speakers and it became clear that the MX-R Twenty monos were not getting everything I was looking for from the speakers versus their performance with my earlier Focal Scala Utopias. The Maestros are an admittedly very difficult load.

Having heard nothing but praise for the Momentum minos (plus, size wise they are close enough to my MX-R Twenties that no additional space will be needed), I figured I had a legitimate excuse to check them out, but expected to be underwhelmed as I almost always am when I hear touted gear. However, I'm pleased when proven wrong.

So, while on break I had the amazing opportunity to spend five hours or so over a couple of days to compare the top of the line efforts from Ayre and D'Agostino.

Ultimately it was a split decision: with the M400 clearly showing superiority over the MX-R (Twenty) in every aspect (although at twice the price and with questionable aesthetics - besides the love it or hate it steampunk, the metal finish is pretty lazy in contrast to the beautifully textured lenticular finish of the Ayres) while the KX-R Twenty stayed true - an elite preamp that shows that it isn't easy for even a great amp designer to design a pre that can hang with Charlie's masterpiece (which is amazingly compact and gorgeous to boot).
Old 09-23-2017, 09:04 AM

MX-R Twenty vs. M400:
Full disclosure: The dealer only had the original MX-R but in my experience the Twenty is an evolution of the original and I am quite familiar with what changed vis a vis the original since I've owned the original for years and the Twenties since the start of the year.

What really surprised me was the clear superiority of the M400 with a speaker like the Avalon Isis that the original MX-R drove amazingly well (in fact it was that combo that made me fall for the Isis - still an amazing speaker). The M400s exhibited an iron fist on the woofers, brought out more inner detail in voices and instruments and produced highs that were sublimely smooth.

On the tweeter, something very interesting occurred. I was always under the impression that the slight whitish tinge/slight piercing nature on cymbals, etc. in some recordings was a necessary evil of accurate reproduction on a metal tweeter. However, that doesn't seem to be the case. Those recordings exhibited the same whitish/piercing nature on Avalon's diamond tweeters. However, when we switched to the M400 that characteristic disappeared. Did the M400 roll off the highs? Not that I can detect but I can't be 100% sure.

The other characteristic of the M400 that I want to point out is that it is warmer than the MX-R Twenty - not by a large amount but it was noticeable. With a warmer speaker that might prove to be a little much if you're looking for anything close to accurate reproduction.

While I do feel that the M400 is clearly superior to the MX-R Twenty, my existing opinion of the MX-R Twenties remains unchanged - they are excellent and remain legitimate end game amps. For those not wanting to pay the ridiculous pricepoint of the D'Agostinos, not having a difficult speaker and/or with warm speakers, the MX-R Twenty could definitely be the right call.

Last edited by Bar81; 09-24-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:01 PM

Default Ayre MX-R v Dag M400 v Ayre KX-R v Dag Pre

I, like you, had a system of KXR20 and MXR20 although Alexia speakers. And had and MXR20 for the mezzo center and VXR 20 for Alidas

Made the switch to M400s for LCR and S250 for rears. Couldn't be happier. I also decided to keep the KXR20 as the preamp I have both brands of amps in black. While the D'ag amps took over duty...I could not bring myself to get rid of the Ayre amps...they are also something special
Old 09-24-2017, 06:13 AM

KX-R Twenty vs. Momentum Pre
Full disclosure: The Momentum Pre was only auditioned with the Dagostino M400s since a Dag Pre plus MX-R Twenties wouldn't address the shortcomings in performance with my Focal Maestros.

After been having been mightily impressed with the M400s, I decided to push my luck and see if I could be impressed with back to back hyped audio products.

Once the KX-R Twenty was replaced with the Momentum pre, the pace of the whole system seemed to get noticeably slower. In my earlier review of the KX-R Twenty I noted "Pace and timing are now rock solid... the Twenty oozes confidence, not missing a beat no matter what type of music is thrown at it." After my audition, I'll double down on the above and say that after hearing the Dag piece, it became even clearer how exceptional the KX-R Twenty's pace and timimg are. Across a wide range of music, the KX-R Twenty was on the money. The Momentum on the other hand was good with slower paced music like Sarah McLaughlin but just couldn't keep up with the pace of the action on Live's newly remastered Mental Jewelry.

The Dag combo together also proved too much of a good thing in terms of tone. While the warmth of the M400s was welcomed, when coupled with the Momentum pre it wrapped every CD in a cocoon of honeycomb - sweetening the presentation to such a degree that I wasn't sure if on 2Pac's All Eyez on Me he was rapping or serenading me.

In all fairness, the performance of the Momentum pre was impressive in many areas; however, it was just outclassed in most aspects by the KX-R Twenty. Had it not been up against an elite pre like the KX-R Twenty, the Dag pre's shortcomings may not have been quite as obvious. Certainly I could see how a person could prefer the Momentum pre in an overly sterile/cold system, have tastes in slower paced music exclusively and/or like the sweet coating of honey on their music.

Last edited by Bar81; 09-25-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:53 AM

If you are happy with the musicality of D'Agostino's Momentum's you could also try the newer Progression line which though not quite as musical would provide even more power to drive the Focals. They are also much less expensive.

I had the KX-R (not the Twenty) before I swapped it out for my Momentum pre-amp. Though in my case I preferred to sonic synergy of the all Momentum set-up, there are some functions in the K-XR that I do miss. You can't do wrong with either.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:07 PM

The progressions are massive. Seeing them in person was shocking - the pictures don't really convey how much larger they are than the momentums. Don't have the room in any case but maybe I'll take a listen later this week for fun.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:41 PM

There is a now a stereo version and the pre-amp is very cool looking.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:23 PM

Except that even one progression monoblock (used for the stereo version) is twice the size of the two M400s combined. Still massive in comparison.

Your earlier comment was interesting. While the MX-R to Twenty was an evolution, the KX-R to Twenty was a transformation bearing no resemblance to the original. Accordingly, I'm not sure what my decision would have been if I had to decide between the original KX-R and the Momentum pre, it's been too long since I heard the original KX-R.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:33 PM

I had a KX-R Twenty preamp with Classe monoblock amps and B&W 800D2 speakers for a few years and thoroughly enjoyed every minute. When I sent the preamp out for the Twenty upgrade I was very pleasantly surprised at how it flushed out details even better without any hint of harshness. Got the upgrade bug and moved to Boulder gear, but I would purchase that preamp again for a different system any time.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:05 AM

Very sad to hear the news about Charlie's passing at a very young 61 years of age. I guess in a sad way it is likely that the KX-R Twenty will remain the finest product he produced - an enduring legacy of a true craftsman.