AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2017, 03:21 PM

Default op-amp rolling: Forte Model 2 Pre-Amp

Over the last few days I have installed and "broken in" Sparkos Labs SS3601 discrete op amps in place of the stock LT1028 op amps that originally were in the line stage of my Forte Model 2 pre-amp. I decided to do this, because I have owned several very high-end pre-amps and consequently knew that while this was very nice sounding pre-amp it was missing a fair amount of SQ relative to the best out there. I've actually been contemplating this for over a year, but finally took the time to get the op-amp numbers so as to try something different over the holiday week.

To begin the process, I e-mailed Sparkos Labs with the existing op-amp information and requested their recommendation for an "upgrade". To my surprise Andrew Sparks (Sparkos himself) answered my e-mail - recommending the SS3601's. I placed and order and they were delivered in just a couple of days!

While I was hopeful that miniature discrete circuitry might improve the sound vs. a typical op-amp, I was not expecting much change. Boy, was I wrong. These op amps sound quite a bit better. I could go into a lot of detail, but that would probably be boring. What struck me most about the change is that the sound became much more "real" and far more effortless. Instruments and voices have a better defined position in space (imaging), and the soundstage is deeper and more 3D (width and height didn't change much). Bass sounds deeper and has a bit more drive with better pitch definition, and the highs are much sweeter AND more extended. Detail is enhanced, but the sound is also warmer and more inviting- more pleasant to listen to.

On vocals these devices seem to draw out a more clear sense of the chest and nasal sounds which causes the voices to sound more "natural" and organic. Being a brass player I am very pleased that the enhanced detail and warmth also gives brass instruments (as well as woodwinds) a greater sense of the air moving through the instrument and the "body" and resonance that brings as sense of realism. The sense of percussion from hammers hitting Piano strings is better portrayed now. There is also a noticeable decrease in "glare" or edge from piano and all stringed instruments. Drums and percussion also benefit from slightly better dynamics as well as enhanced detail and "body" along with an improvement in "air" and image specificity for locating cymbals, triangles, etc.

Depending on the listener I suppose these improvements would be described as anywhere from slight to significant. Having played in many a symphonic band, orchestra, Jazz band, etc. these changes are highly significant as they portray more of the recorded information and makes everything sound more like they do when listening to them live and un-amplified. More importantly for me, I'm now much happier with my pedantic and old school pre-amp as the Sparkos Labs discrete op-amps have elevated the Forte's performance to much higher (and more musical) level. I plan to replace the op-amps in the phono stage next and will update this afterwards - if anyone is interested. Note: All listening this far has been digital since I've not updated the phono stage op-amps yet.

FYI - I have no affiliation with Sparkos or any other audio company.