AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 08-15-2019, 01:54 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVphile View Post
@ Puma Cat

Your explanation of the hierarchy of Shunyata cables is interesting and valuable. Your last point -- about "black generic power cords" -- causes me some concern. My Krell FPB 200c amplifier's 20A power cord is fixed, and Krell emphasizes in the owner's manual that the amplifier should only be operated with that power cord.

Based on what I read in your recent posting, attaching that cord to the Denali 2000/T will denigrate that power conditioner's performance. Since I am stuck with the power cord which came with the Krell amplifier, have you any recommendations?
Hi AV,
My hypothesis is that the reason that the Krell's power cord is captive is because of the criticality of the requirement that a 20 Amp power cord be utilized, rather than anything "special" about the Krell PC vs. other power cords. My assumption is that the 20 Amp requirement is a strict operational and safety-driven requirement, and the reason it is a captive to prevent any operational and safety failure modes from occuring if, for example, an end-user were to substitute a 15 amp-rated power was used if it was an interchangeable power cord. Your best bet is to call Krell as ask specifically why this particular cord is mandated and is not interchangeable. My guess is it would be for the amperage rating requirement.

That being said, if its strictly due to the 20 amp requirement, its possible that a service technician could install a 20 amp C19 receptacle on the back of the amp so that a detachable Shunyata 20 Amp-rated C19 aftermarket power cord could be used. Obviously this would void any warranty and also remove Krell from any safety-related liabilities from using a non-OEM power cord. So, you'd have to decide on the possible risks associated with that for yourself.

With respect to attaching the Krell to the Denali 2000/T, I wouldn't use the term "denigrate" Denali's performance. Will you still obtain a benefit from Denali 2000/T? Yes, you will, and the improvement will be audible. I think its more accurate that to remember that the power distributor, power cords and the components all comprise a system. They all interact with one another. The key is to try maximize the synergistic interactions and minimize the ones that compromise maximal performance. With that concept in mind, your system may not obtain the maximal performance that the entire power distribution system (hence the swimming pool analogy: pool, water, swimmers) would be capable of if you use the Krell's OEM black power cord, because noise/RFI/EMI that gets into that OEM power cord could could end up being distributed the other device that is plugged into Denali 2000/T. That being said, if the Krell PC is of a special construction and design comparable to that in a Shunyata power cord, then you might be able to obtain maximal or close to maximal performance from the power distribution system. It all comes down to the quality of that power cord. Audio, like many things, is a set of choices and compromises, so you do the best you can with what you have.

My term "generic black power cords" relates to the consumer-grade, cheap, unshielded, fairly small gauge 18- and 16 AWG power cords that are so ubiquitous and supplied with most products these days.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 08-15-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:05 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVphile View Post
Good questions! Let me attempt to answer them as best I can. Here are the facts:

1. A Venom HC will be used to power the Denali 2000/T.
2. A Krell FPB-200c stereo amplifier and a Krell FPB-250mc mono amplifier will be connected to the Denali 2000/T. The 200c has its own [fixed] power cord; the 250mc will use another Venom HC. These two amplifiers drive my left/center/right speakers.
3. My Hydra-2 will be used in conjunction with the amplifiers driving my two subwoofers.
4. My Krell KAV-250 stereo amplifier will plug directly into a wall socket under a Venom Defender. This amplifier is used to drive the two side speakers of my 7.4 audio system.
5. I have two "available" Shunyata power cords: a Copperhead and a Sidewinder Gold.

I am trending towards using the Copperhead with the Hydra-2 and the Sidewinder Gold with the Krell KAV-250. My reasoning is based on the fact that the subwoofers are always important and the Copperhead is a more advanced power cord, whereas my side speakers perform a mere secondary function when watching movies.

As I said in my initial posting, I am not keen on contorting myself to swap cords in order to determine whether I can detect a difference between them. I far prefer to install them once and then live with that installation. I started this thread to elicit comments from forum participants who have some familiarity with two now obsolete Shunyata power cords and, thus, could offer me any insight as to which configuration is more likely to sound better.
Thanks, AV,

With the power cords you have, I think your proposed plan is the best one.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:32 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
You should go work for Shunyata...very well explained!

I've always found their lines hard to figure out, but this helps. Is it true that the NR cords are designed to be used WITHOUT a power conditioner? Or at least without a Shunyata power conditioner? And the EF are used WITH a Shunyata power conditioner? I have Alpha HC now.
Yes, you can use the NR cords without a power conditioner. They were designed for applications where placing or using a power distributor that provides noise suppression functionality was not feasible, practical, or possible due to budgetary constraints.

And for use with older power distributors where there was no or a lesser degree of the current Shunyata noise suppression technology (for example, my Hydra 4 has no NR functionality, and my Triton V1 has some, but not as much as Denali or Triton V3). They can also be used in conjunction with Shunyata power distributors that have NR functionality, e.g. Denali, and the new Performance line, as well, of course.

EF power cords, given that they don't have the same type/class of noise suppression functionality that the NR series has, are best used with a power distributor that provides some level of noise suppression, e.g. Denali or the new Performance line of distributors.

Also, IIRC, what Caelin and Grant have stated that the "mission brief" of the new NR-Venom series was to bring the Shunyata NR power technology "downstream" to as broad a range of applications, customers and budgets as possible.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 08-15-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:46 PM

Many thanks, Puma Cat.

Main System: Theta Casablanca V preamp/processor; Wadia 8 CD transport and Digimaster DDC 2000 DAC (w/all updates); Theta Compli CD transport; Oppo UDP-203 disc player; Lumin T2 music server/DAC; Roon Nucleus+ core (w/Teddy Pardo LPS); SOTA Sapphire turntable (w/ Premier FT3 arm and Hana SL cartridge); SugarCube SC-2 non-destructive "click and pop" removal device; PS Audio Stellar phono preamp; Magnum Dynalab MD-102 FM tuner (w/MD-205 Signal Sleuth FM antenna amplifier and ST-2 FM antenna); McIntosh MC 611 (3), Krell FPB 200C, and KAV-250a power amplifiers; Revel Ultima Studio (2 - L&R), Voice (1 - center), and Embrace (2 sides and 2 surrounds) speakers; SVS PB-16 Ultra (2) and 3000 Micro (2) powered subwoofers; WireWorld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables; various Kimber Kable, MIT, Shunyata, and WireWorld interconnects; Shunyata Denali 2000/T (2), Denali 6000/S, Hydra [original], Hydra 2, and Venom PS10 power conditioners; various Shunyata Delta, Venom, PowerSnake, and Sidewinder power cords, and Venom Defenders (2); Richard Gray's Power Company Substation and 400 Pro; Luxul AGS-1024 Ethernet switch; Sound Anchor amplifier stand; VTI (2) and Billy Bags (4) equipment racks.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:09 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Where you go with Shunyata power cords and why depends on your specification configuration and requirements.

The Shunyata power cord line historically had been a fairly complex product nomenclature, with models named after various snakes, but in recent years, Grant and Caelin have done a very good job of simplifying and clarifying the power cord product portfolio and nomenclature.

There are four broad lines of power cords with "descending" levels functionality and performance as you move down the product lines.

Starting at the very top and then descending:
  1. Sigma
  2. Alpha
  3. Delta
  4. Venom

Venom is the entry-level and Sigma is the top of the line. Each line provides more performance as you move up from Venom.

There are two broad classes of cords within each line:
  1. NR for "built-in" noise-reduction
  2. EF for "extra flexibility"

So, for example, within the Delta range, there is an NR power cord and an EF power cord.

NR power cords provide built-in, inline Noise Reduction functionality.

EF power cords provide extra-flexibility where routing or placement behind racks or confined spaces is a problem. They do not provide the noise suppression functionality that the NR power cords provide. The EF power cords are thus best used in conjunction with a Shunyata power distributor that provides NR functionality, e.g. a Denali, Triton V3, or the new Performance line (Delta, Alpha and Sigma line).

First and foremost a power cord needs to provide DTCD: Dynamic Current Transient Delivery: the ability to swing large amounts of current very quickly to allow the specific component it is driving the current it needs in the time frame it needs it to follow the dynamic swings of the musical content. This is the #1 top requirement for a power cord and is higher in priority than other requirements e.g. noise-reduction or flexibility, resistance to RFI/EMI, etc. This is also why Shunyata provides a specification for the amount of current that can be delivered per unit time. The applications where DTCD and high-current delivery are the most critical are power distributors and power amps, though other components can benefit from them, including DACs and preamps.

NR power cords are primarily intended for where the use of a noise-reduction power distributor is not possible, either due to placement, application or budget-constraints, or for use with older Shunyata power distributors that don't have much much in the way of built-in noise reduction e.g. the older Hydra 4, Hydra 6 or the Venom PS8 (and for some that have some level of NR, e.g. Hydra 8, V-Ray and Triton V1). So, for example, if you only have the possibility or budget for powering a component from a wall AC receptacle, you can still obtain noise reduction functionality by using a Shunyata NR power cord to power your component directly from the wall receptacle. The NR power cords not only provide noise suppression from noise coming in to the component, they also provide noise suppression from the component's internal power supply from coming back out of the component to contaminate other components in the amplification chain. In this respect, they provide some level of "component-to-component isolation".

Of course, you can use an NR power cord with a Denali or the new Performance line power distributors, the NR will be additive to what level of NR these distributors also provide.

The EF power cords are designed to be extra-flexible for routing and placement behind audio racks and/or spaces where a heavier gauge or stiffer power cords would be challenging. They provide excellent DTCD as well as protection from RFI/EMI.

The Venom line is a little bit more differentiated than Delta, Alpha or Sigma in that there are some more variants within the Venom power cord line. This is to bring Shunyata power cord products and functionality to as broad a range of customers, their budgets and applications as possible (more on this below). They are again split into NR and non-NR versions.

Venom-NR series:
Venom NR-V10
Venom NR-V12
Venom V-14 Digital

The Venom NR-V10 and V-12 are intended for providing noise-reduction for the principal amplification components in a system. For example, a NR V-10 can power virtually any power distributors or amplifiers. For example, Jim Treanor is uisng an NR-V10 for powering his original Hydra power distributor.

V-12 is well suited for use with pre-amps, DACs, phono stages. For example, I'm presently using an NR-V10 for powering my power amp and a V-12 for power my DAC. Eventually, I'll probably be using an NR-V12 for my phono stage and preamp as well.

Venom V-14 Digital was developed out of technology from Shunyata's sister company, Clear Image Scientific, is primarily intended for use with "digital front-end" steaming components e.g. music servers, NAS', optical drives, cable modems, routers, switches, and the power supplies for these as well as the power supplies for network bridges and fiber media convertors, etc. They also have the capability of reducing "parasitic noise" which is common and insidious with these types of digital devices. I'm using one of these for powering my Mac Mini Roon Core, the Keces P3 that powers my SOtM Network Bridge, and my Sonore OpticalModule fiber media convertor. V-14 digital also comes in various plug configurations, e.g. C13, C7, C5, etc.

Non-NR Venom PCs
Venom HC Version 2: the newest version of the high DTCD-capable Venom
Venom EF: An extra-flexible Venom power cord
Venom 14: a 14-gauge Venom power cord for use with lower-current devices e.g. disc players, tuners, headphone amps, etc., and video applications e.g. set-top boxes, etc. Venom 14 is available in a number of plug configurations e.g. C13, C7, C7P, and C5.

One last point: its useful to think of your power distribution system as a "swimming pool". You want the pool to be filled with fresh, clean, clear water for all your components. As such, you absolutely don't want any power cords connecting to the pool to be throwing "mud" into the water. This is what happens when you connect a single black generic power cord to a power distribution system. The water becomes muddy, and the muddy water is shared by "everyone". So, its very important to use high-quality, "clean", quiet power cords that are not going to "muddy the waters" in your power distributiion chain to then contaminate your entire amplification chain. To use anything less defeats the maximal functionality provided by your nice power distributor.

So, let's say you have a budget of $4000 for an entire power distribution system including distributor & power cords. It would be much better to spend $2000 on a Shunyata Delta D6, and then ~$1800 for four Shunyata $450 NR-V10s for all your components than $2000 for a higher-specification power distributor, and $2000 for a single, expensive power cord and black generic power cords for everything else. The key is to get all the generic black power cords completely out of the system.

Hope this helps to clarify the Shunyata power cord line and respective applications. I'll leave it to Grant and Caelin to chime in if I've been inaccurate or missed anything of note.

Wow! Thanks Stephan. It’s going to take me some focused time to fully digest this.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack