AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Movies

Movies Past, Current & Future

Old 12-15-2017, 10:43 PM
Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Yeah it’s pretty interesting, Star Wars fan reviews have pretty much been universally negative in a big way yet critic reviews have been overwhelmingly positive. That pretty much does align with my thoughts......I think as a film per se it was very good but my God as a Star Wars film looking for adventure, fun, princesses, swashbucklers, Jedi and lightsabers it was not good. I left the theatre thinking the movie itself wasn’t bad but WTF did I just watch?

- Buck
IMDB gives it an 8.1, Rotten Tomatoes gives in 93%. I wouldn't call that negative. Now I will reserve judgement until I see it on Tuesday.
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/ Goldring
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Phono Pre...…..Sutherland Insight

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Record Cleaning Machine...….Okki Nokki
DAC................Bryston BDA-3
Headphones.....Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX /
Sennheiser HD-660S
Headphone Amp.....Bryston BHA-1
Cables....Amp to preamp - Morrow MA4
Preamp to DAC - Morrow MA4
Preamp to Headphone Amp - Morrow MA2
Old 12-15-2017, 10:59 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
IMDB gives it an 8.1, Rotten Tomatoes gives in 93%. I wouldn't call that negative. Now I will reserve judgement until I see it on Tuesday.
That’s what I wrote, the critics reviews have been good, it’s the average fan’s reviews that have been borderline nuclear.
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 12-16-2017, 01:26 AM

Did not like it at all. Built up a bunch of characters for nothing. Stupid jokes, irrelevant scenes and story lines (if you can call them that), stupid/silly powers of the force and basically run out of ideas already (basically didn’t know what to do with the Rebels for the whole film). Oh, and such poor, boring set design. At least the music was better.

My hope now lies with the spin-off films. The Star Wars franchise is losing me fast!
Trevor's Home Theatre: McIntosh MX121, McIntosh MC601, McIntosh MC207, McIntosh MLD7020, OPPO BDP95, JVC DLA950, Stewert Screen Studio Tek 130G3, B&W 802D2, B&W HTM2D2, B&W DS8, Klipsch KL 525, Velodyne DD15, WireWorld & IsoTek Cables

Old 12-16-2017, 10:11 AM
Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcher10 View Post
Saw it last night with the family and some of their friends. We bought 10 tickets and let my kids bring a friend....It was a great evening just from that perspective.

I too thought the movie was excellent, I'm 53 and yes a Star Wars fan from day 1...My wife, although will not call herself a SW geek, is truly a SW geek, she was more excited about the movie than all of us put together, she kept saying all day at work she was pumped! That's awesome!!!

There were a few low spots, as in any movie with especially a 2.5hr movie. I think it left off in a good place.

And yes the Star Wars story is clearly one of the greatest, if not the GOAT, story lines ever created. At this stage in the game the volume of spin offs and direction can literally go anywhere....The galaxy is pretty big
Hey Audioguy3107 did you two see the same movie?
Eroica LX MC Cartridge

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Sennheiser HD-660S
Old 12-16-2017, 10:14 AM
From the BAT cave ...

I saw it yesterday. I will reserve most of my comments so as not to accidentally reveal spoilers. I thought it was money well spent and that it was better than The Force Awakens.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:10 AM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Hey Audioguy3107 did you two see the same movie?
Ha! Yeah, I know, but even though my age doesn’t fit with the grumpy old man stereotype, I guess when it comes to Star Wars I’m that in spades. I loved the originals and didn’t want the storyline to deviate from the original formula that made the series what it is. I think history will be the ultimate judge of where TLJ fits in the hierarchy, but I’ve never seen such a disparity between critics and the average fans before. Usually it’s the other way around with the critics being too harsh, guess that shows that the diehard Star Wars fan is getting older and more nostalgic?

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 12-16-2017, 01:32 PM
Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Ha! Yeah, I know, but even though my age doesn’t fit with the grumpy old man stereotype, I guess when it comes to Star Wars I’m that in spades. I loved the originals and didn’t want the storyline to deviate from the original formula that made the series what it is. I think history will be the ultimate judge of where TLJ fits in the hierarchy, but I’ve never seen such a disparity between critics and the average fans before. Usually it’s the other way around with the critics being too harsh, guess that shows that the diehard Star Wars fan is getting older and more nostalgic?

- Buck
Maybe you went in with your expectations too high, or you went in expecting to not like the movie and you kept looking for the things to nit pick at. I've done both of these at certain movies. I walked into the new Star Trek movie in 2009, with the new cast, determined not to like it. I had 2 friends with me who are trekkies, so I figured to have a good knock down drag out with the two of them. I walked out after really enjoying it. Who knew.
Eroica LX MC Cartridge

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Sennheiser HD-660S
Old 12-16-2017, 04:09 PM

I enjoyed it!
Home Theater: Sonos->MCD1100,Oppo 105D,Cary 306/200,MVP-871->SP3->C500T->MC501x3+MC402x2+MC252->PL300+F113x2+PL350+4xPL InWall+PL100,PL100 in games room,VPL-VW500ES, Shunyata Sigma HCx3, Shunyata Analogx2, Alpha HCx2, Alpha Digital, Wire World Silver Electra x8
Great Room: BDP-09FD,Sonos->MCD500->MX119->MC501x3+2xMA700s->PL200+PLC150+GRFX+F112,PRO-141FD
Kid's Room: Sonos,Oppo 95->MX119->HCA1200mkii+4xMA700s->GR20s+FB210+GRLCR+2xGRFX,PRO-101FD
Home Gym: Sonos->Oppo 105->MC252->GR10s+FB210,TC-P55ST60
Office at work: Cary 306/200, Michell Gyro SE w/TechnoArm+Meastro Wood->6900->GR10s+SB12-Plus
Cottage: iPod,Oppo 95->Marantz SR7009->PSB Silver+ GRLCR+Silver FXi, MA700+PSB Mini in sunroom
Old 12-16-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Maybe you went in with your expectations too high, or you went in expecting to not like the movie and you kept looking for the things to nit pick at. I've done both of these at certain movies. I walked into the new Star Trek movie in 2009, with the new cast, determined not to like it. I had 2 friends with me who are trekkies, so I figured to have a good knock down drag out with the two of them. I walked out after really enjoying it. Who knew.
That's a good point...My expectations were not very high, and not because of anything other than I want the movie to determine my outcome. I am very neutral when it comes to movie, and for that matter a live concert.

I reserve all my judgement for afterwards, when I experience the full force of the moment.

After all, these things are meant for entertainment......Clear your mind, thoughts and just let it flow brother!!
Old 12-16-2017, 07:11 PM

The reaction of the nearly sold out theater in which I viewed it was very into it, and the vibe was up and up. There was a lot of letting it flow going on.

I wish everyone had enjoyed their viewing as much as my adult son and I did.