AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
The volume control in the app does not allow controlling the HAP-Z1ES volume output. I believe the app volume control functionality is only for the HAP-S1 server. I agree the HAP-Z1ES doesn't appear to be the best device for what you're trying to do. You would simply connect your phone to the router via wifi, nothing to do with the phone's hotspot capabilities (or lack thereof). Then connect the sony to the same router. The app will automatically find the HAP-Z1ES.
The Sony HAP is designed control the volume of an amplifier connected to it. The amp does not have to be a Sony amp. You can use an IR blaster to control other amps. To do this, you must first connect the amp to the Sony HAP via the settings in the Sony HAP. Once the amp is connected, you can control power and volume in the amp via the App.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
The Sony HAP is designed control the volume of an amplifier connected to it. The amp does not have to be a Sony amp. You can use an IR blaster to control other amps. To do this, you must first connect the amp to the Sony HAP via the settings in the Sony HAP. Once the amp is connected, you can control power and volume in the amp via the App.
Ahh yes. But for his proposed setup with powered speakers, the volume control in the app would not work. He could introduce a preamp though....
Old 07-31-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
As someone mentioned earlier, you might be able to create your own (personal) wifi that is not connected to the Internet. Then you can use an iOS app or android app to control the Sony. The App allows you to control the volume in the Sony.

The Sony unit costs $2k and you plan to use it in what is likely not an ideal environment for listening to music (your office). Have you considered a lower cost device that can play hi-resolution files for a fraction of the cost? The Sony NWZ-A17 is a unit made by Sony that may fit the bill for you. You can play it via Bluetooth. You can find Bluetooth devices that can connect to your speakers. And it will set you back less than $300 as opposed to $2 grands.
Sorry I missed your post as I was in the middle of creating my own new post. I will definitely do research on the A17 you mention. Thank you for the suggestion!
Old 07-31-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiham View Post
Sorry I missed your post as I was in the middle of creating my own new post. I will definitely do research on the A17 you mention. Thank you for the suggestion!
Here is a review of the A17 just in case.
http://www.pooraudiophile.com/2015/0...eview.html?m=1
Old 07-31-2016, 12:46 PM

I had never heard MP3 played via the Sony until now (Spotify). With DSEE engaged, here is what the Sony is doing to the MP3 stream...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-1645119370.jpg (23.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-01-2016, 08:15 PM
Rebellious!

Quote:
I had never heard MP3 played via the Sony until now (Spotify). With DSEE engaged, here is what the Sony is doing to the MP3 stream...

nicoff.. thank you for sharing this marketing graphic.

This does not tell us anything. No units, scale etc.. Please tell us if you find that the DSEE HX engine feature makes a measurable difference to you.

Technote:

Spotify uses 3 quality ratings for streaming, all in the Ogg Vorbis format.

~96 kbps
Normal quality on mobile.
~160 kbps
Desktop and web player standard quality.
High quality on mobile.
~320 kbps (only available to Premium subscribers)
Desktop high quality.
Extreme quality on mobile.

Link:https://support.spotify.com/us/using...for-streaming/

What is Ogg Vorbis?

Link:https://www.xiph.org/vorbis/

Vorbis.com: FAQ
Old 08-01-2016, 10:39 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
nicoff.. thank you for sharing this marketing graphic. This does not tell us anything. No units, scale etc.. Please tell us if you find that the DSEE HX engine feature makes a measurable difference to you. [/URL]
Bill, Thank you for politely pointing out what I was thinking. That is pure marketing garbage. What I hear from using DSEE is similar to a 'Loudness' engine. Craig
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 08-02-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
nicoff.. thank you for sharing this marketing graphic. This does not tell us anything. No units, scale etc.. Please tell us if you find that the DSEE HX engine feature makes a measurable difference to you.
I mentioned earlier that Spotify sounds excellent via the Sony. Much wider soundstage, clearer sound and voices. Now, this unit has two types of enhancements: the DSEE and the DSD remastering engine. To what degree each is contributing, I don't know. But the sound difference is remarkable.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:21 AM

Crwilli, by now you should have been able to listen to your music played by the Sony. What is the verdict?
Also, what are your impressions of Spotify played via the Sony as compared to other sources?
Old 08-02-2016, 11:03 AM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Crwilli, by now you should have been able to listen to your music played by the Sony. What is the verdict? Also, what are your impressions of Spotify played via the Sony as compared to other sources?
I have had some short listening sessions and it sounds very good. Not sure I like the DSEE EQ circuit or the up sampling to DSD but haven't really had enough time with them yet. For what my friend wants, this unit is perfect. Once it is loaded and the database and SenseMe stuff is done, he should be able to just listen to his music. He is getting a Krell integrated and likely some Focal speakers to round out his overseas system. He will probably not be able to listen to Spotify in Jakarta so I haven't signed up for it.

I have written some notes about my early experience with this product that I will share once it is fully setup, stable and I can sit down to type them up.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack