AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 04-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Racing Hoopties

Default Which OPPO?

If I can get a used OPPO 95 or 103 for roughly the same price which one do I get?

Lots of people seem to be going to the new 105 and selling their old 103 and 95's...
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 04-20-2013, 05:13 PM

Old 04-20-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
If I can get a used OPPO 95 or 103 for roughly the same price which one do I get?

Lots of people seem to be going to the new 105 and selling their old 103 and 95's...
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhog View Post
Depends on how you are going to use it. One can make a valid case either way.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:07 AM
Racing Hoopties

Mostly as a DVD Blu Ray player in the family room home theater sometimes used to play CDs or perhaps stream music via a Sonos connect.

I lean toward the less expensive 103 but like the idea of the better DACs for audio of the 95...

Saving $ is important as it will go toward a better DAC in my audio man cave...
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 04-21-2013, 11:02 AM

Are you connecting it to the HT with HDMI, S/PDIF or with analog?
Old 04-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Racing Hoopties

I will connect the audio to my Lex MC1 via both S/PDIF and analog to see which one sounds best. Likely analog. The video signal will go directly to my Panasonic plasma via HDMI.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:32 PM

If you use the analog outs, the BDP-105.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:30 PM

I have a similar question, though with slightly different setup parameters. I am planning to do away with CD playback in my 2 channel system and migrate to computer file based playback exclusively. However I would like to keep an inexpensive transport hooked up to my DAC for the occassional Cd (I have approximately 1000 cd's so it will be a while before I can rip all of them). I am currently using my oppo 83 as a transport and is it surprisingly good. I am debating on upgrading to the 103 or 105. When used strictly as transport for CD playback, would there be a major difference between these two?
Cheers,
Sid
Old 04-22-2013, 11:09 AM

No. The 103 has the same abilities to use file access via USB and via Ethernet. So, as long as you do not use the analog outs or require the digital inputs (for use of the Oppo's DACs), the 103 should do just as well.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:10 PM

My understanding of the MC-1, although I have never heard it, is:
  • It digitizes all inputs
  • It has a pretty good 8 channel DAC in it
Given you will only ever hear the MC-1's DAC, it makes no sense to me to get a 95/105