AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 09-17-2018, 04:54 PM

Default Moving data to BDP3

I haven't tried this yet but am wondering if someone else has. I am burning a large cd library to my computer and then transferring it over the network to the hard drive on my BDP3. I'm using DB PowerAmp to rip the cd's to FLAC.

My question is - would it be faster to place the data on a flash drive, plug it into the BDP3 and move it from the flash drive to the hard drive?

Moving over the network is taking a lot of time and I'm not moving that many albums all at once.

Jack
Old 09-17-2018, 09:53 PM

Jack-

I just did this. Moving data from an external drive to the BDP3 cannot be done by directly connecting the external drive to the BDP.

Using the built in WiFi on my BDP-3, music was transferred from my computer to the SSD in the BDP 3 wirelessly using the my Bryston website. 465 gb of data took about 23 or 24 hours. The files are in the AIFF format so are larger your flacs. It worked real well! Of the approx 875 or so albums, only 14 went array. This was due to meta data errors. Deleting those files from the BDP3 ssd and correcting the meta data using dbpoweramp then reloading brought those albums in correctly.

Chris Rice at Bryston was a great help with a question or two in this process. Bryston's customer support ROCKS!
Old 09-18-2018, 01:29 AM

Thanks for the post and response. Something I'll have to deal with one of these days.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the reply. I was looking for a short cut I'll keep on trucking. I was trying to burn them in alphabetical order (a bit of OCD) but keep finding ones I haven't heard in a long time and skipping them to the head of the class.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:29 PM

Quite frankly, I see no need for a built in hard drive. If you have 6 to 8 USB drives at 256 gigs each, that should be more than enough space for you musical collection.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Quite frankly, I see no need for a built in hard drive. If you have 6 to 8 USB drives at 256 gigs each, that should be more than enough space for you musical collection.
I like keeping it simple, and uncluttered. So, the idea of a single internal hard drive, vs a handful of HDDs and power and signal cables is VERY appealing to me.

To each his own, though. I've ordered a Roon Nucleus plus, and have to decide whether to put the SSD in the Roon, or in the BDP3.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
I like keeping it simple, and uncluttered. So, the idea of a single internal hard drive, vs a handful of HDDs and power and signal cables is VERY appealing to me.

To each his own, though. I've ordered a Roon Nucleus plus, and have to decide whether to put the SSD in the Roon, or in the BDP3.
I find it better to have the USB drives as after a while, you know what artist and song are on which drive so to me it helps separated things better. I have a 2 Terabyte hard drive that I store music attached to my computer. I'd hate to have all that music on a built i hard drive as it would be a hassle to find certain compositions due to its size.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

I'd hate to have all that music on a built i hard drive as it would be a hassle to find certain compositions due to its size.

That’s where Roon comes in...
Old 09-18-2018, 06:30 PM

Default Moving data to BDP3

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

I agree with you about the single drive being the way to go. And if you get a NAS, it is even better.

Now, regarding where to put the SSD... you get the most benefit by putting it in the Nucleus machine because that’s where the database search engine is located and where all the processing and indexing is taking place.

Last edited by nicoff; 09-18-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:58 AM

I am liking this digital stuff more and more especially with the bump in SQ from the BDP3!
While I still like the idea of the SSD locally mounted, using an external HD in its USB worked well too. A 4 tb LaCie can be had for about $100. I can also understand why so many folks are fans of NAS.

Now being intrigued with ROON, is a Nucleus necessary as the BDP 3 is ROON ready?