AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-09-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golucid View Post
Elberoth, I improved performance with the RAM upgrade. The OS is able to write more data to the RAM as well as create more virtual memory/caching space on the the drive.

Performance now: No lag. Instantaneous. No bumps or stutters. It rocks!

Also, the Samsung Pro is a superior performing drive than the Kingston - the Kingston has disappointing specifications in my opinion. This is a no brainer. Were possible, I minimized bottleneck performance. I literally transformed the unit into something really awesome. I now love the MB100!

McIntosh used fairly cheap parts and it makes fiscal sense that they did. I improved the quality on my own dime. My next search, faster CL RAM. While not necessary... I want to experience a difference, if any. Why not try... I like risks and I do not care if I void my warranty. I'll just buy another.

All in all, the changes I made as said above, transformed the unit and for me at least, worthwhile. I no longer have a complaint about the MB100... well. The APP needs some work... but that is an entirely different post.
Not really buying into the faster SSD story (mind you: I think the Samsung 850PRO is a great SSD, I even have one in my CAPS v4 Pipeline project, just don't believe switching SSDs may make a preciveable difference) but will try more RAM option.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
Not really buying into the faster SSD story (mind you: I think the Samsung 850PRO is a great SSD, I even have one in my CAPS v4 Pipeline project, just don't believe switching SSDs may make a preciveable difference) but will try more RAM option.
I respect your position. In this high-end audio community, everything is optional. For example, my argument, I don't hear audible differences with high-end cabling. Because I don't believe doesn't mean it's a fact. In fact, many awesome AA members beg-to-differ [disagree]. Because I respect so many of the folks here and their thoughts, I purchased my first pair of Wire World Speaker Cables from Ivan. I am willing to give it a fair try That said, just because I say, "I don't hear it" doesn't mean it's not true. Perception is each individuals own reality. My beliefs and expectations are unique to myself.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:00 PM

Elberoth, being a long term MS750 owner, I am very much in tune with failure rates and how to reduce them given my investment in this equipment. David's choice of the Samsung Pro as a replacement for the OS and well as the hard drive give me much more confidence that this unit will last much longer than my beloved MS750 has. If it means dumping a couple of hundred bucks into some SSD's and keeping my original drives as back up, I am onboard. Something to consider being that this unit is so new, I would definitely consider backs and going the conservative route with the SSD's given the failure rates of hard drives. The speed to me is an added bonus! IMHO. Thanks David for an unreal roadmap on how to navigate the MB100!
Old 04-10-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golucid View Post
Perception is each individuals own reality.
Speed is not a perception. It is sth you can measure.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcurtis View Post
Elberoth, being a long term MS750 owner, I am very much in tune with failure rates and how to reduce them given my investment in this equipment. David's choice of the Samsung Pro as a replacement for the OS and well as the hard drive give me much more confidence that this unit will last much longer than my beloved MS750 has. If it means dumping a couple of hundred bucks into some SSD's and keeping my original drives as back up, I am onboard. Something to consider being that this unit is so new, I would definitely consider backs and going the conservative route with the SSD's given the failure rates of hard drives. The speed to me is an added bonus! IMHO. Thanks David for an unreal roadmap on how to navigate the MB100!
Now, this is sth we can actually discuss.

Has anyone seen any recent reliability comparos for the SSD drives ?

I found this blog enrtry interesting:

https://anturis.com/blog/ssd-reliability-in-2014/

The author states that There is not much difference between the different types of SSDs in terms of reliability and speed.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:05 PM

I'll circle back to the CMOS battery debate. The average believed life is 3-4 years. However, argued they can last 7-15 years. OK...I've used SSDs since they pretty much debuted. I've never had one fail.

Even in the best of sceneries, all things can fail, yes?

That said and discussed in another thread, the importance of a disaster recovery plan - back up your data.

Last edited by Golucid; 04-10-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:18 PM

New vertical SSD Samsung's 850 pro carry a 10 year warranty. Very fast, cool almost no heat and never had a failure either. I build over 200 systems a year.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhog View Post
New vertical SSD Samsung's 850 pro carry a 10 year warranty. Very fast, cool almost no heat and never had a failure either. I build over 200 systems a year.
Bingo!
Old 04-10-2015, 10:33 PM

WD Hard Drive vs Samsung PRO. No brainer. Speed to access data has to be quicker as well.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:51 PM

The 850 PRO is the top dog, intel is coming out with a 750 chip set for PCIx slot based SSDs this month. You have to have a PC with a motherboard and support for that technology. This will out run even the latest 850 PROs. big $$$$!

Note Crucial as well has a new drive that is dam fast. The diff on the new Samsung's is the controller in the pro Samsung. The Samsung MGX Controller is in the EVO and a Samsung MEX Controller in the PRO series. Not to mention vertical stacked data.

I have over 25 SSD drives sitting in stock at all price points, and have done major testing on them in stand alone, raid all modes, SSHD Hybrids, Server drives, SAS drives etc.

Unless you are going to spring for a $1500+ Raid controller like an Acrea and go with Constellation series Sata / SAS drives with 128 meg cache, forget it. Bang for the $$$ is in the SSDs.

Or a raid SCSI controller and 15000 RPM drives etc duh, that is the fastest, but for that price you can buy a lot of stuff. Meant for servers in machine data centers etc...

They are cool, run a long long time, no moving parts etc. Dang fast too!

David did a great job on this thread and this is a perfect upgrade that will give better sound.

See all hard drives that spin, and even lesser performance SSDs have to cache data, when they pause you can get sound drop outs.

In almost every Blu-Ray movie you own you will see 1 o2 or more drop outs. it is data loss packets etc that do that during the authoring process

Long Live laser Disc.. .no MPEG compression like a dvd etc. Nice big 12" disc and CAV yes that should be the standard and it could be made better.

We use to backup terabytes of data even 20+ years ago at SoCal Edision to these 12" disc in the 90s very very fast!

Last edited by djwhog; 04-10-2015 at 10:53 PM.