AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 03-13-2024, 02:41 PM

Default Cables do matter

I had decent components in my theater but something was always off.
B&W speakers, Mcintosh Amps. and I cycled out processors over the years. Mcintosh MX119 to MX150 to Anthem AVM60 to Lyngdorf MP40 always with Kimber kable throughout.

The main catalyst for upgrading my components was I was having to turn volume to 80% or higher for it to be at a decent listening level in my theater. So I bought bigger amps- I achieved a better sound but had the same issues with volume. Next I bought better speakers I swapped B&W CM9's for Focal Sopra 2's, Sopra Center and Surrounds - This achieved more detail and bigger sound stage- but with the equipment I have I knew something wasn’t right. Next I treated the room acoustics I figured it had to be the reflection, again better but still not what it should be. So I messaged back and forth with the engineers at Lyngdorf and they said it had to be the volume reference level when I was doing my roomperfect calibration so I re ran it multiple times using different starting points all yielded the same result. Very frustrating when with 13 speakers it takes over an hour each time. While all this was going on I had been communication with Ivan- Not about my volume issue - but to upgrade my speaker cablers for the Focals - He suggested Wireword. I Immediately noticed the detail the WW brought out and was pleased. Next i ordered more cables for my surround speakers so it would all match. Next I thought lets go all in on WW and asked him to recommend xlr interconnects to replace my Kimber PBJ. They arrived last night and as soon as I put them in I had to turn the volume down from my regular listening level. At first I really noticed the little extra they provided on the high frequencies - but then I was floored by what they did for the mid bass it just wasn’t really there before. Prior I only heard the bass when it was directed to my subwoofers. Now I can listen to 2 channel with out subs. Truly amazing!!! IT was the damn cables all along.

certain things are subjective like how a cable can change the sound - but an increase in volume level is measurable - CABLES DO MATTER!

In any event - dealing with Ivan is an absolute pleasure - if you need anything I would defiantly reach out to him without hesitation.

Time to swap out my video cables now...
Old 03-13-2024, 03:03 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Outstanding, happy to help!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 03-13-2024, 03:57 PM
Retired

Shorty - you've got that right.
Discovered the value of good cables in the previous century. Is one of my "audio epiphanies". Am 100% WireWorld for ICs & speaker cables & Shunyata for power cords. Could not be happier.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-13-2024, 04:48 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

I know it’s a debated issue, but cables do matter. We have Albedo cables and have heard nothing better to date.please ask Oz for a demo if you are interested. There’re costly but worth it.

I’m experimenting in our second system. We may have something different, just to have it different. However, different doesn’t necessarily mean better, as with all audio equip!

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 03-14-2024, 07:26 PM

I recently switched from a Wireworld mini Eclipse 7 speaker cable to an Eclipse 8 Speaker cable. The Eclipse 8 significantly improved the sound stage. Wireworld makes excellent cables. Congratulations!

Tube System: PS Audio Dectet - McIntosh MR88 - Innous ZenMini - Chord Qutest - WireWorld Eclipse 8 Cables - McIntosh C22V & MC275 - Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor - Stillpoints & IsoAcoustics Gaia III
Old 03-14-2024, 10:40 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Here's what is going on from an systems engineering perspective: our stereo setups are a system that mediates a...transfer function, Y=f(x). Electrical signal energy (from the source) is amplified and ultimately tranposed into mechanical energy driving loudspeakers or headphones (in systems engineering, this is referred to as the "functional response")

The various components, including the source, amplification, are the control factors and "drive" the functional response heard by listening to the transducers, and their departure from "ideality" is due to...noise factors.

The cables in the system connect the various "energy sources" together, and the propogating signal is an EM wave, it is not a "flow of electrons" like water in hose or marbles in a tube. Source cables, e.g. digital cables, interconnects, etc, are susceptible to a whole class of noise factors. Just as one example, sources cable are susceptible to low- and high-source leakage impedance current, deterministic jitter, threshold jitter, phase noise, triboelectric noise, and longitudinal EM wave noise, as well as ground-plane noise.

Speaker cables are susceptible to current resonances and vibration imparted to the cable, and power cables are susceptible to noise from vibration, noise on the AC mains, and noise from the full-wave bridge rectifiers of the power supplies of the amplification components themselves (e.g. impulse noise, etc.)

All the cables tie the source, amplification, and transduction componentry together into a SYSTEM, as such, this system is susceptible to all these NOiSE factors combining together, and causing the transfer function to depart from IDEALITY, which results in the blur, slur, buzz, hash, grit, grain we all can hear. As well as the impact on transient response, neutrality, tonality, timbre, and dynamics.

Well-designed and engineered cables maximize their respective type of energy transfer (the control function) while miniminzing the impact of the all various noise factors that cause the control function to depart from its ideal functional response, add variance, or both.

So, from a system engineering perspective, that's why cables matter, because they are just as much a part of the system as the componenets themselves. Ultimately, at the end of the day, it always comes down to...PHYSICS.

Cheers.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 03-14-2024 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:28 AM

The engineering perspective of WireWorld led me to the Eclipse 8 Series, and I have been thrilled with the results.

I find myself intrigued by Shunyata Research and wonder how their designs would impact my sound compared to the Eclipse Series 8.

Tube System: PS Audio Dectet - McIntosh MR88 - Innous ZenMini - Chord Qutest - WireWorld Eclipse 8 Cables - McIntosh C22V & MC275 - Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor - Stillpoints & IsoAcoustics Gaia III
Old 03-15-2024, 09:37 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMan View Post
The engineering perspective of WireWorld led me to the Eclipse 8 Series, and I have been thrilled with the results.

I find myself intrigued by Shunyata Research and wonder how their designs would impact my sound compared to the Eclipse Series 8.
Rent some in and see what you think. I’d suggest Alpha v2 or Sigma v2 as compared to the Eclipse 8.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-15-2024, 04:02 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMan View Post

We need to talk…
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES