AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 09-26-2018, 10:54 PM

Default WOM Townhouse Visit

I’ve been thinking about taking advantage of the Trade Up program and getting a C1100. None of the dealers in my area though have them in stock for an in-store demo. I had read about the World of Mac townhouse in Manhattan and thought they might have one I could listen to. I emailed them through their website and soon after Josh, one of their event planners, responded and said he had one set up in one of their rooms and would be happy for me come by to have a listen. Luckily, I had to travel to NYC for work so I emailed Josh and we set up a time for me to come over this past Monday.

I currently have tube mono locks in my system. Josh set the C1100 up in a room with tube amps (Audio Research 250 SE monoblocks) so it would be a better comparison. I brought a portable hard drive with my entire CD collection stored on it. We plugged it into a laptop and controlled everything using Roon. I spent the next hour or so listening to various songs in my collection. This really was a great way to listen to the system. It was all music I’m very familiar with. The C1100 sounded great. Great detail and three-dimensional soundstage, the main attributes I look for in a system.

I currently have a C2300 and love the sound. The C1100 sounded great, I wasn’t doing A-B comparisons but I think the it will be a big improvement and sound great in my system. It’s especially attractive considering the generous credit the Trade Up program provides.

After listening for a while we switched over to the ARC Ref 6 pre-amp just to get an idea of how that sounded in comparison. I have to thank Josh for switching all the cabling around on the spot to let me do this. I wouldn’t say the difference was huge but it was noticeable. The ARC was just a little better at most things. A little more detail, a little better soundstage, tighter base, etc…. If I had the cash I’d probably splurge and go with the ARC Ref 10. But I don’t, so I’m happy to trade in my C2300 and take home a new C1100. I called my dealer tonight and ordered one.

If any of you will be in NYC, I highly recommend going to the WOM townhouse and checking out the systems they have on display. First off, the place itself is just cool. I can’t imagine what that place costs. They really did a great job outfitting the venue and setting up multiple rooms as separate listening areas. It’s an afternoon well spent. I also have to thank Josh for setting this up on such short notice and moving the equipment around so I could test the pre-amp in a system that matched my own as much as possible. A huge thanks to him. He was also just a really nice guy. Anyway, that’s my 2 cents. Hope you all are enjoying your systems. Next year I hope to get the 2301’s in mine. Wish me luck.

Last edited by Badwithpeople; 09-27-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:45 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Badwithpeople.......Glad to hear the McIntosh folks were so accommodating in SOHO. Thanks for sharing the experience.

Don't be such a stranger. Five posts in five years.....come on, you can do better than that.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 09-30-2018, 02:08 PM

Any pics to share of your visit to WOM? It is on my list to do on next visit to NYC
Old 09-30-2018, 07:53 PM

I took a couple of photos but I can't figure out how to upload a pic from my iPhoto program (apparently I've turned into my mother). The WOM Townhouse website has quite a few photos though, and better quality than anything I could took. If you're going to NY you should definitely swing by the Townhouse.

https://worldofmcintosh.com

Edit, I figured out hwo to upload an image. This is the system I listened to. C1100 pre-amp, ARC 250 SE monoblocks and Sonus Faber speakers. Not sure which model speakers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WOM Demo.jpg (86.2 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by Badwithpeople; 10-03-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Badwithpeople.......Glad to hear the McIntosh folks were so accommodating in SOHO. Thanks for sharing the experience.

Don't be such a stranger. Five posts in five years.....come on, you can do better than that.
Yes I know, I need to post more.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:28 AM

MC2301 or 1.25kw

Last edited by McNikontosh; 10-04-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:28 PM

Both are GREAT!

Since Magnolia said no to my trade I just secured a deal to sell my 601's...might be a few months away from parting with them. But actually best for both parties as it gives me time to come up with the difference! Selling to a good friend who's been coveting them. Very cool!

So looks like I'll be just a few months away from the legendary MC2301's
Old 10-11-2018, 09:02 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timobi View Post
So looks like I'll be just a few months away from the legendary MC2301's
Tim.......

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 10-11-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Tim.......
Old 10-25-2018, 06:34 PM

Looks like I’ll be trading my C200 in on a C1100.