AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 07-23-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC352 View Post
For me the changing of the record side is not that much of a pain.
For me the vinyl thing is a process that makes me slow down, choose my music, clean the record, and listen closely.

Those who enjoy preparing to play vinyl are probably the same people who enjoy fishing. There are different personalities in the big old world and that keeps it interesting. Having the option to listen to vinyl will be good, but having digital capability to skip over the fluff that is included on most albums will keep the CD player or my server as my main source. Life's to short to waste time on cr..p.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC352 View Post
For me the changing of the record side is not that much of a pain. Yes, it's easier to use the CD, especially to jump tracks. I have always liked CD's better overall, but there are some records I listen to that just make the hair stand up on the back of my neck sometimes, and when I started back into vinyl, I never thought that would happen.

For me the vinyl thing is a process that makes me slow down, choose my music, clean the record, and listen closely.

I find that when I listen to the records, I am less open to interruptions and more focused on the music. I feel like I want to be left alone to complete the preparation and listening session from start to finish.

I have a small collection of records, maybe 300 of them. I have been buying a lot of used stuff lately, and really enjoying listening to stuff I would have never listened to in the past.

Vinyl isn't for everyone, and there are people who hate CD's. There is a guy I know who has thousands of LP's and swears he will never play a CD in his system. There are also guys with thousands of CD's that swear they will never play a LP in their system.

I like to have the choice to do both.
I agree with this too. Having grown up with LPs, I find that the ritual of playing one has a very relaxing effect on me. Listing to LPs becomes an event. And not having access to instant skipping of tracks almost forces me (I'm lazy) to listen to the entire side. I never realized until I got back into LPs how much good music I was missing on CDs because of that FF / SKIP button.

The other side of the coin is that I never dreamed how good a CD could sound until I got my new MCD500. This has literally opened up a whole new dimension of enjoyment for me.

So for now, I'm grateful that I have the choice of mediums to suite my mood and the equipment to enhance my appreciation of the music.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:58 PM

To me, vinyl has become a "special occasion" or a "ritual' I look forward to when I am in the mood for some "deep listening". Pulling a favorite LP or two or three off the shelf and sitting down to listen to them gives me a chance to really get into the music and enjoy it. Vinyl has that naturalness to it that you can't help but to relax and get pulled into the music.

Just like enjoying a fine cigar or cognac is something that is done on special occasions, you wouldn't do it all day long but really look forward to on just about daily basis. The CD/Server is something I use for background listening, more casual/passive type of a listening session while I am on the laptop or doing something in the house. Of course, there are some XRCDs, SACDs and even CDs that I also enjoy listening to and they draw me in just as well as vinyl.

I am glad I have both vinyl and CD/Server for both types of listening situations.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:07 PM

Location: Constitution State. Formerly known as the Nutmeg State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
Those who enjoy preparing to play vinyl are probably the same people who enjoy fishing. .
I just came back from a great fishing trip Sitting on the boat, catching some nice Striped Bass, chatting with my two sons, soaking up the sun, all the while thinking about what LP to put on when I get home.

I agree with you Jim, if we all had the same opinions, or did the same things for the same reasons what a boring place this earth would be.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Love Those Tunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
I think when I take the table back tomorrow I will take a couple of the LP's I have been struggling with along too. One of them I even did a partial scrub job using a micro fiber cloth to try and get what sounds like grunge out. It helped a bit but may have caused other issues. I want to see if I hear the same "distortion" on the more expensive SME table.
Ok, are we talking TT's & cartridges, or LP condition? An LP cleaning (not partial) may do wonders!
Tandberg TD20A, Harmon Kardon HK 400xM
PPP, Power Port, WW Ag Eclipse IC's & Speaker Cables, WW Ag Electra PC's
Old 07-23-2009, 03:36 PM

Borrowing a political analogy, I'm a moderate on the LP issue. Some on one side feel analog is best others digital. I like both. When the right opportunity comes along I will upgrade my TT and cart., however I do not feel that my tt sounds bad. It is another source for when the mood strikes me; it is not going to replace my music server or cd collection. All my music is lossless on my computer and at the moment having not to think about what I want to listen to is enjoyable and relaxing. I'm sitting here with a playlist that genius created in itunes that was imported into my sonos library. I like to sometimes select a genre and listen.