AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Subwoofers

Subwoofers 80hz and Down under!

Old 06-03-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
Greg
I have to disagree with you here. I think that the order is: 1) speakers 2) amp (and how it works with the speakers) 3) source 4) pre-amp. I think many people still believe Ivor Tiefenbrun of Linn in the '70's that source is King. I am not one of them.
That's ok to disagree Jim. Ivor's triad has worked flawlessly for me since 1983. It's helped me separate the junk from the jewels every time.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Jim, that is the order I would have agreed with except when I came across the Ayre KX-R preamp, now I consider the preamp to be just as important as the speaker/amp synergy. The preamp can make or break the whole system since it can bottleneck the source upstream from it and not allow the amp/speakers to reproduce what's on the recording faithfully either.
Serge
That was a toss-up for me. Bottom line, if you do not like your speakers, you will not enjoy your system.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregswaim View Post
We hear things differently. The next time you go out for a audition for some component/speakers use a mass produced source component and run it through a reference preamp,amp,& speakers and you'll should hear a difference.
On the other hand, if you run a reference source through mass produced components and it will always sound better. A lot of speakers are,in my opinion, poorly made from the get go and make noise rather than music.
I'm not sure what kind of sound that you expect to hear from a digital source- for me it needs to be very analog and natural sounding. I've found only one brand that can accomplish this for me. If it weren't for this particular brand I'd still be using vinyl playback as a main source and have only one system rather than 2.
I didn't imply one should not be able to hear a difference between a $200 CDP and $20,000 CDP. What I am saying is, once you cross a certain threshold, say $5-6k for a digital source, for the most part, the lot's of extra money buys you very marginal increase in performance. Of course that "marginal" increase in performance is still important to many building a very serious system. I assume that is understood since this is a "high end" forum.

You know the components that come through my system are not exactly "mass produced". You also know that I audition gear very often and I am talking about stuff like Chord, DCS, Meridian, Krell, Ayre, MBL.. etc... Lot's of very accomplished gear these days, you've got to pay and pay to get some marginal difference with digital. "Very natural", extended but smooth and musical is the holy grail of digital and seems most manufacturers are heading that way. Take a look and listen to products from Ayre, EMM, Playback Designs, they all have similar characteristics that display those traits. Yes, I have heard the MCD500, it is not a bad CDP by any means but don't think there is nothing better but that better will cost you.

I'm sure you don't mean that "reference components" through a pair of Bose speakers will be the "mutt's nuts" either.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:04 PM

I have Vandersteen 2ce's with the matching Vandersteen 2W subwoofer (got it for $500 used, it was $1500 new at the time ), sometimes the sub does not seem to be contributing much, but most often in my musical realms it is working to provide the foundation of sound.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I didn't imply one should not be able to hear a difference between a $200 CDP and $20,000 CDP. What I am saying is, once you cross a certain threshold, say $5-6k for a digital source, for the most part, the lot's of extra money buys you very marginal increase in performance. Of course that "marginal" increase in performance is still important to many building a very serious system. I assume that is understood since this is a "high end" forum.

You know the components that come through my system are not exactly "mass produced". You also know that I audition gear very often and I am talking about stuff like Chord, DCS, Meridian, Krell, Ayre, MBL.. etc... Lot's of very accomplished gear these days, you've got to pay and pay to get some marginal difference with digital. "Very natural", extended but smooth and musical is the holy grail of digital and seems most manufacturers are heading that way. Take a look and listen to products from Ayre, EMM, Playback Designs, they all have similar characteristics that display those traits. Yes, I have heard the MCD500, it is not a bad CDP by any means but don't think there is nothing better but that better will cost you.

I'm sure you don't mean that "reference components" through a pair of Bose speakers will be the "mutt's nuts" either.
Yes of course, sooner or later it becomes a point of diminishing returns. Is it worth it to upgrade to that next component for a additional $30k+ just to get that last ounce of detail? Only the person doing the audition can answer that question.
I've checked Arye already and it's not my cup of tea. Last time I looked at EMM it was so similar in sound to dCS that I couldn't tell the difference and the sound was not happening for me. Playback Designs is a new company and I've not yet had the opportunity to look at yet. I'll be on the look out for their stuff and give their components a listen when I have a chance.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
Dan and Serge
This is getting too technical for me, but I thought the second, third etc harmonics were always doubling of the fundamental tone or first harmonic. So even with Dan's example of the lowest piano key, the second harmonic would be a 56hz, then 112hz.
You lost me there, it doesn't change the fact that the fundamental frequencies are still at 32.7Hz on the lowest key of a standard 88 key piano or that 16.5Hz is the lowest frequency of a tuba, large pipe organ, Bosendorfer Grand Piano or 8Hz for organ or 4Hz for 64' subcontrabass clarinet...
Old 06-03-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregswaim View Post
Yes of course, sooner or later it becomes a point of diminishing returns. Is it worth it to upgrade to that next component for a additional $30k+ just to get that last ounce of detail? Only the person doing the audition can answer that question.
I've checked Arye already and it's not my cup of tea. Last time I looked at EMM it was so similar in sound to dCS that I couldn't tell the difference and the sound was not happening for me. Playback Designs is a new company and I've not yet had the opportunity to look at yet. I'll be on the look out for their stuff and give their components a listen when I have a chance.
It's good to audition different gear to get a frame of reference. In my own system the Ayre comfortably outperformed the MDA/MCD in both ends of frequency extension and having a naturally smooth sonic signature with its minimum phase filter that is similar and actually better than the Meridian 802.2 CDP while the MDA has a tendency to sugar coat everything with its smoothing filter. It's all in the listeners preference. I may step up to the new Playback Designs as a "last step" on the ladder of digital in my system, not that I think it is worth 2.5x the price of the superb Ayre CDP.

Last edited by PHC1; 06-03-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:36 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Go Serge!

MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 06-03-2009, 06:37 PM

I've auditioned so many components over the last 3 years that I'm getting burnt out. If something can catch my attention from the beginning rather than having to listen for hours on end for differences, if any, would be a plus.
Linn's Klimax DS processor did just that for me last year in November and it's the best sound that I've yet experienced to date from a source component. The price is $20k which is not a problem for me, the problem is having to store all of my music on a hard drive- I don't trust computers enough for that sort of thing. These type of processors are, in my opinion, going to be the next step for highend playback rather than disc spinners.

Last edited by gregswaim; 06-03-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Speaking of organs, the lowest note on a pipe organ is 16.4 Hz. Talk about feel it as much as hear it, it rattles your bones. The pipe for the low C note is 32 feet long.

I use to eat at a place called the Oregon Grinder Pizza, on SE 82nd, in Portland, Oregon. The entire place was constructed to house a wonderful pipe orgen. For the price of a great pizza and a pitcher of cold beer, you could enjoy a great dinner listening to this organ being played by some famous organ players. You were not listening to woofers, midrange drivers, and tweeters, you were listening to an awesome, real instrument being played live for the ear to soak up. The excitement was so much fun, and the sound was unbelievable. It was exactly what we as audiophile strive so hard to reproduce with our systems in our homes. In my opinion, there is no way the frequency range, the sound quality, the textures, and the impact of the dynamic range of an organ, like the one at the Organ Grinder, can be 100% faithfully reproduced on a sound system. Something like this has to be heard, felt, and experienced in the flesh to be fully appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg organ-grinder2.jpg (44.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg organ-grinder1.jpg (50.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg organ-grinder3.jpg (65.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg organ-grinder4.jpg (19.3 KB, 50 views)

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A