AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Audio Racks & Furniture

Audio Racks & Furniture Attractive and Functional Display for Gear

Old 02-11-2024, 10:27 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Default Core Audio Racks for PC

Tomorrow my Core Audio racks will be delivered by Core Audio founder and craftsman, Arnold Marr.

Here's some info on these superb audio racks, crafted by hand:

PlyKraft Platform
The new plyKraft platform is composed of domestic high density FSC & CARB certified Apple-Ply. The massive 2” Apple-Ply stock consists of 34 layers of hardwood laminates.

The construction of Apple-Ply lends itself beautifully to be the perfect building blocks for our new shelves. The exposed Apple-Ply edge is nearly void free and offers a refreshing design element that can be integrated into nearly any décor.

As with previous designs, the shelves are milled in the center to create two hollow chambers accessible from the underside of the platform by removing the two brushed aluminum composite Di-Bond®/ALUPANEL® panels. The chambers are preloaded with our unique blend of damping materials to create a high mass, low resonance core.

Photo of the damping chambers underneath each shelf; there are 2 chambers/shelf.

Uprights
Massive eight-quarter FAS solid hardwood stock is milled to perfection with precision CNC routers. Dado joinery and threaded metal inserts are used to couple the uprights to the platforms. The dense hardwood uprights create the perfect mechanical diode to drain unwanted vibrations from the shelves to the ground. The uprights are available in: Rift White Oak, Hard Maple, Natural Cherry, American Black Walnut, African Sapele, African Bubinga, and African Zebra. Other wood species are available upon request.

Finish
Each component is carefully prepared to maintain its natural beauty with two coats of sealer followed by three coats of clear lacquer. We use Mohawk® professional grade oil based catalyzed lacquer to provide a durable and transparent finish to bring out truly the best in wood by defining grain and depth. We use no stains, dyes or toners in our finishing process. Hand-rubbed oil finishes require occasional oiling. Our catalyzed lacquer is nearly maintenance-free. A simple micro-fiber towel or feather duster is all that’s required.

Here's a description of some key features of Core Audio Racks:

Features
  • Solid hardwood uprights composed from premium FAS certified heartwood. Eight-quarter stock selected for even grain, density, and stability.
  • 2” high-density domestic apple-ply shelves consisting of 34 layers of hardwood. FSC & CARB Certified.
  • Milled center core provides hollow chamber for damping materials.
  • Chambers preloaded with lead, clay, and silica. Materials sealed within dual 3 Mil poly bags
  • Constrained layer damping provided by butyl resin, aluminum, PVC/NBR/CR closed cell foam.
  • Di-Bond®/ALUPANEL® aluminum composite panels (brushed copper finish) used to conceal damping material.
  • Available in Rift White Oak, Hard Maple, Natural Cherry, American Black Walnut, African Sapele, African Bubinga, and African Zebra.
  • MOHAWK® Professional grade oil based catalyzed lacquer finish.
  • Minimalist design showcasing the beauty and natural harmonics of solid hardwood.
  • Open architecture allowing for maximum airflow and heat dissipation.
  • Includes adjustable 5 piece v.3 deluxe 304 stainless steel spikes & coasters.

A pic of a 3L rack:

Mine will be 2L (2-level) racks in figured maple with walnut supports, which will nicely complement the tones of my 30.2 40th Anniversay Harbeths in eucalyptus on figured maple Resonant Woods stands.

I'll be installing the two 2L racks side-by-side for my system. Another nice thing will be I won't be needing any bamboo cutting boards, Stillpoints, HRS Nimbus couplers, EVPs, Herbie's Tenderfeet, blah, blah, blah. Just place the component on the rack shelf, and you're "good to go".

Will post some pics of the system on the new Core Audio racks once it's set up...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 02-11-2024 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:10 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Whelp, my Core Audio racks arrived today, and they're even more beautiful that I thought they would be. Here's three shots at different perspectives.

These are crafted with figured maple shelves and walnut legs.

"1-point" view

Top view...

Man, these are gorgeous, the figured maple shelves are stunning.

Can't see it in these photos, but the two damping chambers underneath each shelf have Core Audio's latest blend of damping materials.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:12 PM

They are absolutely stunning. Gorgeous wood and love the two tone. Those spiker feet look serious with isolation. Congrats Stephen!
Main System: Sf Amati Tradition, B&W DB1 sub, McIntosh C2300, MC501s, MA12000, MCD500, HiFi Rose RS150B, Oppo 105, Niagara 5000, AQ Tornado/Thunder/Blizzard PCs, Robin Hood BiWire (zero+bass), Gibraltar SCs, Water ICs, Cinnamon RJ/E, Solidsteel HF-3 racks.
2nd System: Sf Cremona Auditor M, McIntosh C50, MC275(VI), MA6600, Node 2i, Oppo 95, AQ NRG-4 PCs, Robin Hood Zero SC, Cobra/Nordost Heimdall ICs.
Old 02-13-2024, 12:21 AM
Just Pure Lucky

Those are gorgeous and technologically impressive.

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 02-14-2024, 02:11 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogear View Post
They are absolutely stunning. Gorgeous wood and love the two tone. Those spiker feet look serious with isolation. Congrats Stephen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_tube View Post
Those are gorgeous and technologically impressive.

Bob
Thanks, gents. Rather than isolation, the spikes plus the dense hardwood uprights provide mechanical grounding by functioning as a "mechanical diode" (i.e., the vibration can only travel in one direction) to drain unwanted vibrations from the rack shelf surface to the floor.

Actual isolation from vibration is provided by the 34 layers of "Apple-Ply" for each shelf, and the two brushed aluminum composite Di-Bond®/ALUPANEL® panels for installing and mounting the damping chambers and the support legs are all done by CNC machining of the underside of each shelf, so these components, the damping chambers and support legs, are very precisely placed and securely mounted.

Some improvements I noted right away were improved clarity, inner detail, resolution, a more lifelike presentation with improved weight and body and more refined "texture" in instruments and voices. The system also seems quieter, with a blacker background with improved "vapor trail", as well.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 02-14-2024 at 02:30 AM.
Old 02-14-2024, 01:29 PM

I have 4 of his racks in my system - 2 older versions for my front end & 2 newer 1L for my amps. I drove up to Novato to pick mine up - Jan 2018 (hard to believe it's been 6 yrs). Arnold showed us around his shop & invited my son and I to see all his personal audio gear. What a genuinely friendly person. He also threw in a really nice custom letter opener too!
Congrats & enjoy.
Power Distribution: Shunyata Denali
Amps: McIntosh MC2301
Pre-Amp: McIntosh C1100
Tubes: Genalex Gold Lions
Digital: PS Audio DirectStream Junior: Roon Ready
Signal Cables: WireWorld XLR's
Speakers: Canton Reference K3's
Speaker cables: WW Silver Eclipse 7
Analog: Dr. Feickert Woodpecker+Kuzma 4-point+Miyajima ETR-MONO SUT & Miyajima Infinity (Mono) // Hana Umami (Stereo)
Tweaks: Shakti Stones, GIK Panels, IsoAcoustics Feet
Old 02-14-2024, 02:21 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventoux View Post
I have 4 of his racks in my system - 2 older versions for my front end & 2 newer 1L for my amps. I drove up to Novato to pick mine up - Jan 2018 (hard to believe it's been 6 yrs). Arnold showed us around his shop & invited my son and I to see all his personal audio gear. What a genuinely friendly person. He also threw in a really nice custom letter opener too!
Congrats & enjoy.
Thanks for sharing your story. Yes, Arnold is a genuinely friendly person. Great guy.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:06 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Here's a "system view" with the new Core Audio racks. One of the nice things about the racks is their figured maple shelves and walnut legs nicely match and complement the tones/colors of my Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary speakers with Silver Eucalyptus cabinets resting on figured maple Resonant Woods speaker stands.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 02-15-2024 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:07 AM

Congrats!

I have enjoyed my Core Audio racks for many years. Arnold is an absolute joy to deal with!
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 03-10-2024, 10:40 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreginNH1 View Post
Congrats!

I have enjoyed my Core Audio racks for many years. Arnold is an absolute joy to deal with!
Thanks. And, I agree.