AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Time Pieces

Time Pieces Watch Collectors

Old 03-15-2015, 06:18 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Alberto.......I am partial to the new Rolex Submariner with date.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 03-15-2015, 06:35 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Alberto.......I am partial to the new Rolex Submariner with date.
Hi Dan,

The new ones look very good too (as the photo shows) but feel bulkier and look a bit "too shiny" for my taste.

Alberto
Old 03-15-2015, 07:25 PM

Maybe this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (90.4 KB, 50 views)
Old 03-15-2015, 07:33 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Maybe this?
Yes, or this (it's a GMT II with black bezel and black leather strap.)

Old 03-15-2015, 08:10 PM

They made a ton of Rolex Subs. The garden variety like that one are not particularly collectable. It didn't come with a strap. Someone wore out the bracelet and put a cheap strap on it. Look on eBay, there are 100's for sale. The idea behind a sub was you could wear it in the water. You can't wear a leather strap watch in the water. The early ones also came with a plastic crystal which is a pain.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
Hi Dan,

The new ones look very good too (as the photo shows) but feel bulkier and look a bit "too shiny" for my taste.

Alberto
After you wear it for awhile the shine will go away!

Putting your own patina on a new watch is part of the experience!
Old 03-16-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car commander View Post
They made a ton of Rolex Subs.
Which is why I'm not really wanting to buy one. Half the people in my field own one, the Daytona is a much rarer sight and other brand allow you to show your personality.

However, a vintage one is interesting and I would go this way for the Sub For the rest, I'd buy new.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:01 PM
Chief Toneologist

Default Update

Thank you all for your ideas, opinions and suggestions.

As much as I liked that vintage Submariner, I concluded that 'car commander' had some good points:

They made a ton of Rolex Subs. The garden variety like that one are not particularly collectable. It didn't come with a strap. Someone wore out the bracelet and put a cheap strap on it. Look on eBay, there are 100's for sale. The idea behind a sub was you could wear it in the water. You can't wear a leather strap watch in the water. The early ones also came with a plastic crystal which is a pain.

$10K for a vintage--but not special--Submariner of which they made 10,000s (I assume) is not that great a deal. Especially when you have to worry about the glass and repairs/etc.

I am also not crazy about the look/feel of the new sub. With the bigger font on the dial and the bigger lugs it does not look as nice to me nor fit my wrist as well as my GMT II.

So ....

I decided to have the authorized repair center in San Francisco replace the black/red bezel with an all-black GMT bezel. The monochrome, more austere, look of the Submariner is one of the things that attracted me to it. See photo below:

I might also follow another one of the suggestions and get a leather strap which I can change when I want that look and go back to the steel band if needed.

As always, AA delivers great advice --- and with a variety of point of views and opinions.

Thanks guys. I'll share photos when I get my watch back!

Alberto

Last edited by Alberto; 03-24-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:38 PM

Good move Alberto
Old 03-24-2015, 08:46 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Alberto.......I believe you made a wise decision to upgrade your GMT and hang onto your cash. I think the all black bezel is extremely attractive and expect you will be very pleased once your Rolex is back on your wrist.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A