AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc

MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc Ultra High End Equipment

Old 01-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Mac + Ayre + Vivid + Stax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
(...)

But, since you are coming next week - you will be able to listen yourself
Looking forward to experience that Trinity magic in your outstanding listening room
ACDC - Back in Black. Adele - 19. Bryan Adams - Bare Bones. Diana Krall - Live in Paris; When I Look in Your Eyes. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. Don Williams - Borrowed Tales. FleetwoodMac - Tango in the Night. Frank Sinatra - At the Sands. Genesis - A Trick of the Tail. Gipsy Kings - Love Songs. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark. Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert. Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear. Marta Gómez - Entre Cada Palabra. Metallica - Metallica. Michael Jackson - Thriller. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed. Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder; Wish You Were Here. Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Live in Japan. U2 - Rattle and Hum.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Is there also a (SA)CD-transport?

This DAC seems like a very interesting product.

Adam, is your MSB-stack already for sale?
No, unfortunately it doesn't do DSD/SACD. There is a matching transport, but that basicly is a regular computer in an expensive case, made to match the DAC. It is 20k euro, and I do not see it as representing good value for money. I think you would be better off with CAPS v3 on batteries or an Aurender W20 (which also runs on batteries).

The DAC is exceptional though.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
The fact that all reports came from one place - HK, also didn't add more credibility.
From local forums it seems as though Ditmar, CEO of Trinity was funded in some way by his HK distributor???

I spoke to my dealer and he said whilst it was very good, in his humble opinion, Orpheus Heritage and CH Precision still had it beat. Personal tastes perhaps...
Old 01-05-2014, 09:05 AM

All I know that it bettered my MSB DAC IV Plus Diamond big time. And the Diamond, by many is regarded as 'as good or better' than the Vivaldi ...

I have no personal experience with CH, but a fellow audiophile from Poland had demoed the CH combo in his system for 2 or 3 weeks, and according to him, the CH was 'good but not great'. He eventually went with Metronome C-8, which he liked better. I did try the C-8 against the MSB, and thought the MSB killed the Metronome. Not a direct comparo, I know ... but somehow I do not think it could be a game changer. Same for the Orpheus, which is an old effort of CH team (the guys that run the CH designed the Orpheus DAC 6 years ago) so somehow it is hard to belive that their old DAC could better their new, much more sophisticated designs.

What I did notice though, is that the appeareance of Trinity, had upset many dealers and distributors of dCS, MSB, CH etc. And they DO post on the forums, not necessarely disclosing their dealer affiliation.

I'm not a dealer/distributor/manufacturer, never was, I do not know Dietmar (I have met the guy diring the show once and talked to him for like 10 min) and can honestly say that the Trinity DAC is very special. I highly encourage you to listen to one - maybe you will find it to your liking, as I did.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
All I know that it bettered my MSB DAC IV Plus Diamond big time. And the Diamond, by many is regarded as 'as good or better' than the Vivaldi ... I have no personal experience with CH, but a fellow audiophile from Poland had demoed the CH combo in his system for 2 or 3 weeks, and according to him, the CH was 'good but not great'. He eventually went with Metronome C-8, which he liked better. I did try the C-8 against the MSB, and thought the MSB killed the Metronome. Not a direct comparo, I know ... but somehow I do not think it could be a game changer. Same for the Orpheus, which is an old effort of CH team (the guys that run the CH designed the Orpheus DAC 6 years ago) so somehow it is hard to belive that their old DAC could better their new, much more sophisticated designs. What I did notice though, is that the appeareance of Trinity, had upset many dealers and distributors of dCS, MSB, CH etc. And they DO post on the forums, not necessarely disclosing their dealer affiliation. I'm not a dealer/distributor/manufacturer, never was, I do not know Dietmar (I have met the guy diring the show once and talked to him for like 10 min) and can honestly say that the Trinity DAC is very special. I highly encourage you to listen to one - maybe you will find it to your liking, as I did.
Thanks Adam for the input. Will try and demo them all.

Cheers

Howie
Old 01-06-2014, 12:20 PM

Had never heard of trinity till RMAF when i heard the phono stage. Like Jfrech, i use an allaerts finish which has been tough to match well with other excellent phono stages (aesthetix rhea sig, ARC ref 2se, tron seven ultimate and nagra vps).
The tron was the best and an excellent match till i heard the trinity with the allaerts and bought it. Very happy. It's very quiet with appropriate gain for this very low output mc, stellar dynamics, superb low-level retrieval, etc. It's a balanced design and provides no rca connections so that's both an advantage if running balanced, and a slight limitation if your gear/cables are not balanced. Fremer's mini-review was after using the trinity without a balanced connection and he was impressed. I think he plans a further in depth review when he can run fully balanced. It's the first SS phono i've had in many years as i've been a tube devotee, but really happy with this phono. The DAC seems to be stealing the show as people hear about it but for vinyl guys like me, the trinity phono is really special.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:56 PM

The Trinity DAC is also a balanced out only design, so one has to take that into consideration as well.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
All I know that it bettered my MSB DAC IV Plus Diamond big time. And the Diamond, by many is regarded as 'as good or better' than the Vivaldi ...

Adam
I think there are a many different opinions on that. I have only heard the Vivaldi in show conditions and it sounded great. My dealer will be getting them in soon and I should be able to try in in my set-up.
I compared both the Analog DAC and the Signature DAC/Diamond Power Supply combo with and without the Galaxy clock in my set-up versus my SooLoos feeding my 808v3's ID40 card via ethernet. SQ wise I heard nothing that would entice me to swap. That said the MSB offers the ability to play additional hi rez options. I am looking forward to hearing the improvements provided by switching to Meridians ID41 card and linear power supply. Chuck dropped his unit off for the upgrade the other day.

The only opportunity for me to hear the Trinity unit was at RMAF and the room it was in was a mismash of products I was unfamiliar with so I could make no valid observations.

I wish the finished product offered better industrial design,
Old 01-11-2014, 04:48 PM

Howie,

There is a great thread on audioexotics.hk forum on the Trinity (some is in Chineese, but mostly in English) where many people compare the Trinity to CH and dCS products.

Is a worthwile reading IMO.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Howie,

There is a great thread on audioexotics.hk forum on the Trinity (some is in Chineese, but mostly in English) where many people compare the Trinity to CH and dCS products.

Is a worthwile reading IMO.
Hmmmm.