AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-27-2019, 04:12 PM

Default My first world problem and other thoughts..

Get your SX-1250 rebuilt, sell for $1500 and use those funds to help with your Mc purchase. PM if you need a repair person recommendation.

I agree with the comment that Mc integrated amps are a great value. A fine way to dip your toe into Mc gear.

Kevin
Old 05-30-2019, 07:54 AM

I'm hoping to get a listen to a pair of MC75's and a tube preamp soon. A local shop has them gently used. Ive never heard any tube stuff as of yet but am looking forward to what everyone raves about.

TBH tho, I cant but help thinking that the 452/52 would be my holy grail combo.

Everything I read about the 452 says its head and shoulders above all else.

Maybe I can grab a 452 and run it thru the sx1250's preamp......until I can scape together enuff for a mc pre....
Old 05-30-2019, 06:23 PM

Some years ago I tried a power amp and then used the preamp section of a receiver. That just didn’t cut the mustard in my opinion. Separates work better together in my estimation. Especially of the same brand.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:10 PM

I agree as well that integrateds are a good starting point especially if are budget conscious. It will save you money not only combining amp/preamp but on interconnects (and worrying about synergy etc.). Integrateds have gotten increased focused lately, taking separates and put them into one box for less money. McIntosh, Accuphase, Luxman, Gryphon, and many others have some awesome integrateds.

For example the Luxman 509X has the same performance as the M-700u amp + L-700u preamp for almost half the cost. McIntosh integrateds are awesome and have ample power. Accuphase I have to say have some amazing integrates as well if you are willing to go outside of McIntosh. Preowned mid-tier could be manageable or just talk Ivan into a good deal.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:18 PM

You might be surprised as to how good some older more inexpensive McIntosh preamps sound. I have a C15 and it goes very well with my MC275 vi and you can pick up a mint C15 for around $1,200. A C41 can be found for not much more. Both have a loudness button which is nice. This gives you the option to have a matching system with a lower investment. Also, once you’re in, upgrading is easier because now you have something to trade up with. BTW, the synergy between Klipsch and an MC275 is supposed to be amazing.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:27 PM

Thx Ziggy et al...

Been thinking about integrateds also. The Luxman seems to offer a good product if I go away from MC.

So many options so little dinero
Old 05-31-2019, 12:43 AM
Keeping it real since '75

For what its worth, have your kids worry about college for themselves. I made it through college and grad school without any college fund or assistance from family whatsoever. I had jobs, got scholarships, etc. And I probably now have as much McIntosh stuff on here next to Masterlu himself..

Life is short. While you dont want to put your family through abuse, you also dont want to neglect your own personal happiness needlessly. There is also a difference between what something costs vs. the price. For example, lets say you bought a Bugatti Veyron for $800K, owned it for a year, put a few thousand miles on it, and sold it for $805K. The price of the car would be high ($800K) but the cost would be low (essentially 0). Macintosh gear can work out the same way (if you do it right). Buy the stuff you know (within reason) people want that they dont have. Those people are always looking to move up to what you have. You will get more enjoyment from it and will have lower depreciation than entry level gear. Its a sound investment!!!
Old 05-31-2019, 07:03 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM3CPO View Post
For what its worth, have your kids worry about college for themselves. I made it through college and grad school without any college fund or assistance from family whatsoever. I had jobs, got scholarships, etc.
Could not agree more. Or, you are likely to end up with a basement full of adult-children. Have a couple of friends with 30-somethings in their basement. Don't understand.

Suggest an MA230 to start off. Will do everything your Khorns need and will likely continue to appreciate. Another choice would be an MA6800/6850. Gives you a tube or SS option. There is also the MA6200. Two noted used McIntosh resellers are Audio Classics in Binghamton area and Tom Manley in Knoxville.
New McIntosh (starting with the MC352) and older McIntosh definitely have a different sound. Think you will find the sound of your Khorns to be considerably 'brighter' with new compared to old. Old will sound more similar to your SX-1250 as they are all cap-coupled. New will sound 'modern' and 'accurate'. Maybe too much so. Also, there are some excellent cross-over & driver upgrades available for vintage Klipsch, if you are not aware of them.
If going new-used, the MA6600 has likely depreciated all it is going to. In the $4K ball-park and can always install the tuner module to make it a modern receiver. I've owned everything above that I've recommended and think they are all great pieces. But vintage and new McIntosh are different and you should try to listen to anything new with some horn-loaded Klipsch before making the leap. You may find it to be too different. I did.

Here's a good historical perspective on McIntosh by a long-time employee: http://www.roger-russell.com/aboutmc.htm
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 05-31-2019 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Add link to McIntosh history.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:08 AM

You guys are the best...Thanks

Great to have your knowledge about old vs new....had no idea they sounded different.

and getting the kids thru college w/o any debt is just a personal goal of mine.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:05 PM
Blown & Injected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45shooter View Post
You guys are the best...Thanks

Great to have your knowledge about old vs new....had no idea they sounded different.

and getting the kids thru college w/o any debt is just a personal goal of mine.
I personally do not subscribe to the differences in sound between old and new. I've owned 500+ Mc pieces and currently have a dozen or so. McIntosh is and always has been (at least to my ears) the sound of neutral - as in no coloration whatsoever. Folks say Mc has a house sound - I've disproved that to myself on multiple occasion.

What you will find is a reduced noise floor as you move from older to newer gear. In addition, some of the older amplifiers won't match up with as wide a variety of speakers as will newer designs. There are many reasons for this. These two things can definitely make one amplifier less suited for an application than another.

Have fun in your quest but let your own ears ultimately be the judge.