AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 09-15-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
Thanks for all the feedback!

Just ordered the Clears.

I looked at the ZMF Auteur Blackwood, but I felt the Clear's higher sensitivity would be a better match for my Chord Mojo.
Congrats on the Clears. Solid choice!

Yes the 300 ohm impedance of the ZMF Auteurs is much better suited to dedicated headphone amps and tubes especially.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:10 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVass13 View Post
Focal is offering a discount on the Elear, Clear, and Utopia models through many authorized dealers. Prices are: Elear $700, Clear $1100 and Utopia for $3000.
Congrats. Trying to decide between the Audeze LDC2 and Elear. Have really enjoyed my Focal speakers so want to give their cans a try.
Do you have any dealers you can share? The best I've found on the Clear is $1300 and no discounts on the Elear.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 09-15-2018, 09:15 PM

congrats nice cans!

PS they look very comfy too
Old 09-16-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Congrats. Trying to decide between the Audeze LDC2 and Elear. Have really enjoyed my Focal speakers so want to give their cans a try.
Do you have any dealers you can share? The best I've found on the Clear is $1300 and no discounts on the Elear.
There are a number of sites that will give you the discount if you "trade in" a pair of headphones: Upscale Audio (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJf4-UbGCpg), Woo Audio, Moon Audio, etc.

If you'd rather not deal with a trade in then you can get these prices from headphone.com

Headphone rig: Gustard X16, Topping A90, Hifiman HE6se, Audeze LCD2
2-Channel setup: Okto Research DAC8 Stereo, Bryston 4Bł, Philharmonic Audio BMR Towers, Dual PSA S152 subs
Old 09-16-2018, 01:58 PM
Retired

Thanks. (though I won't 'deal' with Kevin Deal at Upscale).

Purchased a pair of Audeze LCD-3 earlier, so also purchased a pair of Clear from headphone.com. Will see which I prefer.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 09-16-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:06 AM
Retired

After about 18hr of break-in I can definitely say that my ears prefer the sound of the Clear to the sound of the LCD-3. This is running both from my Bryston B100-SST and from the Woo WA6 headhone amp. The Clear has that 'quick' & 'clear' sound that is my preference compared to the more 'romantic' sound of the LCD-3. Both are amazing in offering wonderful detail and extension at both ends, but the Clear is the sound I prefer. The HD-650 is more similar to the Clear than it is to the LCD-3. Obviously, YMMV.

Oops........ forgot to add a couple of details. The Clear is supremely comfortable on my head (maybe not yours). Considerably better than the LCD-3 (which did become 'heavy' after an hour+ of listening) and a bit better than the HD-650, which is also excellent for long-term wear.
On the downside, the Clear standard cable is too stiff and tends to kink. I spend too much time walking around and having to 'unkink' the cable. An unnecessary pita.

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 09-21-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:56 PM

Glenn,

Great feedback on the Clear, thanks!

BTW, I upgrading from HD-600.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:00 PM
Retired

Joe - feel sure you will be pleased.

Update - after almost a week of listening, think my Clear are 'broken-in'. And they are truly excellent. Not only are they comfortable for long-term listening, but they provide the best sound of any pair of headphones I've had on my head. Have always been a fan of Focal speakers and, now, their headphones, as well.

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 09-27-2018 at 12:17 PM.