AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 07-06-2018, 08:24 PM

Default MCD301 Question

I have been running my MCD301 through the balanced fixed outputs. Tonight, I changed the outputs on the SACD player to balanced variable out. To me, it sounds a little clearer. I plan on running it this way for a couple of weeks to get used to the sound, then go back to fixed out and see if I feel there is a difference. Now the question: should I run the variable out at 100%? If I do, will I get distortion? Right now it's at 95% and sounds fine. Whaddya think?
Old 07-06-2018, 09:28 PM
Alien Member

I was right there with you until you asked if you should run the variable out at 100%. Running the variable out to your C2500 means you're running 2 preamps in sequence; the one in the 301 and then of course into the C2500. I'm not sure why it would sound clearer to you but I've never heard of anyone using the variable out on a CDP into a separate preamp. Then again, if your preamp does not have the option of volume matching between sources (I believe the C2500 does), then using the variable out will allow matching.

The variable out on a CDP is generally used when running the player straight to a power amp, thereby using the preamp in the player, which saves having to buy a separate preamp. Some folks prefer the sound of that setup, and some prefer a separate full featured preamp while using the fixed out from the player.
If you end up preferring the sound running both pre's then, well, whatever works for you.

Lossless > D100 / Yami YP 450 tt > MA7000 > KEF RDM3 / SVS SB2000 / Too much music, not enough time.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:23 PM

I thought the same as you but the music seems to have a little bit more body to it. This is going into my MA6600 integrated in a second system. I am, using the balanced cables because I paid 700 for them and didn't want to have to buy another pair of RCA interconnects.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:59 AM
Alien Member

Well I'm not sure the MA6600 has volume-matching, but I doubt it.

The extra body you hear may simply be a result of the two combined preamp-volumes affecting the frequency curve of the signal. A slight adjustment of the bass control might have a similar result. Either way, if you prefer the sound using the variable out, then this hobby is all about satisfying our individual tastes. I mean, who knows - maybe you're onto something that few others have tried. I would however suggest you run the 301 and 6600 at a level that allows both volume controls to average between 1 third to 1 half of max volume, or whatever balance is similar to your other sources.

By all means use your XLR cables; you paid a pretty coin for them.

Lossless > D100 / Yami YP 450 tt > MA7000 > KEF RDM3 / SVS SB2000 / Too much music, not enough time.