AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 07-15-2018, 05:47 AM

Congratulations on your new amps and preamp. I have the BHK preamp and just received a few pair of NOS tubes. I will let you know what I hear.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:11 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback!

I’ve been following Paul’s blogs and videos for a while and had the great pleasure to meet him at Axpona. A brilliant engineer and a down-to-earth great guy.

I can’t wait to get my new gear!
Old 07-15-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejr1953 View Post
I recently upgraded my P10 to a P15 and immediately noticed better bass, improved detail from my DirectStream and Brooklyn DACs and more musicality.

I too enjoy a McIntosh preamp and power amp, but they have such synergy with my Focal speakers, no thoughts on changing those. But if I did, those PS Audio BHK units would be at the top of my list.
Do you have a JL CR-1 crossover? I’m very pleased with mine.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsystems View Post
Do you have a JL CR-1 crossover? I’m very pleased with mine.
No I don't have a crossover. I bought a miniDSP calibration microphone and Room EQ Wizard (REW) software, and got the Focals & JL Audios working well together.

My room had this obnoxious quality of adding a single bass note, regardless of what was in the musical source, had to place 10 bass traps in my "man cave", eventually getting that under control.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling
Old 08-06-2018, 11:42 PM

The BHK Pre, BHK 300 amps, and P15 PowerPlant are up and running with about 100 hours break-in. The system sounds FANTASTIC! I am extremely pleased.

More updates to come...
Old 08-18-2018, 09:06 AM
Retired

JR - great. Looking forward to a couple of pic's. Am amp & DAC shopping as need something smaller/lighter and their Stellar S300 & DirectStream DAC are on the radar.

p.s. - you'll need to update your avatar.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 08-18-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
JR - great. Looking forward to a couple of pic's. Am amp & DAC shopping as need something smaller/lighter and their Stellar S300 & DirectStream DAC are on the radar.

p.s. - you'll need to update your avatar.

I would recommend the DirectStream DAC if you're in the market for a new DAC and can afford it. I 'upgraded' to this from the Schiit Yggdrasil. While I didn't have both DACs at the same time and couldn't do a direct A-B comparison, the fact that Schiit charges several hundred dollars to upgrade to the newest version when they come out with updates whereas PS Audio posts upgrades online to download for free was reason enough to upgrade. I also managed to find a very good deal on one.

Also, Ivan just posted yesterday about a PS Audio moving sale. Sounds like a good opportunity to get a good deal on any of their products.

Headphone rig: Gustard X16, Topping A90, Hifiman HE6se, Audeze LCD2
2-Channel setup: Okto Research DAC8 Stereo, Bryston 4Bł, Philharmonic Audio BMR Towers, Dual PSA S152 subs
Old 08-18-2018, 10:03 PM

I am simply blown away by this system. It is a completely different level than my McIntosh system. The descriptive word that comes to mind is “holographic”. There is palpable depth to the sound stage. I just cannot get enough of it.

I also began noticing something was fundamentally different to the sound, a difference not typical of just switching amps. There’s a new stability to the sound and a palpable vanishing of a background presence that I didnt realize was there until it was gone. It’s what the magazines sometimes describe as the “blacker backgrounds” associated with the very best power treatment devices. I realized then that the P15 works far better than I expected! Absolutely terrific.

The other piece of the puzzle was the recent replacement of a single JL f113 v1 sub with a pair of f112 v2s and the fabulous CR-1crossover. The integration with the Raidhos is just about perfect and the bass is now outstanding. As JV says in TAS, the system is now “of a piece”.

I’m putting the finishing touches on a custom built solid oak cabinet. I’ll put pictures up as soon as it’s done.

Big shout out to the team at PS Audio, their service and support is simply outstanding.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:50 AM

Look forward to the pics. Enjoy.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:19 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsystems View Post
I am simply blown away by this system.

I also began noticing something was fundamentally different to the sound, a difference not typical of just switching amps.
Are the BHKs switching amps of any sort? Don't believe so. Think they are traditional Class A/B analog amps with a tube input stage and MOSFET output stage.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag