AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > VPI Industries

VPI Industries Turntables Made in USA

Old 12-07-2018, 12:48 PM

Default Cartridge help with VPI Table...

Hello, Interested in getting involved with the vinyl world. I have almost zero knowledge on the subject. I like the looks of VPI. The Prime Scout would be at the top of the budget for something new. Used table might be an option as well.
I have a Audio Research LS-28 Pre and Audio Research PH-3 Phono Pre. My knowledge on Cartridges is less than that of Tables. I see people like Soundsmith and Ortofon and a few others, etc. Plus there are Low , Medium and high.

Any ideas on what would be great with my system.

Thanks so much in advance,

~Pete
Old 12-07-2018, 02:51 PM
Retired

Hi Pete - your choice of the VPI Prime Scout is a good one. Many positive reviews and happy owners. The thought of a good used TT/TA is also a good one. Keep an eye on the classifieds here. There was a VPI ScoutMaster available not long ago.

The PH-3 is an 'oldie, but a goodie' preamp. Uses my favorite small-signal tube (6922). With 54db of gain, you are limited to ~0.25mV output cartridges. But, that includes almost all MM cartridges and many excellent MC cartridges. A couple of very nice (says the guy who has both) MM cartridges that play well on my VPI rig are the Ortofon 2M Black and the AT150MLX. They both have lots of output (~4.0mV) have MSRP of ~$700 & $375. If you want to go with an MC cartridge, in a similar price range are the AT33EV, Hana ML & SL and lots of others. Just insure the output of any MC is 0.25mV or higher.
For my money, doubling the $$ spent on a cartridge makes a significance in performance with MC cartridges, where there are many more choices. Once you set a budget for your cartridge, it would be easier to recommend something, as the sky is the limit in cost.

One thing you haven't mentioned is a good LP cleaning system. Cleanliness is next to godliness with vinyl. They range in price for ~$100 for a good manual Spin Clean system to $4K+ for a TOTL Audio Desk ultra-sonic cleaner.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-07-2018, 03:36 PM

Pete, Glenn touched on all good points. One thing to keep in mind, VPI uni-pivot tonearms can be somewhat daunting to a new 'vinylphile' (cartridge mounting and set up). So if you go that route don't be afraid to ask for help.

As Glenn said, give us some budgetary guidelines and we'll help spend your money !
Old 12-07-2018, 07:46 PM

You can’t go wrong w an Ortofon. Great sound and price points.
But if you can spare the cash, check out the Sounsmith Zephyr. I went from an Ortofon blue to this and the upgrade was significant. This review does a nice job vs anything I could articulate.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content...you-can-afford
Old 12-11-2018, 01:34 PM

Can't go wrong with the modestly priced Grado Gold or Denon DL-103R carts.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:22 PM

this could be interesting too...

Features:
• M Series Nude Microline stylus, Higher Specification Part.
• Delrin© cartridge body, Advanced Materials.
• Threaded fittings and Brass Cap, Superior Mechanical Interface.
• Integral machined brass cap.
• High Purity copper wire, Higher Specification Part.
• Alnico based magnetic electro-motive circuit (cartridge signal generator).
• Cryogenic Processing, Unique Technical Treatment.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:09 PM

The Scout is an excellent place to start!

One of the things I discovered as I was looking for a cartridge is that there is a synergy between the compliance of the cartridge and the weight of the tonearm and cartridge.

Here is a link to an article that explains this phenomenon. https://www.ortofon.com/support/supp...ance-frequency

I got lucky and found a cartridge that works perfectly with the tonearm I had selected. I say selected in that most turntables permit you to select or change the tonearm. The tonearm is an important consideration, as much so as the cartridge.

If you click the link in my sig you can see a review of the cartridge I got. I have it mounted in an SME 309 tonearm. I bought the tonearm and a platter and bearing and took a slab of 6061-T6 to a machinist and had him carve it to mount the arm and platter bearing and notch out a hole for the motor.

The platter and bearing and concept of the turntable are styled after a VPI TNT.

As far as selecting a cartridge. I listened to as many as I could, read reviews, talked to people I knew, bought a few to listen to and compared to the reviews and comments I had heard. You might find a dealer in your area that can help you.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:58 PM

Hana or Soundsmith are good choices and have a variety of price points to suit your budget. Try and demo if you can. If you have never set up a new cart, consider having it installed by a dealer.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:53 PM

An Ortofon Cadenza Red MC has an output of 0.45mV (one can be had for $900). I have tried many cartridge brands and keep coming back to Ortofon
Old 06-04-2019, 09:06 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
An Ortofon Cadenza Red MC has an output of 0.45mV (one can be had for $900). I have tried many cartridge brands and keep coming back to Ortofon
Me, too. Have a Cadenza Black in-bound to join my Kontrapunkt-b, which I've owned since new and am about half-way thru a 2nd stylus on same. Looking forward to getting the Cdnz Blk into the system. Unfortunately, it arrives while I'm traveling, so that won't be for some weeks.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag