AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Subwoofers

Subwoofers 80hz and Down under!

Old 08-09-2011, 03:08 PM

As I posted yesterday in the "What Are Auditioning Today" thread in the General Audio Discussions Forum the REL G1 sub was delivered and set up by a local dealer for me to audition. I spent a great deal of time yesterday afternoon and this morning to a multitude of tracks seeking out a few with some low level content.

As noted in the other thread I waited until this afternoon to re-run Room Perfect to account for the sub in the system. Yesterday we just adjusted the sub so that it sounded good in both the Focus 1 and Bypass states on the MEN-220. The phase was set a 180, and the crossover adjusted to 27Hz.

Just a couple of additional comments.
I have owned 3 subs that I have tried in my 2-channel system and I was not happy with the results with any of them. Those included a Def Tech 15", a JL Audio F-112 and a Martin Logan Decent i. I always felt like I was hearing the subs and was in a HT set-up. Since those subs were in my system I have added quite a few room treatments so any comparison between those units and the G1 are really not valid.

Those individuals who have heard my system since I installed the MEN-220 all agree that there is very little difference between the Focus 1 and the ByPass positions. If you read my MEN-220 posts I was always above 98% Room Knowledge using about 15% computer you will see that I was. I just ran RoomPerfect with the REL G1 in the loop and I am at 99% RoomKnowledge with the processing jumping all the way to 47%. Currently the unit must be doing a lot of work in the bass area. I can now readily hear differences when the ByPass position is selected. (There was even a greater difference yesterday and this morning before I ran the RP process)

I will continue to update this thread as I get to spend some more time with the unit.

Jim
Old 08-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
As I posted yesterday in the "What Are Auditioning Today" thread in the General Audio Discussions Forum the REL G1 sub was delivered and set up by a local dealer for me to audition. I spent a great deal of time yesterday afternoon and this morning to a multitude of tracks seeking out a few with some low level content.

As noted in the other thread I waited until this afternoon to re-run Room Perfect to account for the sub in the system. Yesterday we just adjusted the sub so that it sounded good in both the Focus 1 and Bypass states on the MEN-220. The phase was set a 180, and the crossover adjusted to 27Hz.

Just a couple of additional comments.
I have owned 3 subs that I have tried in my 2-channel system and I was not happy with the results with any of them. Those included a Def Tech 15", a JL Audio F-112 and a Martin Logan Decent i. I always felt like I was hearing the subs and was in a HT set-up. Since those subs were in my system I have added quite a few room treatments so any comparison between those units and the G1 are really not valid.

Those individuals who have heard my system since I installed the MEN-220 all agree that there is very little difference between the Focus 1 and the ByPass positions. If you read my MEN-220 posts I was always above 98% Room Knowledge using about 15% computer you will see that I was. I just ran RoomPerfect with the REL G1 in the loop and I am at 99% RoomKnowledge with the processing jumping all the way to 47%. Currently the unit must be doing a lot of work in the bass area. I can now readily hear differences when the ByPass position is selected. (There was even a greater difference yesterday and this morning before I ran the RP process)

I will continue to update this thread as I get to spend some more time with the unit.

Jim
Jim, just curious, where is the sub level set?
Old 08-09-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Jim, just curious, where is the sub level set?
Bill
Thanks to the nice remote and visual display it is easy to answer. It is set at 11.

Jim
Old 08-09-2011, 03:25 PM

I am not sure if all of you are aware that one of the nice features of the REL G1 is that the unit has a display that can be called up and viewed from your seating position. You can view and adjust Phase, volume and the crossover points using the supplied remote right from your seating position. Very nice.
Pic to follow.
Jim
Old 08-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Bill
Thanks to the nice remote and visual display it is easy to answer. It is set at 11.

Jim
Jim,

Using the speakon high level connection?

Bill
Old 08-09-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Jim,

Using the speakon high level connection?

Bill
Yes, the Neutrik connection. Had to find a screw on the 1.2ks for the common ground. I guess you cannot connect it to the - on McItnosh amps.

Jim
Old 08-09-2011, 04:06 PM

I just sold a REL B1 (used previously with my SF Cremonas) cause I had a hard time integrating it as well...I could always pinpoint the sound even though I felt like I had it dialed in as good as possible.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhesiv View Post
I just sold a REL B1 (used previously with my SF Cremonas) cause I had a hard time integrating it as well...I could always pinpoint the sound even though I felt like I had it dialed in as good as possible.
Curious where was the crossover set? Gain?

B1 and G1 are very different in how they set up
Old 08-18-2011, 12:16 AM
That's a Deusy !

So Jim are you keeping it????
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003
Old 08-18-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglax View Post
So Jim are you keeping it????
Doug
I told larry I would let him know no later than today. Still not sure which way to go. I have about an hour or two to decide.

Jim