AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 11-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1156 View Post
So well thought through. Honestly, if the sound is good, why change? I always did think the mirage sound was enjoyable..... I had def techs when they were just starting in business and my comparison was to mirage... very smooth.
When I bought mine, I'd just heard Infinity Renaissance speakers. I wasn't sure how to relate to what I heard. It was very transparent and open I guess (probably the ribbon tweeter and midrange), and I'd never heard that before. The Mirages, on the other hand, were much like the proverbial old friend or comfortable shirt; it was as if we'd known each other for some time. I knew they were the ones.

I was thinking of Def Techs as a replacement but I still think their top bipolar might be overkill in my room, which isn't that big at 14 x 18.5 ft. The 7000sc goes down to 11Hz! And on the 19th when my company was here, 30Hz was plenty. Still, if I get around to inspecting drivers and see something, everything changes. I've been too busy to do that.

I am planning to change the speaker cables out after my wallet recovers from the Christmas vacation I just paid for. Probably Kimber 12TC, as my other consideration (Transparent MusicWave Plus) is more than twice the money.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 11-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Semi-audiophile

I still haven't checked the Mirage drivers, but I did just order the 12TC: two 4-foot pair, in fact.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 12-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Semi-audiophile

The 12TC arrived yesterday, and I connected it. It played only an hour or so with the local public radio station, but it seemed that the top end was more open than the 8TC. I assume the lower frequencies will fill in as time goes on.

I don't expect radical changes to the sound, but there should be noticeable ones; it seems that will be the case.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Semi-audiophile

Here's a photo of the 12TC on the right speaker. I still prefer the color jacket on the 8TC, but at least the 12TC does sound better and its size is more of a visual balance with the amps and speakers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0122.jpg (93.9 KB, 62 views)
Old 12-07-2013, 01:03 PM

Looks good! The 12TC is a very good performer and is a good value speaker wire.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:24 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
Looks good! The 12TC is a very good performer and is a good value speaker wire.
Thanks. The 12TC's about my limit, price-wise, with all the other expenses recently. But I like the sound. McIntosh, Mirage and Kimber! Well, plus whatever source is active, too.

Last edited by prepress; 12-07-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:01 PM

Looking forward to some longer term impressions. I'm not sure how much I like the Teflon dielectric. Pretty bright IMHO. The monocle uses a mix of the Teflon and whatever dielectric is on the line below the TC. Maybe more balanced. If I do more kimber I'll probably be cheap and buy the 12VS or whatever it is. I LOVE the Kimber Selects!!! Right now I'm playing around with DIY solid core, but have been running 4TC biwire since 2005.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Semi-audiophile

So far, after about 4 hours total, I have noticed a detail here and there I don't remember hearing before. I am playing familiar material. And though I bought the 12TC more for improving the cable layout (shorter runs wherever possible), it's nice if I get better sound in the process.

I'm listening normally, that is, in between background and critical. I'm listening to the songs, the performances, the music. If I notice things listening normally, that's significant to me. But so far, again, the 12TC is a bit more open than 8TC. The noticing of a detail here and there is new.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:21 PM
Semi-audiophile

The Kimber 12TC has been around a while now, and I like what I hear. I get a nice clean sound with good detail and a bit more weight than the 8TC. The music seems to have a bit more "room" to maneuver, a bigger space to exist in. While not earth-shaking, the improvement is sufficient for me to not go back to 8TC, good as it is. The recently-installed NOS Amperex tubes in the C2300's line stage have fed into this sound as well. I played one DVD which seemed a bit bright; that was odd. Everything else I've played sounds just right. And, I would dare say 12TC is a bit more refined vs. 8TC in my setup.

Something both interesting and potentially dangerous: I've discovered NYC now has a Legacy Audio dealer. Not sure I should do anything with that, but the option is now available.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
The Kimber 12TC has been around a while now, and I like what I hear. I get a nice clean sound with good detail and a bit more weight than the 8TC. The music seems to have a bit more "room" to maneuver, a bigger space to exist in. While not earth-shaking, the improvement is sufficient for me to not go back to 8TC, good as it is. The recently-installed NOS Amperex tubes in the C2300's line stage have fed into this sound as well. I played one DVD which seemed a bit bright; that was odd. Everything else I've played sounds just right. And, I would dare say 12TC is a bit more refined vs. 8TC in my setup. Something both interesting and potentially dangerous: I've discovered NYC now has a Legacy Audio dealer. Not sure I should do anything with that, but the option is now available.
+1 on the Kimber 12TCs. I have a pair and they sound very good at a great price point.