AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Cary Audio Design

Cary Audio Design Superior Quality and Value

Old 04-18-2018, 01:48 AM

If my 98 had issues, I'd definitely get it fixed because I really don't have anything else I'd want to replace it with. Once I came up with a good tube combo, never wanted another pre. Still keeping figures crossed for ya. Sounds like they really went through it well this time.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:23 AM

What was that tube combo decooney?? Was it sylvania/rca? I don't recall.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm View Post
What was that tube combo decooney?? Was it sylvania/rca? I don't recall.
I settled on 1950-1951 Sylvania 6SN7GTs, however reading back through my notes I remember Marc at Cary mentioning trying a mixture of two RCAs and two Sylvanias for a bit of flavor from both.

Once my Sylvania NOS stetted in on my big V12R amp, it smoothed out even more so I never went back and tried intermixing RCAs in. May try it again in the future for fun.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:27 PM

I have heard nothing but good things about the Sylvania 6sn7s......
Old 04-29-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:

This go around:
I believe Cary replaced a bridge rectifier as well as the transformer - along with I believe some diodes.... I have been told it is running quiet now - both the unit as well as the power supply.... They discounted the cost by 380 dollars (4 hours of the 7 hours of labor) and paid for shipping back to me considering my troubles.... but still overall cost was fairly steep at 451.... Which I will deal with if everything is working swimmingly when it gets here - hopefully on Friday..... All mods were left in place (I asked.. )
timm,

well... did you get your fixed preamp back from Cary and how is it so far?
Old 05-06-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
timm,

well... did you get your fixed preamp back from Cary and how is it so far?
Hi decooney. Ran into a couple of hiccups in regards to the items return - so testing had been delayed a week.

So far so good. The pre is quiet as is the power supply which was humming a bit when I first sent it in.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Hi decooney. Ran into a couple of hiccups in regards to the items return - so testing had been delayed a week.

So far so good. The pre is quiet as is the power supply which was humming a bit when I first sent it in.
Awesome. Glad its working out. By chance do you know if it had anything more to do with the original or replacement tubes, or sometime else?
Old 05-08-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Awesome. Glad its working out. By chance do you know if it had anything more to do with the original or replacement tubes, or sometime else?
hmmm.... well... I did about a month's worth of testing when I got it back the first time and it still had issues....

I too thought - hey maybe a tube - because when I yanked out the phono tubes - everything was fine - put them in... and after awhile - I'd get a hum..and eventually blow a fuse.. So, I bought NEW tubes for the phono stage.... Same thing happened... So - I KNEW it wasn't a tube - told Cary this - and found it quite surprising that someone still thought it was a tube. Maybe that person just wasn't listening - or wasn't in the loop or whatever.

So I thought it was one of two things ... 1) something in the phono stage - a bad solder since the hum occurred 1 hr after warm up.... or 2) something in the power supply.... It was the latter .... They replaced the transformer and other things in the PS which fixed the issue....

I am happy they found it... I just give some advice to folks sending things in....

1) Take pictures of everything you send in the box. And take a pic of it IN the box.
2) When you check the RMA - and if things look good to you on receipt- take a screen shot of it - and save it off.

I think they have people that can diagnose problems and fix etc.... but, I get the feeling that they are getting slammed with upgrades... fixes etc.... and I think sometimes things get a little 'hairy'.... I was told they received 5 slp98s in 2 days - when mine came in..... So to be on the safe side - document your stuff...... My issue did eventually get squared away though.....
Old 12-05-2019, 07:45 PM
Retired

This is a bit old, but I went the Mundorf EVO Supreme for the coupling caps in my new Elekit TU-8500 preamp build that will be pushing my Cary Rocket 88 amp. Will take a couple of months to get enough hours on them (and the rest of the preamp) to make any sort of evaluation. Am hoping for good things.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-10-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
This is a bit old, but I went the Mundorf EVO Supreme for the coupling caps in my new Elekit TU-8500 preamp build that will be pushing my Cary Rocket 88 amp. Will take a couple of months to get enough hours on them (and the rest of the preamp) to make any sort of evaluation. Am hoping for good things.
Before I installed EVO Supreme's in my last amp, my 50-yr local tech gave me a recommendation I did not consider seriously until 90 days after installing them. I came close to ripping them out at the 1/2 way point. Glad I waited and grew more patience. His words were this, right after we installed the caps, quote: "good luck and get ready for the roller coaster ride with those Mundorfs", and be prepared to ride it for at least 2-3 months.", unquote.

Nothing further from the truth.

At 90 days of serious play time, it started to pay off.

At 180 days of intermittent play, things really changed for the better.

"be prepared for the roller coaster ride". Try not to seriously listen until you've got at least 200hrs on them, no joke. The payoff comes at the end with the Mundorf EVO Supremes. Or, that's how it worked on my adventure. Yes, it was worth it but damn I almost lost my patience a few times with them.