AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 02-24-2017, 08:23 PM

For years while my son was growing up I had a pair of Allison Acoustics model 3 corner speakers - good sound in their day, and very safe placement. When he was older and our financial situation allowed for more discretionary spending, I started the search for speakers and fell in love with the SF Concerto Domus. They sounded better than anything else in the old Magnolia HiFi showroom (the limit of my budget at the time). I also thought they were the best looking speakers, with their beautiful wood finish and graceful form, and I could just afford them. I've been a sucker for Franco Serblin's designs ever since, going from the Concertos to Cremona Auditor Ms and finally Amati Futuras. The SF sound is just right for my listening habits and room (mostly classical, jazz, folk, but occasional heavy doses of rock and blues as well), and I still think they're one of the most beautiful speakers I've seen. My wife loves their looks and sound as well, and that's a big help. We listened to a number of different speakers before making the final decision, including Wilson, B&W, Focal, Vienna Acoustics, and Linn, and ultimately both my wife and I agreed nothing came as close to perfect for us as the AFs.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 02-25-2017, 04:35 AM

I have a pair of Sonus Faber Olympica III. I purchased them after having dabbled in Sonus Faber in the past.

Past SF:
SF Concertino
SF COncerto
SF Cremona Auditor
SF Stradivari

Current SF:
SF Olympica III

I will say that the O3 is not the best SF speaker I've owned, that title goes to the Stradivari.... however, for the size, for the price, and for the flexibility of use (I cannot fit the Stradivari in the family room flanking a TV console)... it is unsurpassed.

It is not my main speaker system (that's the BW 802D3), but it is a fantastic 2nd system in my family room. I enjoy the SF O3 every day and it is a speaker that looks good, blends well with the wife's decor, and just sounds goooood.

I am lucky to be able to turn on my TV every day and hear the sounds of the Sonus Faber O3.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
I have a pair of Sonus Faber Olympica III. I purchased them after having dabbled in Sonus Faber in the past.

Past SF:
SF Concertino
SF COncerto
SF Cremona Auditor
SF Stradivari

Current SF:
SF Olympica III

I will say that the O3 is not the best SF speaker I've owned, that title goes to the Stradivari.... however, for the size, for the price, and for the flexibility of use (I cannot fit the Stradivari in the family room flanking a TV console)... it is unsurpassed.

It is not my main speaker system (that's the BW 802D3), but it is a fantastic 2nd system in my family room. I enjoy the SF O3 every day and it is a speaker that looks good, blends well with the wife's decor, and just sounds goooood.

I am lucky to be able to turn on my TV every day and hear the sounds of the Sonus Faber O3.
Hard to believe you went from Strads. to O3 ?
Old 02-25-2017, 08:31 AM

Thanks all for your responses so far. Seems like most are driving your speakers with solid state amps. My EL34 based tube amps do take the system in am even softer direction, but I love their other qualities.

It's an interesting question to consider if we would have chosen SF speakers if they weren't so beautiful. In my case WAF is not a factor. The dedicated listening room is in the basement and no one sees the speakers unless they actually sit down to listen to music. Even then, when doing serious listening the lights are low or off. And when not playing, I keep the socks on. So their physical beauty does not get noticed much here. Kind of a shame, I guess.
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 02-25-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Hard to believe you went from Strads. to O3 ?
Not so much. The Strads were in the main system. The O3 is in the secondary. Their relative functions are very different.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:36 AM

Dave,
I've enjoyed following your journey with the Sasha's and some big SS amps... and now to SF and valves! That's a huge change, and I'm glad you're enjoying your system.

My most recent speakers have been:
Vienna Acoustics Beethoven's (very balanced, but didn't play loud without distorting)
Wilson Sophia 2's (loved the detail, but found them fatiguing over time)
Sonus Faber Amati Futura's

The Futura's are a good fit for me personally, and work well with the MC 2301 tube amps and the rest of my McIntosh gear. I find that they can really rock when I want them to. They make most of my music collection a pleasure to listen to. Well maybe not Primus, but that's another story.

What I've found is the Futura's require a lot of care in setup. I've NEVER heard them properly setup in a stereo store.

I recently moved and added the Amati Homage VOX center, and the trio work really well together for home theater.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 02-25-2017, 11:28 AM

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the message and yes it has been an interesting journey! For the most part, every change has been fun. Some have been sideways, others a significant improvement. For the longest time I held off changing from Cardas Golden Reference to Transparent Reference. But I was really surprised at the difference.

I bet the AF & 2301's make for a great combination. That's one combination I'd like to audition sometime.

By the way, how do you like the Sumiko Palos Santos cartridge? That is on my short list of future cartridges.

Dave
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 02-25-2017, 02:09 PM

Dave,
I really like the Sumiko Palo Santos. Its low level detail and tonality are to die for, and it has great dynamic prowess when called upon. I've lived with this cartridge now for several years and see no need to change. It is a great cartridge to live with day in and day out.

With another cartridge you might get more detail or more slam but at the expense of tonality, or some serious 4 figure damage to your wallet!

I've found the reviews from Tone Audio, The Absolute Sound, and others to very accurately describe this cartridge.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 02-25-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
Not so much. The Strads were in the main system. The O3 is in the secondary. Their relative functions are very different.

Strads to 802D3 is like a 180 degree turn in terms of sonic signature, isn't it?
Old 02-25-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpedris View Post
Strads to 802D3 is like a 180 degree turn in terms of sonic signature, isn't it?
Both sound good. One just worked better in my room.