AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 06-10-2014, 03:23 PM

Default NuWave Phono converter

Has anyone had any experience with the PS Audio NuWave Phono converter? I am looking for some feedback on quality and ease of use. Thank you.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:05 PM

It didn't review well at Analog Planet, however John Darko of Digital Audio Review gave it his "Dar K.O." award so he must have been pretty smitten with it's performance. In general I like Darko's reviews quite a bit and align with the same opinions on a lot of stuff that he reviews, so based on just his review I would probably put it on my demo list if I was in the market for a phono stage.

I know someone who had the previous version and also really like the performance.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:49 PM

Thanks beowulf.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:20 PM

Also, Beowulf, I am traveling to SD, CA in August. Please recommend your favorite LP store. Each city I visit I like to bring home a vinyl momento. I'll be staying out in Poway area but willing to go into town.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
Also, Beowulf, I am traveling to SD, CA in August. Please recommend your favorite LP store. Each city I visit I like to bring home a vinyl momento. I'll be staying out in Poway area but willing to go into town.
Down South of Poway:

Record City is one of my favorites.

Almost right accross the street is an indie record store called Taang Records that specializes in Punk and Ska, but has a few other genres as well, so you should hit them up since it's so close.

Down the block in the North Park area ... ok maybe a few blocks is Off The Record is one of my fav's as well...

HINT: While you're in the North Park area ... I'm not sure if you know this or not but San Diego is THE Microbrew Capitol of the World and there are so many great pubs and breweries that it would be impossible to sample them all, but there are tons just in the North Park area (where Off The Record is located), so you should stop off and have a couple cold ones! ... Hint - The Belching Beaver Peanut Butter Milk Stout is to die for!!!

Finally, if you're in the mood to browse hi-fi audio gear and records at the same time while down south there is Stereo Unlimited which has a small (but good selection) of vinyl and also hi-if gear such as Vandersteen, Rogue, Electrocompanient and Esoteric stuff to name a few lines that they carry (yes they are vinyl lovers) and it's a pretty fun store.

If you make it down to Stereo Unlimited - you should stop by Slater's 50/50 for a burger and a gazillion local beers on tap.

Up North of Poway:

Lou's Records is pretty cool it sort of reminds me of a small version of Amoeba Records (which is in Los Angeles and the world's largest independent record store).

Here is a list that I found and I think it is on par with the stores that I like as well.

Enjoy your stay!!!
Old 06-11-2014, 05:03 AM

Beowulf, that was a really great reply. I may use the info myself if I manage to get over this year.
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 06-11-2014, 09:22 AM

Many thanks beowulf - wow, I need to line out my time. And I will sample the brews.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:08 PM

Very welcome guys ... there's lots to do ~ so I hope you make it down here and take advantage of it!

If you have some time and want to get off the beaten path there are a couple of hidden gems that a worth some exploration:

Julian is a city that seems as if has been untouched since the late 1800's. There's a couple ways to get there, but the most scenic is a drive through Mt Laguna that has just a stunning view of the Pacific Crest Trail. You have to drive through a mountain pass Highway 79 in order to get to Julian. Julian is famous for the Apple Orchards and Apple Pies (almost every restaruant claims that their's is the best ) and they have some great B&Bs, local wines and vineyards.

Mt Laguna (view of Pacific Crest Trail):

Julian (Main Street):

Julian Falls (this is a hike and it's very hot in summer so bring lots of water if partaking):

Also for some relaxation, there is a cool little hot springs resort off old Highway 80 (a little bit past Mt Laguna off Highway 8) called Jacumba Hot Springs. I don't think there is even a stop sign in this town so if you blink you will miss it . The town is almost non-existent and the Hot Springs Resort was in ruins, but it was purchased and reopened a couple of years ago and they did a great job fixing it up. They also have a small bar with cold beer and decent food, but the hot spring mineral baths are the real treat. And since they keep the baths renewing themselves they don't need to use chlorine and your skin will come out feeling so nice. Only $25 bucks to use the baths all day.

And of course it will be summer so BEER!!!

Last edited by beowulf; 06-11-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:27 PM

On a visit a few years ago in August, no less, I did the hike up Iron Mt. - that did me in for the rest of the day.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Down South of Poway: Record City is one of my favorites. Almost right accross the street is an indie record store called Taang Records that specializes in Punk and Ska, but has a few other genres as well, so you should hit them up since it's so close. Down the block in the North Park area ... ok maybe a few blocks is Off The Record is one of my fav's as well... HINT: While you're in the North Park area ... I'm not sure if you know this or not but San Diego is THE Microbrew Capitol of the World and there are so many great pubs and breweries that it would be impossible to sample them all, but there are tons just in the North Park area (where Off The Record is located), so you should stop off and have a couple cold ones! ... Hint - The Belching Beaver Peanut Butter Milk Stout is to die for!!! Finally, if you're in the mood to browse hi-fi audio gear and records at the same time while down south there is Stereo Unlimited which has a small (but good selection) of vinyl and also hi-if gear such as Vandersteen, Rogue, Electrocompanient and Esoteric stuff to name a few lines that they carry (yes they are vinyl lovers) and it's a pretty fun store. If you make it down to Stereo Unlimited - you should stop by Slater's 50/50 for a burger and a gazillion local beers on tap. Up North of Poway: Lou's Records is pretty cool it sort of reminds me of a small version of Amoeba Records (which is in Los Angeles and the world's largest independent record store). Here is a list that I found and I think it is on par with the stores that I like as well. Enjoy your stay!!!
Nice response. I live in SD and have to remind myself of all these great spots when visitors arrive. Of course I have no problem remembering Record City. My car know the way. Would love to hear more about the NuWave Phono. This sounds like a great idea in theory. I guess the more complex competition would be Pure Vinyl with preamp and ADC or recording into something like the new Tascam DV-3000. I would love to here comparisons from those who have heard.