AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > JL Audio

JL Audio Ahead of the Curve

Old 01-29-2016, 09:12 PM

I may have missed it on the JL Site but it would certanly be nice to see a measurement comparing the speed of the various subs they offer (impulse response I think is the term, errr or maybe it's rise time).

This has been the main factor in me not being able to decide on which sub of theirs to get. About 50% of me wants to get multiple f110's and the other 50% of me is in a stale mate between the f112 or f113

The main concern with the f110 is its ability to keep up in terms of SPL output when played loudly next to my main speakers. I've seen some measurements in the past on the f110 that suggest it starts to fall apart like a cheap suit just around 100db or so.

The larger subs don't have such an issue but purchasing two of them is a bit of an issue for me at least. Looking at the cost differences between the X 3 main offerings (f110,f112,f113) I can see that the biggest expense is the purchase of the 10" model itself and then the next upgrades beyond the price of the f110 are only $900 apart from each other. Because of this, it almost seems like the f113 is the only choice for someone already commited to getting one of these subs to begin with.

Err... I see what I did there. I've exposed the twisted logic of an audiophile to convince himself the only option is the best and most expensive one

Last edited by audiomania; 01-29-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomania View Post
I may have missed it on the JL Site but it would certanly be nice to see a measurement comparing the speed of the various subs they offer (impulse response I think is the term, errr or maybe it's rise time).

This has been the main factor in me not being able to decide on which sub of theirs to get. About 50% of me wants to get multiple f110's and the other 50% of me is in a stale mate between the f112 or f113

The main concern with the f110 is its ability to keep up in terms of SPL output when played loudly next to my main speakers. I've seen some measurements in the past on the f110 that suggest it starts to fall apart like a cheap suit just around 100db or so.

The larger subs don't have such an issue but purchasing two of them is a bit of an issue for me at least. Looking at the cost differences between the X 3 main offerings (f110,f112,f113) I can see that the biggest expense is the purchase of the 10" model itself and then the next upgrades beyond the price of the f110 are only $900 apart from each other. Because of this, it almost seems like the f113 is the only choice for someone already commited to getting one of these subs to begin with.

Err... I see what I did there. I've exposed the twisted logic of an audiophile to convince himself the only option is the best and most expensive one
Old 01-30-2016, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
+1
Wilson Audio Alexia + Mezzo | Dan D'Agostino Momentum PRE & S250 | Esoteric P02x & D02x | Torus AVR2-16 | Marantz AV8805 | Panasonic UB9000 | Bryston 7B3 & 9BSST2 | ScreenTechnics 125" 2.37 Screen | JVC X7900 | Krix A20 (4) | JL Audio F113 (2)
Old 09-06-2016, 01:01 AM

So what did you end up doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
I have managed to integrate my F112 V1 very well with my YG Kipod 2’s The YG’s roll off at 65Hz. The sub’s Frequency is set to +-65/66Hz with LP filter at 12db in-line with the YG’s, which is a sealed enclosure. The integration is wonderful and the bass quality is great.

I am wondering if I will get even better bass if I upgrade to the F113 V2 or even the f212 v2. This is a single sub room, dual subs does not work in my room.

THE sub fires down the length of a 30 feet room, which is why I am getting such excellent bass, see attached photos. The current position of the sub is the sweet spot, so any other sub will have to be positioned there.

The only thing that worries me about the F212 is that it will almost be as tall as the YG’s and that reflections from the YG’s might impact Imaging.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Attachment 42854

Attachment 42855