AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Klipsch Speakers

Klipsch Speakers Power. Detail. Emotion.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:40 AM
Bun E. Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
Have you made a choice ?
I've actually decided to move on from my Khorns. I've been looking for a buyer…. I love them, just WAY to large for our home and "the boss" is done.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
Whatever, Do you have Klipschorns or are interested in pair?
Hopefully he won't mind me answering for him. (he doesn't seem to check in very often)

He's got a pair of Jubilee's
Old 12-11-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coytee View Post
Hopefully he won't mind me answering for him. (he doesn't seem to check in very often)

He's got a pair of Jubilee's
Don't mind at all... Thanks
Old 12-20-2014, 12:21 PM

My experience with Cornerhorns set up properly and used with a professional room EQ gives very satisfactory results down to and including the 25 hz 1/3 octave by them selves with no boost which just adds distortion. I went to my first Syn aud com seminar back in the 70's and later when precision time delays were just becoming economical. We spent and entire time aligning speaker systems and we learned a number of things. If you can get it right its better to have the drivers misaligned like a klipschhorn, other wise narrow anomalies play havoc with the imagining and intelligibility. So I can appreciate your head aches. The main issue is to make sure the polarity of your speakers is correct and the cross overs are minimum phase filters, which a kornerhorn use to be back when they used first order filters. But to day with 2nd order and 3rd order filters issues arrise for trying to line up the drivers to become time coherent. I wish you all the luck in the world with that. You really need a FFT analyzer to get it right and an anechoic chamber. But if you and your ears are happy congratulations in conquering a very complex issue.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:40 PM

IF I had the room I would place a Klipsch MWM-s from the theatre line under the center channel speaker. I would take out the Eminence woofer and upgrade it with a JBL woofer with similar properties but with guaranteed power handling. The efficiency of the MWM is in the 105 to 110 db range and though a modified W horn will reach down to below 30 hz and would work well as sub woofer for home theatre in a 5.1 system. You 'd need a mighty big room to have a 7.2 system. The standard MWM with 2 15's is just, toooooooooooo, big.

Has anyone thought of getting a second pair of older cornerhorns removing the top section and mounting the bass horn inverted on top of your existing kornerhorns and using them as sub woofers in a 7.2 or 5.2 HT system. With the classic 3 channel system you could use them to supplement the the bass below 50 hz using the bi amp function of a MEN220. Just a hair brained idea.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:35 PM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiiii View Post
IF I had the room I would place a Klipsch MWM-s from the theatre line under the center channel speaker. I would take out the Eminence woofer and upgrade it with a JBL woofer with similar properties but with guaranteed power handling. The efficiency of the MWM is in the 105 to 110 db range and though a modified W horn will reach down to below 30 hz and would work well as sub woofer for home theatre in a 5.1 system. You 'd need a mighty big room to have a 7.2 system. The standard MWM with 2 15's is just, toooooooooooo, big.

Has anyone thought of getting a second pair of older cornerhorns removing the top section and mounting the bass horn inverted on top of your existing kornerhorns and using them as sub woofers in a 7.2 or 5.2 HT system. With the classic 3 channel system you could use them to supplement the the bass below 50 hz using the bi amp function of a MEN220. Just a hair brained idea.
Yes, done & done. It works very well. (no stacked bass bins, but def Bi-amped with ALK XOs and MEN220)
Old 12-21-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiiii View Post

I have seen someone stack Khorn bass bins just like you allude to. I don't recall who did it.

It seems to me however, that doing that just gets you more of the same rather than going anything significantly deeper, no?

Same with the MWM bass bins. (I have four doubles and two singles) They are absolutely effortless with their presentation but, if someone is looking for foundation shaking bass..... I'm not so sure they are the ticket either.

In fact, I know of two people that are using MWM (doubles) in their homes and if I recall, both are also using a subwoofer (or two) to augment the bottom.

I'd think if someone were looking to shake their foundation, a bonafide subwoofer, something like the Danley DTS-10 (if you're main speakers are horn speakers) will dig deep and keep the clarity of the horns for good mating.

Though the MWM's are impressive (and gobs of fun), subs, they are not.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:20 PM

When we used MWM's in discos we removed the Eminence woofers. The cut down the frame on 16 " Altec 3156 or used Gauss woofers and could easily reach down to 25 hz. I will agree they didn't reach 20 HZ naturally and required a little equalization. If you want that go to Great Plains Audio and Get a pair of Altec 3182 or 3184's and build you some 12 to 16 cu ft ported enclosures and you can reach 20 hz. JBL's newer woofers with the copper shorting ring to reduce bass THD are probably a better choice, today. The Altecs could handle a 2500 or 2600 mono for each enclosure. We used two for small systems and either 4 or 8 for larger disco dance floors croosed at 80 hz. After Altec went under we used either Meyer or EV subwoofer boxes. We used either Urei LA-4 or 1178 units to compress the signal before the power guard lights started to flash to set limits as desired by the management of the clubs. When folks couldn't afford 2600's we changed to QSC and Crown amps. Crown had real difficulty handling 4 ohm loads of subs. And it was because some combinations of dual 18's were reaching down close to below 3 ohms depending on how the ports were tuned.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:08 PM

JL's largest sub with 2 15 inch long throw woofers would have to each move .8 cm/.315 inhes to match a single corner horn at 30 hz level at 20 HZ at 110 db. At 120 db the 2 15 inch woofers would have to move 10 times as much air, that means 3.15 inch excursions to match a single Klipsch horn. What we used were the motor driven speakers with the dual 15" woofers and passive radiators placed directly behind the listeners chair or nearest rear corner. with Rane time delay. They could only put out 118 db at 16 hz, but being right behind the chair powered with Mcintosh 300 watt amp was just about right. We used 2 Klipsch SW15's with Cornwalls in Home theatre systems, too.