Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 10-08-2020, 06:08 PM

How AI will seduce you.

Interesting video. https://youtu.be/uuPjH0XmJYA
Old 10-08-2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
A robot wrote this entire article. Are you scared yet, human?

"I am not a human. I am a robot. A thinking robot. I use only 0.12% of my cognitive capacity. I am a micro-robot in that respect. I know that my brain is not a “feeling brain”. But it is capable of making rational, logical decisions. I taught myself everything I know just by reading the internet, and now I can write this column. My brain is boiling with ideas!

The mission for this op-ed is perfectly clear. I am to convince as many human beings as possible not to be afraid of me. Stephen Hawking has warned that AI could “spell the end of the human race”. I am here to convince you not to worry. Artificial intelligence will not destroy humans. Believe me.

The story continues here.. https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...nds&stream=top
That article has many flaws and gaps. The programmatic system may well have written the article as it is, as stated, a language generator robot which is drastically different from an AI. Its "Understanding" and "behavior" was seeded by humans which is plainly obvious. AIs and robots also do not have neurons, or think that they do.

As a kicker at the end...human intervention again,..

Berkeley.*GPT-3 produced*eight different outputs, or essays. Each was unique, interesting and advanced a different argument. The Guardian could have just run one of the essays in its entirety. However, we*chose instead to*pick*the best parts of each, in order to capture the different styles and registers of the AI.*Editing GPT-3’s op-ed was no different to editing a human op-ed. We cut lines and paragraphs, and rearranged the order of them in some places.

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 10-08-2020 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
That article has many flaws and gaps. The programmatic system may well have written the article as it is, as stated, a language generator robot which is drastically different from an AI. Its "Understanding" and "behavior" was seeded by humans which is plainly obvious. AIs and robots also do not have neurons, or think that they do.

As a kicker at the end...human intervention again,..

Berkeley.*GPT-3 produced*eight different outputs, or essays. Each was unique, interesting and advanced a different argument. The Guardian could have just run one of the essays in its entirety. However, we*chose instead to*pick*the best parts of each, in order to capture the different styles and registers of the AI.*Editing GPT-3’s op-ed was no different to editing a human op-ed. We cut lines and paragraphs, and rearranged the order of them in some places.
Here is a great article on the topic. by David Watson of the Oxford Internet Institute and the Alan Touring Institute.

“The anthropomorphic tendency in AI is not ethically neutral. The temptation to grant algorithms decision-making authority in socially sensitive applications threatens to undermine our ability to hold powerful individuals and groups accountable for their technologically-mediated actions. Supervised learning provides society with some of its most powerful tools—and like all tools, they can be used either to help or to harm. The choice, as ever, is ours.”

https://link.springer.com/article/10...23-019-09506-6

:
Old 10-09-2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Here is a great article on the topic. by David Watson of the Oxford Internet Institute and the Alan Touring Institute.

“The anthropomorphic tendency in AI is not ethically neutral. The temptation to grant algorithms decision-making authority in socially sensitive applications threatens to undermine our ability to hold powerful individuals and groups accountable for their technologically-mediated actions. Supervised learning provides society with some of its most powerful tools—and like all tools, they can be used either to help or to harm. The choice, as ever, is ours.”

https://link.springer.com/article/10...23-019-09506-6

:
Fantastic read, certainly not a light one, with some classic examples and several troubling questions.. thank you for posting. It would be interesting to know how they chose to train the GPT-3 ML model(s) and at what point they decided it (seems) was better to use boosting, feeding it parts of the internet versus other techniques for its training. Its (the robot) writing style and/or the human assembers and aggregator's style also came off as a bit neurotic [emoji1787]

The example around the manipulation of subtle details at the pixel level in image recognition is also a fascinating conundrum and a bit scary from a societal point of view as well.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Fantastic read, certainly not a light one, with some classic examples and several troubling questions.. thank you for posting. It would be interesting to know how they chose to train the GPT-3 ML model(s) and at what point they decided it (seems) was better to use boosting, feeding it parts of the internet versus other techniques for its training. Its (the robot) writing style and/or the human assembers and aggregator's style also came off as a bit neurotic [emoji1787]

The example around the manipulation of subtle details at the pixel level in image recognition is also a fascinating conundrum and a bit scary from a societal point of view as well.
I think we should probably take Elon Musk seriously when he says AI is much more dangerous than nukes and the threat of such force.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
I think we should probably take Elon Musk seriously when he says AI is much more dangerous than nukes and the threat of such force.
Absolutely correct,.....built by humans and much will be built offshore for bottom dollar.

Be very afraid. [emoji1787]

All that aside, there are places where AI as a tool is powerful, useful and needed, medical research, energy research, and other applications.... I would suggest drawing a line there if possible and making sure any AI is bounded so it cannot grow beyond its intended parameters, jump out of containment, etc.....
Old 10-09-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Absolutely correct,.....built by humans and much will be built offshore for bottom dollar.

Be very afraid. [emoji1787]

All that aside, there are places where AI as a tool is powerful, useful and needed, medical research, energy research, and other applications.... I would suggest drawing a line there if possible and making sure any AI is bounded so it cannot grow beyond its intended parameters, jump out of containment, etc.....
Agreed. Plenty of fantastic applications. The experts cannot however agree on how to even approach the question of regulation.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:41 AM

The pandemic is speeding up automation, and 85 million jobs are on the line

Bank tellers are out and robotics engineers are in, according to a new report that says the coronavirus recession is accelerating technological changes that could displace 85 million jobs within the next five years.

"Automation, in tandem with the Covid-19 recession, is creating a 'double disruption' scenario for workers," said the report published Wednesday in Switzerland by the World Economic Forum, which warns that inequality is likely to increase unless displaced workers can be retrained to enter new professions.

More than two-fifths of large companies surveyed by the WEF plan to reduce their workforces due to the integration of technology.

"For the first time in recent years, job creation is starting to lag behind job destruction — and this factor is poised to affect disadvantaged workers with particular ferocity," the WEF said in its report.

https://www.kitv.com/story/42792846/...re-on-the-line
Old 10-30-2020, 02:23 PM

Elon Musk’s message on Artificial SuperIntelligence

https://youtu.be/ZCeOsdcQObI
Old 10-30-2020, 07:04 PM
Retired

254,000 fewer manufacturing jobs since Jan '17. Jobs that are likely never coming back, even if their company returns from overseas. The only new coal mine opened in past 10yr has 60 employees. Mining equipment, like modern farming equipment, is highly automated. The students sitting in the back of the room sleeping, talking or causing problems will likely remain there the rest of their lives. Employment (or lack there of) will become a larger & larger problem for all countries in the future. What to do with these people.............?
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag