AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 12-08-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
...she proclaimed that, 'we' are all a bunch 'wackos'.
I get that a lot here, too.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:02 PM
Cool, calm scientist

So, Serge, any comments on the Shunyata Venom power cord? How is it doing? It should be burned in by now.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:45 PM

I just finished auditioning a pair of Sigma NR's from my amps into the Denali and a Alpha NR into my Rossini. I moved my older Alpha Digital to my Clock. I am keeping the Alpha NR and will hold off on the Sigma NR's until I refill my piggy bank. The Sigma's were very good but the are a bit pricy for PC's. They could be in my future.

Last edited by Still-One; 12-13-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
So, Serge, any comments on the Shunyata Venom power cord? How is it doing? It should be burned in by now.
I've been keeping track of the break in with most significant settling already behind. It has not changed much in the past few days so the serious A/B comparison should be soon.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:52 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I've been keeping track of the break in with most significant settling already behind. It has not changed much in the past few days so the serious A/B comparison should be soon.
Cool. Looking forward to it.

Regards,
Stephen
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:50 AM

Long overdue but I got sidetracked with other things going on in my system and I felt the Shunyata Venom HC needed just a bit more time to ripen.

This evening I finally spent a few hours listening deeply, going back and forth between the Venom, the Guerrilla and Zebra and the stock power cords. It did not take long to recognize the few very strong characteristics of the Venom HC.

I decided to use the outstanding SPL Phonitor studio grade amp for the final test. I feel the Phonitor is quite neutral and rather colorless as far as tonal balance and would give a better, clearer picture in this shootout.

First, the bass is simply outstanding for a power cord in this price range. You'd be hard pressed to find a better "bass" power cord for this kind of money. Articulate, powerful and deep and it is not something you will have to struggle to hear if you are upgrading from the stock power cords. It made me want to explore all my bass prominent recordings. Addicting.

I found the overall presentation of the Venom HC as rather illuminating and enthusiastic, effortless, dynamic, vibrant, especially in the vocal and presence regions and without making my system sound too far out of balance in any particular way.

The Phonitor amp easily lets me know when a change has occurred but it walks a very thin line between just right and either too lightweight and bright or lifeless and dull in overall presentation depending on cables. I appreciate that rather neutral quality about the Phonitor amp as I can hear changes much easier that way. The Venom HC walks that middle ground along with the Phonitor with sure footedness. This middle ground is elusive and neither the Zebra Cable power cord, which actually has a tendency of leaning out the balance ever so slightly or the Guerrilla power cord, that "thickens" the sound and makes the bass sound a bit bloated and lacking articulation can match. These are not night and day differences but still noticeable.

Detail retrieval with the Venom HC is definitely a step up. I can clearly hear deeper into the recording when the recording presents such resolution and detail. That is always a plus in my book.

If I had to criticize one small area, I would say the Venom HC imparts a slight metallic tinge to the upper end frequencies. Cymbals are not exactly white noise sounding or particularly grainy but definitely a bit on the artificially splashy metallic side of neutral. I don't hear the golden shimmer on some of my recordings that I would consider to be spot on in the highs.

The mids were not a victim of any deficiencies, no artificial sibilance or dryness was heard by my ears in the all important midrange as is pretty typical of most stock cords. I would not exactly call the Venom a wet and lush kind of a cord in the midrange but it does not dry anything out here either.

Perhaps the strong point of this power cord is the bass and the drive, it has that in spades. It is a lively, let's get the party going type of a power cord, it will impart a sense of new found life and drive in the lows, perk up the mid bass and keep the party going through the mids until it reaches the highs and at that point we've been partying a bit too hard... time to go home.

I'd say at this price, this is an outstanding power cord overall. I think Shunyata did a great job on the Venom HC. It will certainly continue to see use in my system with the Asgard 2 amp which sounds a bit laid back and soft in the treble without the prodding of the Venomous serpent.

Last edited by PHC1; 01-03-2018 at 03:07 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:10 AM

Nice review Serge. It’s a great cord, isn’t it? I have the 20a version feeding a Shunyata Venom PS8 for my little system based around the Luxman SQ-N100 amp, and it’s just the right balance for this tube amp.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-03-2018, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Nice review Serge. It’s a great cord, isn’t it? I have the 20a version feeding a Shunyata Venom PS8 for my little system based around the Luxman SQ-N100 amp, and it’s just the right balance for this tube amp.
Indeed. It’s all about the right balance for your taste and preference and it is good to have a few different cables of various flavors around to tweak with. The Venom HC has found a place in my system.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:06 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Another great review, Serge! I agree they provide an amazing value for the money.

I don't have any Venom HCs. but I have a number of Venom 3s: for the Mac Mini, the Sonore's microRrendu's linear power supply from Uptone Audio, and for the home theatre setup, including for the Samsung HDTV. They bring an improvement you can see with your own eyes with the TV, for example.

For my audio components, I am using Shunyata Black Mamba and Zitron Cobra/Cobra HC, which bring even more benefits than the Venom line.

Your reviews, as always, are amazing.

Best,
Stephen
Old 01-04-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Another great review, Serge! I agree they provide an amazing value for the money.

I don't have any Venom HCs. but I have a number of Venom 3s: for the Mac Mini, the Sonore's microRrendu's linear power supply from Uptone Audio, and for the home theatre setup, including for the Samsung HDTV. They bring an improvement you can see with your own eyes with the TV, for example.

For my audio components, I am using Shunyata Black Mamba and Zitron Cobra/Cobra HC, which bring even more benefits than the Venom line.

Your reviews, as always, are amazing.

Best,
Stephen
You have a whole Reptilium going on!