AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 06-24-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Jacques, are you running your Aida's full range? Your email would seem to indicate that you are.
Charles, yes I am running the Aida full range...
Old 06-24-2015, 11:08 AM
Wilson Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
The good news: my house is still in one piece! The bad news: well, I have none! Ok their heavy!

I had the Thor in my system for a week now. While I have not finalized the setup, some of my first impression are very clear compared to my previous setup using 6 REL G1s. I must say the Thor are IMPRESSIVE in every aspect and this upgrade so far, while crazy, has surpassed my expectation! It is everything I was hoping for, and more!

The following sound impression is in relation to my 6 REL setup
The bass of the Thor is very deep, much deeper then my 6 RELs. I have a lot more harmonics richness. My bass is so much more defined it is unreal. On many recording, I can hear (and feel!) stuff I have never heard! But I was kind of expecting some of that to some degree, but not to the level I am experiencing. It is true I am using my MC2KW for the Thor. While I tried other amp like the MC601 which works very well, the MC2KW on the Thor are so spectacular that I will leave them there. I know it may sound crazy to use such an amplifier for subs, but one cannot judge without earing what they do!

Also, I gained not only on the bass itself, but the soundstage is even more bigger and deeper then before. On classical music the concert hall effect of having subs is multiplied by several order of magnitude compared to my 6 REL. The rest of the spectrum like mid bass and high mid are also much richer in harmonics when using the Thor compared to using no subs, or using my 6 RELs. I am starting to run out of word to describe this upgrade, but as you can see I am very happy with it. In addition tot he Wilson Cross Over, I ended up using a second preamp to get more gain in the bass (this is more due to my room). I am currently using a C48 for that purpose but will try and likely get my dealer demo C500. Ok before anyone thinks I am crazy (ok I am well behind crazy), the second pre-amp I am using in my setup is actually making as much difference as my main pre-amp! The C48 works well thought...

I will report back after doing some more listening trying to articulate better my thoughts and the impact, but so far in one word: WOW!

The integration with my Aida are superb also. Of course all this begs the questions: well, what about replacing the Aida with the XLF? Price aside, of course I am asking myself this question, but what I have now sound so good that I am afraid to change everything!

Jacques
I am so happy to hear you are loving your Thor's Hammers!! They are awesome to say the least.

I am sure you can guess what I would say when it comes to integrating XLF's into your system. However, you said "what I have now sound so good that I am afraid to change everything!" . As the old saying goes: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

If you are happy with it now, there should be no reason to change it up

ENJOY!!!
Old 06-24-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lildebs888 View Post
I am so happy to hear you are loving your Thor's Hammers!! They are awesome to say the least.

I am sure you can guess what I would say when it comes to integrating XLF's into your system. However, you said "what I have now sound so good that I am afraid to change everything!" . As the old saying goes: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

If you are happy with it now, there should be no reason to change it up

ENJOY!!!
Lildebs888, Hi There, so what would you say about the XLF in my system in replacement of the Aida? I have no doubt the XLF is an amazing speakers, I am more concern about change the whole DNA of the system as each speaker design has its own character. I had Wilson before (W/P 8). What I love about the Aida is that the mid is not as frontal as in some Wilson speakers I eared (including the Alexia) which gives a sensation of the sound being a bit more laid back, which I like. I would be afraid to loose the easy listening feature of my system to replace it with a race car with the XLF.

Knowing I could tune the XLF to be laid back, smooth in the highs and liquid as the Aida, would make it interesting. I think by design the Wilson are more precise speakers which is a good thing, but again I also like the "more romantic" presentation of the Sonus Faber.

Insights?

Best.

P.S.: I tried sending as PM but does not seem to work...
Old 06-24-2015, 06:21 PM

Congratulations on those Thors! They look amazing flanking the Aidas. What a
powerful system. I'm glad the walls are still in place .

I had one question: do you think there will be a small time delay to the Thors once you
introduce your second preamp into the mix?
Main: Mc C2200 (Telefunkens) and MC207, Spectral DMA-180, Marantz AV8805A, JL Audio CR-1 and SAv2, Sony ST-SA5ES, TC-KA3ES and MDS-JA50ES, Oppo UDP-205 and BDP-103D, Bryson BDA-3, Magnum Dynalab FM Signal Sleuth, Remedy, PS Audio P12, Pioneer DT-555,
Samsung 65" QLED TV 8K, JBL 4311B, M&K MX125II on Ultra SS Stillpoints, B&W HTM2D2, CCM7.3 S2, CCM683
Office: Sony TA-F700ES (Mod), MDS-JA50ES (Mod) and SEQ-333ES, Accuphase T-107B, Bryston BDA-3, BHA-1 and BUC-1, Audeze LCD-4, Linn Tukan, REL T7 on Ultra SS Stillpoints, PC Server (16 TB)

Mobile:Audison bit One Virtuoso HD, bit Play HD, Amps and speakers.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piolaxo View Post
Congratulations on those Thors! They look amazing flanking the Aidas. What a
powerful system. I'm glad the walls are still in place .

I had one question: do you think there will be a small time delay to the Thors once you
introduce your second preamp into the mix?
Hi, I am already using the C48 and I don't see any delay in the Thors at all
Old 06-24-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
Charles, yes I am running the Aida full range...
Jacques, Here is my thought. You are experiencing some type of gain mismatch. The efficiency of the Aida and the MAXX3 is comparable and both are 4 ohms I believe. If anything I suspect the Aida is more efficient. I have no problems with enough gain. I would consider selling the ARC amps and replace them with MC601's. Use the 601's with the Hammers and the 2kw's with the Aida's. The Hammer's are very efficient. I have no problems with gain at all between my MAXX3's running full range and my Thor. You bought the 2kw's as your reference amps. They should drive your Aida's. You will have money left over. The 601's are perfect for your Hammers. As far as going with an XLF. Why would you want to if you are happy with your Aidas? I don't think the problem with the gain lies with them or with the C1000 but with the ARC amps. It's just inelegant in a system as elegant as yours to run a C48 to add gain to the subs. You mentioned selling the ARC's at one time. I truly believe your problems with gain will vanish once you go all solid state with Mac amps. I also truly believe you ought to go with the big daddy so to speak and drive your Aidas with them, that is the 2kw's. I understand you may go the other way but on normal music with my xover's gain at about 12 noon using a C1000, a 601 to drive the sub, and a 1.2kw my MAXX's, my mono summed 601 rarely goes over 6 watts but the effect on my bass is very dramatic. I don't have louder bass but a deeper more supple bass with a lot more information coming in. You shouldn't be running over 3-4 watts with your configuration and you certainly should be having no problems with lack of enough gain.

Last edited by Charles; 06-24-2015 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Jacques, Here is my thought. You are experiencing some type of gain mismatch. The efficiency of the Aida and the MAXX3 is comparable and both are 4 ohms I believe. If anything I suspect the Aida is more efficient. I have no problems with enough gain. I would consider selling the ARC amps and replace them with MC601's. Use the 601's with the Hammers and the 2kw's with the Aida's. The Hammer's are very efficient. I have no problems with gain at all between my MAXX3's running full range and my Thor. You bought the 2kw's as your reference amps. They should drive your Aida's. You will have money left over. The 601's are perfect for your Hammers. As far as going with an XLF. Why would you want to if you are happy with your Aidas? I don't think the problem with the gain lies with them or with the C1000 but with the ARC amps. It's just inelegant in a system as elegant as yours to run a C48 to add gain to the subs. You mentioned selling the ARC's at one time. I truly believe your problems with gain will vanish once you go all solid state with Mac amps. I also truly believe you ought to go with the big daddy so to speak and drive your Aidas with them, that is the 2kw's. I understand you may go the other way but on normal music with my xover's gain at about 12 noon using a C1000, a 601 to drive the sub, and a 1.2kw my MAXX's, my mono summed 601 rarely goes over 6 watts but the effect on my bass is very dramatic. I don't have louder bass but a deeper more supple bass with a lot more information coming in. You shouldn't be running over 3-4 watts with your configuration and you certainly should be having no problems with lack of enough gain.
Thanks Charles. I will look into it! Best, Jacques
Old 06-29-2015, 09:18 AM

Just a quick update: my system has never been so good! It has been two weeks now since I got the Thor, and I must say everyday when I listen to my system I pinch myself how good it is and I much I love it. Everything sound amazing and I am rediscovering my music collections. Even the Tuner sounds freaking amazing!

I also like how much tuning flexibility I now have with the Thors...a keeper for sure!

Best, Jacques
Old 06-29-2015, 09:37 AM

Your system is impressive Jacques!

Whatever happens to the 6 g1?
Old 06-29-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
Your system is impressive Jacques!

Whatever happens to the 6 g1?
My dealer took them back when I ordered the Thors.