AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc

MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc Ultra High End Equipment

Old 05-11-2009, 12:28 PM

Here is a MBL 1531 Hi-Fi News review...
MBL 1531 CD Player review Hi Fi News
Old 05-11-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberbrown View Post
Here is a MBL 1531 Hi-Fi News review...
MBL 1531 CD Player review Hi Fi News
The MBL 1622 CD/SACD player and 1611f DAC's are as good as the best units out there and should be included if you are in the market for DCS, Esoteric's P01-D-01, Zanden and Boulder. There is not a lot of drop off to the 15xx series.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:34 AM

Jim,

Heard and seen the NEW MBL Reference Lineage setup and Ron's place - complete with Wireworld cables. The new 101E MKII speakers are so beautiful. 4 golden looking pods/pugs per side flanking the sides while the ports are now "recessed" rather than the previous model protruding. Understand new bass drivers and X'overs.

4 pieces of 9008 driving these speakers and of course the 1622 SACD transport + 1611F DA, 6010 pre. This is one of the few complete REFERENCE systems I would love to own (apart form the other 3 more). Kinda makes me sound like a muslim who can have four wives - in this case, 4 systems!

You got to hear them when over here in your next visit!

On the other hand, Ron is also talking me about Jeff Rowland and Rockports ... He's also kinda fickle isnt he? Heh!

Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 07-04-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCC View Post
Jim,

Heard and seen the NEW MBL Reference Lineage setup and Ron's place - complete with Wireworld cables. The new 101E MKII speakers are so beautiful. 4 golden looking pods/pugs per side flanking the sides while the ports are now "recessed" rather than the previous model protruding. Understand new bass drivers and X'overs.

4 pieces of 9008 driving these speakers and of course the 1622 SACD transport + 1611F DA, 6010 pre. This is one of the few complete REFERENCE systems I would love to own (apart form the other 3 more). Kinda makes me sound like a muslim who can have four wives - in this case, 4 systems!

You got to hear them when over here in your next visit!

On the other hand, Ron is also talking me about Jeff Rowland and Rockports ... He's also kinda fickle isnt he? Heh!

Cheers!
Jerry

You are right Ron's reference system is one of the finest anywhere in the world, I would love to get back there and spend some time with the new speakers, and to give the 111F's a go.

Yeah he is a bit fickle but he is a salesman. If he can't get you to drop some Singapore dollars for a MBL rig he will push the Rowlands. I heard 116's and 121's driven by the Rowland's one time but he always had the Rockports on static display.

Hope you are well my friend.
Jim
Old 07-04-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
Jerry

You are right Ron's reference system is one of the finest anywhere in the world, I would love to get back there and spend some time with the new speakers, and to give the 111F's a go.

Yeah he is a bit fickle but he is a salesman. If he can't get you to drop some Singapore dollars for a MBL rig he will push the Rowlands. I heard 116's and 121's driven by the Rowland's one time but he always had the Rockports on static display.

Hope you are well my friend.
Jim
Hi Jim,

I am well (or rather getting on the road to recovery). For sure, I could not part with my Acapellas as they do sounded nice and musical. Moreover, its a heavy "investment", the highest I have ever done for a pair of speakers.

He did sold me the idea of the Jeff Rowland's Class D amps - model M501's, a far cry from the very expensive 300 series with build in DC conditioner. Looking at it, the PS Audio PPP perform the same (or almost the same) process, so might as well give the M501's a listen. He promised me a pair in 4 weeks time. So, I shall wait. Small, little cute amps with powerful output.

I am looking forward to your next visit. For sure, would love to have more time with you.

Cheers!

Last edited by JSCC; 07-05-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCC View Post

Jerry, those 101s deserve four 9011s, not 9008s!!!
Old 07-05-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
Jerry, those 101s deserve four 9011s, not 9008s!!!
Well said ... but near impossible to make happen.

I would go for the 4 pieces of 9008! Good enough for a estimated 450 square feet listening room.

Last edited by JSCC; 07-05-2009 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:13 PM

Howie
Four 9011's would weigh about 800 pounds (360 kilos) and take up a whole lot of space.
Jim
Old 08-01-2009, 12:11 PM

Default Dear Jim, would appreciate your thoughts on the Noble series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
The noble line is very good. Give it a listen.

Dear Jim,

Hi my name is Leon and I note with interest that you have a pair of MBL 111Es. Its been a while since I last upgraded my system, but with a family possibly in the way next year, I am being naughty and thinking of getting rid of my Cary tube system for a solid state (my excuse is that it is more child friendly). I am drawing up a shortlist of brands which I like and the MBL is one of them. My wife has heard the 116F and likes the MBL sound, so that's one barrier down! I am getting a bit lazy these days and a bit wary of wasting much money experimenting with different branded components and now would prefer to buy an entire music system from a single brand. That way I can be sure that I do know that I am getting very much the sound I auditioned.

I would like to ask you whether the MBL 111s can be driven satisfactorily with their recommended Noble line 8011AM monoblocks. I have no doubt that their Reference range 9007 or 9008A would do a better job but the price differential is considerable. I am also rather a believer in the concept that "all components in the audio signal trail should be commensurate", so if I did get a pair of Reference monoblocks, I would not be able to sleep well thinking that my upstream components are "only" of the Noble line! (Help!)

I also noticed that you are driving your MBL 111s with very powerful and good front end electronics. Certainly with 1.2kW of Mac power feeding the 111s, they will sing very well indeed! Have you heard the 111s powered by the 0.3kW 8011AMs? How do they factor up? Another option for me is to consider using Accuphase front end to drive them (M-6000). I like the sonic qualities and build of the Accuphase gear but am not sure if they are synergistic with MBLs.

I apologize for the rambling and look forwards to your reply.

With kind regards,
Leon
Old 08-02-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberbrown View Post
My curiosity has been piqued by some MBL gear.

The MBL 1511 is a DAC...
approx $11000 new, $4300 on the gon...

They seem to be in the same price range as some McIntosh products. How do they compare?
I've heard the MBL 1511d and it compares very favorably to the Mac but I'd rather have the MDA1000. Haven't heard the 1511f yet.