AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 02-01-2010, 02:01 PM
License to Chill

Default New Krell Blu-ray Player

Seems Krell couldn't resist the calling of ol' blu any longer. Makes the MVP881 seem like a bargain. Wonder if there's an Oppo under the hood... Nah, no one would do that, would they?

HDTV Magazine - Krell Industries Introduces First Blu-ray Player
Old 02-02-2010, 09:39 PM

The specs all pointed to the Oppo .... Sabre .....

Is this the first product sans Dan A ... ? Hmmm, I wonder.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Merry Christmas to all

$15K for a Blue-ray player?

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 02-02-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
$15K for a Blue-ray player?
I hate to say this but I'm using the fiberoptic out on my bluray player to the MX120 with its 24/192 DAC and the audio is very good. The video also goes through the MX120 and all I can say is it is quite amazing quality for a $300 player.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Merry Christmas to all

David.......You ought to try the analog outs on the new Oppo BDP-83SE Blue-ray player. Your $300 Blue-ray player will quickly be relegated to some other room in your home, or the Goodwill.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 02-10-2010, 03:50 PM
License to Chill

Just received an email from Krell touting their CES showing. Here's a little more info from them regarding their new blu-ray player.

The Reference Standard for Blu-ray playback

A very exciting release was the new Evolution 555 Blu-ray player. Jerry Del Colliano of Home Theater Reviews of plasma HDTVs, LCD HDTVs, Front Projectors, HDMI receivers, AV preamps, Blu-ray players and audiophile electronics described the Evolution 555 this way “The fit and finish of the player was absolutely top-notch and the video feeding a SIM2 Mico50 projector was jaw-droppingly good.” In classic Krell fashion, our first effort in any category is an all out assault on that category.

Featuring the acclaimed 12-bit Sigma Designs VXP technology, this superior engine delivers the world’s highest quality video processing algorithms for noise reduction, de-interlacing, scaling, image enhancement and frame rate conversion. The Evolution 555 includes extensive aspect ratio control including a vertical stretch feature for systems employing 2.35:1 Constant Image Height display systems. Vertical stretch eliminates the black bars at the top and bottom of the image without adding distortion, or artifacts. It is most beneficial for those users of Cinema Scope screens and projectors with anamorphic lenses, as the processing is done in the digital domain.

In addition to its ultimate quality video, Evolution 555 is a Profile 2.0 Ready (BD Live) Blu-ray/DVD player with 1GB of onboard memory. An SD card slot allows for expanded memory for BD Live and Bonus View movie titles, as well as playback options for photos and music files. For the highest level of connectivity to the world of exciting current-day as well as future entertainment enhancements, the Evolution 555 features an onboard Ethernet port that allows for Internet connectivity, firmware updates, BD Live interactivity and IP control. Additionally, an 802.11b/g/n wireless card can be added to perform the same functions. This network capability also provides access to online streaming and media files resident on a home network.

Upgradeable to HDMI 1.4

The Evolution 555 is fully HDMI 1.3 compliant but with a direct fix on the future, the Evolution 555 includes an upgrade path to the future that makes it quite literally the most advanced and “future-ready” source component. Already equipped with an HDMI 1.4 transmitter, the Sigma Designs VXP video processor is located on a plug-in card for in-field upgrade to HDMI 1.4 with full support for 3D and 4Kx2K Resolution Support.

For the ultimate in audio performance, the Evolution 555 features the ESS Technology 32-bit Sabre Reference DACs connected to Krell differential Krell Evolution CAST analog circuitry. Balanced outputs and single ended outputs are also included for use with conventional preamplifiers.

The Evolution 555 will ship in the late 2nd quarter with a retail of $15,000.

Please contact the sales department at sales@krellonline.com or 203-298-4021 with any questions.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Media Server Aficionado

(ps Krell would like to thank OPPO for all their help in the design and manufacture of this unit)
Old 02-26-2010, 06:00 PM

it must be an oppo!!
Old 02-26-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebop86 View Post
it must be an oppo!!
If I had an all Krell system with CAST circuitry I don't think I would be buying the standard or SE OPPO even if 95% of the guts were the same.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
If I had an all Krell system with CAST circuitry I don't think I would be buying the standard or SE OPPO even if 95% of the guts were the same.
I dont think the Krell is a rebadged oppo. From what I read it is very different.