AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 05-09-2018, 01:56 PM

nicoff, I am connecting the "typical" way, balanced cables from the phono preamp to 2L and 2 R, balanced inputs of the SP3. I've checked several times that the JC 3 is set to MM, the center position between 47K MC and 100K MC.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
nicoff, I am connecting the "typical" way, balanced cables from the phono preamp to 2L and 2 R, balanced inputs of the SP3. I've checked several times that the JC 3 is set to MM, the center position between 47K MC and 100K MC.
Ok. Here is another thing to check. The SP3 allows you to set a different Speaker Level for each source. I understand that the purpose for this is to allow the user to set the output volume for the different sources in a way that all sources play at the same level.
Have you checked the speaker level settings for the BAL-2 source (or wherever you have connected) in comparison with the other sources? It is possible that the BAL-2 speaker levels are much higher than the other sources.

To check this out you need to enter the Main Menu, then SOURCE SETUP, then SPEAKR LEVEL. You will then see what is the level for each of the speakers (L, C, R, Rs, Rb, Lb, SUB). It is possible that the Speaker Level for your particular source is much higher that the other sources that you are comparing them to. You can adjust the level for each speaker so that the volume output is the same to other sources.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:55 AM

nicoff, unfortunately that's not the problem. All speakers are set to zero for Balanced 2 just as they are for Balanced 1. Balanced analog from the Ayre DX-5 DSD to SP3 Balanced 1 yields superb sound that matches other source levels closely. I think the next step is to reconnect the Ortofon 30H cartridge of the Thorens setup to the JC 3 - SP3, because the sound through the JC 3 - JC 2 BP link was as good if not a bit better than when playing discs.

db
Old 05-11-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
nicoff, unfortunately that's not the problem. All speakers are set to zero for Balanced 2 just as they are for Balanced 1. Balanced analog from the Ayre DX-5 DSD to SP3 Balanced 1 yields superb sound that matches other source levels closely. I think the next step is to reconnect the Ortofon 30H cartridge of the Thorens setup to the JC 3 - SP3, because the sound through the JC 3 - JC 2 BP link was as good if not a bit better than when playing discs.

db

Did you figure out what’s wrong?
Old 05-12-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
Not yet.

When using the Balanced 1 or 2 inputs, should the 2 channel by-pass or stereo function be selected? Of course, the sources are analog stereo.

db
Old 05-12-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Not yet.

When using the Balanced 1 or 2 inputs, should the 2 channel by-pass or stereo function be selected? Of course, the sources are analog stereo.

db

Select the 2-channel bypass for 2-channel analog stereo sources.

One thing you can try is to switch the connections. For example if your turntable is now connected to the Bal-2 input, then change it to Bal-1 and see if the volume is still too loud.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
I think I've been wrong about the level problem, the music when I play a record seems in line with other sources, but it's interrupted by very loud spikes that I now suspect are due to shorting somewhere. I think that somewhere might be at the cartridge, because the spikes don't occur until the stylus hits the record. At one point before attaching the headshell, I removed the stylus just to look at it, something you're supposed to be able to do. The stylus seems to slide in perhaps too easily. Wondering about trying an Ortofon Blue. I might want that upgrade anyway, and it would be a way to check if the problem is with the stylus-to-cartridge interface.

db
Old 05-14-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I think I've been wrong about the level problem, the music when I play a record seems in line with other sources, but it's interrupted by very loud spikes that I now suspect are due to shorting somewhere. I think that somewhere might be at the cartridge, because the spikes don't occur until the stylus hits the record. At one point before attaching the headshell, I removed the stylus just to look at it, something you're supposed to be able to do. The stylus seems to slide in perhaps too easily. Wondering about trying an Ortofon Blue. I might want that upgrade anyway, and it would be a way to check if the problem is with the stylus-to-cartridge interface.

db
Hi DB

I think this might be caused by the cartridge overloading the input of the SP3 - what is the output of the cartridge?

james
Old 05-14-2018, 03:45 PM

James,

I think it's 5.5 mV, but the cartridge is connected to a Parasound JC 3 phono preamp that is connected to the SP3. I've assumed there needs to be a phonostage between the cartridge and the SP3, is that correct?

db
Old 05-14-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
James,

I think it's 5.5 mV, but the cartridge is connected to a Parasound JC 3 phono preamp that is connected to the SP3. I've assumed there needs to be a phonostage between the cartridge and the SP3, is that correct?

db
Yes a phono stage is needed - if you have a cartridge below 5mV try that.

james