AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Japanese Exotica

Japanese Exotica Kondo, Leben, Luxman, Zanden

Old 08-16-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelius View Post
Agreed. I had to do some rationalizing to buy my Vosne-Romanee which was not far off from the price of my car. I think I'd have to do some major mental gymnastics to justify gear that costs about as much as my first house. Of course if you are lucky enough to have the discretionary funds - go for it. Unfortunately my audio eyes tend to be bigger than my wallet.

By the way - agree 100% on the GM70's. Of all the Shindo amps I heard, that's the one that blew me away. May need to start playing the loto...
Having discretionary funds does not mean losing touch with reality in my household. I don't mind spending on one of my favorite hobbies but I also look for value and performance vs price. While much of the audio gear is pretty darn expensive and overpriced to begin with, I do see value in many brands that I have enjoyed and experienced in the past, Shindo included but when it comes to pure silver transformers and 6 digit price tags to go along with them, I have to say no to myself. That's not to say that others shouldn't! Whatever turns you on and if you got it to spend it and can justify the price tag to yourself, more power to you!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Having discretionary funds does not mean losing touch with reality in my household. I don't mind spending on one of my favorite hobbies but I also look for value and performance vs price. While much of the audio gear is pretty darn expensive and overpriced to begin with, I do see value in many brands that I have enjoyed and experienced in the past, Shindo included but when it comes to pure silver transformers and 6 digit price tags to go along with them, I have to say no to myself. That's not to say that others shouldn't! Whatever turns you on and if you got it to spend it and can justify the price tag to yourself, more power to you!
I can't say I disagree with you Serge. Were the Ongaku 100k I would probably not give it a 2nd look but if i can knock the dealer down and find a mint preamp then may be just may be sometime in the future I might consider it. After all, a new pair of westminsters will cost me half what the strads are worth. That alone will come in handy! May be Jerry can jump on board and we can buy two pairs of westminsters even more cheaply!

howie
Old 08-16-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
I can't say I disagree with you Serge. Were the Ongaku 100k I would probably not give it a 2nd look but if i can knock the dealer down and find a mint preamp then may be just may be sometime in the future I might consider it. After all, a new pair of westminsters will cost me half what the strads are worth. That alone will come in handy! May be Jerry can jump on board and we can buy two pairs of westminsters even more cheaply!

howie
If the opportunity presents itself, Go for it Howie! Of course many of us here would love to hear what a combo like that would sound like.
I'll be getting a taste of that later this week when the Canterburys arrive with my Shindo gear but the Westminsters and Kondo is not in the cards for me.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:

howie
Westminsters in the Master Bedroom? What a thought! Wow!

Serge, I dont need a SUPER King Size bedroom to do that. The Westminsters replaces my King Size bed! My wife and me will sleep on it!

Seriously, if Ongaku + Westminsters is the way to go, I'll tag along with Howie as he does get way better pricing on the speakers. Maybe I can work something on the Ongaku over here.

Funds? Well, put it this way, when reaching this HUMONGOUS state of things, tough decisions will have to be made. My pocket is only as deep as it goes without my wife wringing my head off, or for a start, my ears went deaf (so no more hifi man)!

Its EITHER / OR situation. If I keep the Meridian, then its play-play stuff for the second system. Cutesy Leben plus mini Tannoy Autographs! Westminsters? I'll have to think and work my butt off to convince my wife that barely 6 months ago, how come I jumped to the White Pair with a $25k adder! "You think its funny Mr. Seh"? ... my wife would start ... and Shi&t will follow. I dont think I ever want that. Peace so long is good. Continuity of peace is better!

Now, I can talk-talk anything over the forum for fun, but come to the real situation, my head will have to swell with all the thinking about DECISIONS and how to pull it off!

Serge, I am no Howie and cant simply pull things off like he can. Those days are over where cables are free and speakers and amps never costs more than $6k.

Howie's wife had a high level of tolerance elasticity while my wife's is going to if I am not careful how to bring this subject up.

OK, lets continue the talk, while I continue to dream .....
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 08-16-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCC View Post

Serge, I dont need a SUPER King Size bedroom to do that. The Westminsters replaces my King Size bed! My wife and me will sleep on it!

Seriously, if Ongaku + Westminsters is the way to go, I'll tag along with Howie as he does get way better pricing on the speakers. Maybe I can work something on the Ongaku over here.

Funds? Well, put it this way, when reaching this HUMONGOUS state of things, tough decisions will have to be made. My pocket is only as deep as it goes without my wife wringing my head off, or for a start, my ears went deaf (so no more hifi man)!

Its EITHER / OR situation. If I keep the Meridian, then its play-play stuff for the second system. Cutesy Leben plus mini Tannoy Autographs! Westminsters? I'll have to think and work my butt off to convince my wife that barely 6 months ago, how come I jumped to the White Pair with a $25k adder! "You think its funny Mr. Seh"? ... my wife would start ... and Shi&t will follow. I dont think I ever want that. Peace so long is good. Continuity of peace is better!

Now, I can talk-talk anything over the forum for fun, but come to the real situation, my head will have to swell with all the thinking about DECISIONS and how to pull it off!

Serge, I am no Howie and cant simply pull things off like he can. Those days are over where cables are free and speakers and amps never costs more than $6k.

Howie's wife had a high level of tolerance elasticity while my wife's is going to if I am not careful how to bring this subject up.

Jerry We are not that different. I was going to mention the Vitus discounted stuff this morning but backed off. (just for fun, I am not going that way)

howie
Old 08-16-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Jerry We are not that different. I was going to mention the Vitus discounted stuff this morning but backed off. (just for fun, I am not going that way)

howie
Oh dear me ... you used up your "quota" too huh?

Dont play play, or else you sleep in the garage man!

And back to being the "primitive man", iPhone + Earphones!

"Mess me with me will 'ya, all these hifi talk never seem to end. Wait till I knock your brains out so that you will have some sense" ......
Old 08-17-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCC View Post

Jerry, sounds like without your wife you really would be sleeping on top of the Westminsters.

Hey, you still have a killer system, right? So don't be upset at your wife if she has to pull the reigns in every once in a while. Sounds to me like you guys have a good balance going.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Jerry, sounds like without your wife you really would be sleeping on top of the Westminsters.

Hey, you still have a killer system, right? So don't be upset at your wife if she has to pull the reigns in every once in a while. Sounds to me like you guys have a good balance going.

I totally agree. Moderation is the key!
Old 08-24-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
I totally agree. Moderation is the key!
Moderation?

Or are we being Extremist?

I sometimes wonder, if in the end, its more like how we perceive things in our own way, how passionate we go into the hobby than just these two words where we can, in "CALM" situation utter.

Itch comes, these words DONT apply. Its MUST HAVE IT!

I would always asked myself 3 to 4 times if I would buy a shirt that costs S$50, when I never did buy one for the past 2 years. But I never would bat an eyelid if an audio gear (or system) fascinates me to the point I just signed the cheque. Of course, like some guys always said, "find excuses/make up stories and asked for forgiveness later". BUT seemingly this habit never dies .. its just stops for a while and before one knows, it starts all over again!

So far, I am glad, I am STILL sane because of Meridian ... but for how long?
Old 02-19-2014, 07:31 PM
Mac + Ayre + Vivid + Stax

Are there 2 Audio Note companies?
Kondo Audio Note
Audio Note Home Page

Seems like it...
ACDC - Back in Black. Adele - 19. Bryan Adams - Bare Bones. Diana Krall - Live in Paris; When I Look in Your Eyes. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. Don Williams - Borrowed Tales. FleetwoodMac - Tango in the Night. Frank Sinatra - At the Sands. Genesis - A Trick of the Tail. Gipsy Kings - Love Songs. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark. Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert. Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear. Marta Gómez - Entre Cada Palabra. Metallica - Metallica. Michael Jackson - Thriller. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed. Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder; Wish You Were Here. Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Live in Japan. U2 - Rattle and Hum.