AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 04-02-2011, 02:29 AM
dpod4

New to the forum. I have enjoyed reading the threads, seeing the pictures and drawing insights and inspiration. Just added a new table and arm yesterday. Clearaudio Innovation Wood with Graham Phantom B44 ii tonearm (universal on its way) and Benz LP-S cartridge. Into Herron VTPH-2 phono preamp via Tara Labs Zero phono cable. I love the speed/pitch stability of the Innovation. Brings a dynamic, solid pace/timing and weight to the sound. Has superb transparency and extension. Not warm and muddled. Clearaudio has put alot of thought and technology into this product. Benz LP-S sounds as great on this table as it did on my Basis.

MobileMe Gallery
Old 04-02-2011, 11:19 AM
From the BAT cave ...

dpod4 ... Welcome aboard!
Old 04-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Merry Christmas to all

dpod4.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado.

Sounds like you will fit right in with the gang.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-02-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpod4 View Post
New to the forum. I have enjoyed reading the threads, seeing the pictures and drawing insights and inspiration. Just added a new table and arm yesterday. Clearaudio Innovation Wood with Graham Phantom B44 ii tonearm (universal on its way) and Benz LP-S cartridge. Into Herron VTPH-2 phono preamp via Tara Labs Zero phono cable. I love the speed/pitch stability of the Innovation. Brings a dynamic, solid pace/timing and weight to the sound. Has superb transparency and extension. Not warm and muddled. Clearaudio has put alot of thought and technology into this product. Benz LP-S sounds as great on this table as it did on my Basis.

MobileMe Gallery
dpod4...very nice table. Welcome to AA Curious which Basis table you had before switching to the Clearaudio Innovation.

Last edited by cmalak; 04-02-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:32 PM

Welcome to AA, dpod4!
Have you considered getting the outer clamp for your platter? I feel it makes a nice difference. Happy listening!

Reg
TT-2: JA Michelle Gyro SE, SME IV.Vi, Lyra Helikon Mono Cart, HR Power Supply
Phono Stage-1: Aesthetix Io Eclipse
Phono Stage-2: Channel D - Seta Model L
Server-1: Sooloos Control15 / 808.3 CDP / MD600 2x3TB / TwinStore 2x3TB / MS600
Server-2: Mac Pro (16G RAM), 2x3Ghz, Quad Core, 4 SSD Drives (Hirez, AIFF)
Software: Amarra 2.3/Amarra Vinyl/Pure Vinyl 3.0 NAS: NetGear READYNAS PRO (4Tb, ALAC)
ADC & DAC: Amarra Model 4 (Sonic Studio Badged: Metric Halo LIO-8 + DSP)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Stradavari (2) Sub's: JL Audio Fathom f113 (2)
Power: PS Audio PPP (4)
Isolation: HRS-MXR Racks (2), SRA Amp Stands (4), Sound Anchor Sub Stands (2)
Room Treatments:(Diffusion): RPG Hemiffusor W1 (Bass Absorption): RealTraps
Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6.0 XLR's & SC's, Silver Electra PC's
Old 04-13-2011, 11:51 PM
dpod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCubinNY View Post
Welcome to AA, dpod4!
Have you considered getting the outer clamp for your platter? I feel it makes a nice difference. Happy listening!

Reg
Hello! Yes, I have the outer peripheral ring and am waiting for the locator ring/guide. Too hard to center the outer ring without the guide. I also am trying out different clamps. Right now two work very well -- the HRS analogue disk and the artemis (very unique design). I've also posted here some better pictures of the table. I'm so happy with the Clearaudio -- such resolving power, grip, speed stability, inner resolution and punch/dynamics/extension. I'm not sure how much of this is the new arm (Graham Phantom B44ii versus the Vector 4) or the new cable (Tara Labs Zero GX)...the cartridge is the same (Benz LP-S) and the phono preamp is the same (Herron VTPH-2). My former table is the Basis 2001, which is wonderful....more organic and warm and analogue sounding than the Clearaudio. I am waiting to also add a 2500 signature to my system. And I am buying a Atma-Sphere 208 (modified Empire 208). I am smitten with vinyl in a big way. I am also very very happy with my ModWright Sony 5400es digital front end. It has completely floored me with what is possible with digital. I listen mainly to vinyl, but I am very happy listening to cds and SACDs via the ModWright player....I was actually alarmed at how close it approximated my vinyl setup -- refinement, layering, energy, dimension, etc.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:12 PM

Well the thread title says "Let's see your turntable", as in singular. But what if you have two, or three for that matter?

Well here's a quick rundown of my TT's. These pics were taken over a period of time as I acquired each unit.

The Denon was the first TT I bought in quite a few years. I had a Music Hall MMF-5 some years back but didn't like it. It didn't sound good to me at all no matter what cart I used, so after about 6 months, I sold it and just listened to CD's and SACD's. One day I was just browsing the inter-webs when I came across a pic of these old Denon TT's. My oldest brother had a DP-62L and I always loved that table. After seeing that pic on the web, I got interested in vinyl all over again, so I was on the hunt for a Denon table of my own. The DP-55K is the result of that hunt!

The Luxman came to be because my girlfriend was showing interest in vinyl as well and said she wanted her own deck (being afraid to touch the Denon), so I picked up the PD277 since it's a fully automatic deck.

The ELAC I got from my father after learning about Lenco TT's and it got me interested in the old ELAC since they are a fully mechanical, similar design. My father bought that TT new many years ago from RadioShack. This thing is in like new shape. No rust, no pitting, no scratches, nothing. It's flawless. All I did was clean off all the old grease and put on new white lithium grease and it operates perfectly.

BTW, I need to get some up to date pics of the system soon. Possibly this weekend. Anywho...

Denon DP-55K with a Grace G-707 MK II tone arm and Benz Micro Ace SH cart

Luxman PD277 with an Adcom HC-VDH II cart

ELAC Miracord 40A with an Audio Technica AT3100S cart

Old 04-21-2011, 05:57 AM
Retired

Nice 'set' of TTs/TAs/cartridges.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-21-2011, 08:20 AM

Why thank you! They may be old, but they still make beautiful sound.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Charles.......I have always admired the Denon DP-55K direct drive turntable. Yours, with the Grace tonearm, is beautiful. If Denon would reintroduce this turntable they would sell a boat load of them. Their current offerings are weak in comparison to the DP-55K.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A