AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 04-03-2024, 11:34 AM
Just Pure Lucky

Default Selling Wilson Audio Alexia 1's & have Børresen X2's coming Thursday (04/05/24)

As known, I have my Wilson Audio Alexia 1's for sale and have received several offers; yet, one that appears promising is from a Chinese guy located in Shenzhen, PRC.

He made an offer which was countered; and pretty much accepted by both, yet it's like passing a bill thru Congress - what is the bottom line; specifically shipping 3 crates weighing 398 pounds. Estimates, what's the allowance per -- in total by the buyer, split 50/50%, etc.

Both decided to get a quote & compare the numbers, etc. I've asked Team Worldwide who are the exclusive shipper of WA for a door to China port quote.

It's taken a week, but TW came through. Considering the distance, their quote of $3.5K is about what I expected. Additionally, what's nice is TW has an office in Shenzhen.

The potential buyer must be in the import/export business as he has a logistical agent in the USA & has not received a quote from my door to the port as yet.

We've communicated via WhatsApp several times; yet, I'm getting the feeling that he was a tie kicker.

So, we'll see where that goes.

On another, similar/related matter, I've decided to box up the Alexias and procure a temporary solution until Alexia V's arrive in June '24. To procure something for temporary use maybe irrational but having owned Raidho C3.1's with the fast ribbon tweeter is a cat's meow.

I did drive to Chapel Hill the other day and listened to Børresen X1 monitors. He was using a McIntosh MC452 and it sounded fantastic --solid stiff bass was there & then that ribbon filled in the blanks.

At $5,500 for the X1's and $1,100 for the stands that's $6,600 & not full range.

The next model up is the full range X2's which are receiving high praise. At $8,800 per pair & equipped with the Børresen Ribbon tweeter and two 4.5 inch Børresen X-series speaker drivers, it was a no brainer to select the X2. I should have them by Thursday & hopefully up and running shortly afterwards.

More to follow.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg X1 wstands.jpg (19.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg X2.jpg (4.5 KB, 18 views)
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts. (on Order)
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 04-03-2024 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:42 PM

Wonderful, Congrats Bob! The entire Audio Group Denmark brands have triggered my interests as of late. Would love to hear your impressions of the X2s!
Main System: Sf Amati Tradition, B&W DB1 sub, McIntosh C2300, MC501s, MA12000, MCD500, HiFi Rose RS150B, Oppo 105, Niagara 5000, AQ Tornado/Thunder/Blizzard PCs, Robin Hood BiWire (zero+bass), Gibraltar SCs, Water ICs, Cinnamon RJ/E, Solidsteel HF-3 racks.
2nd System: Sf Cremona Auditor M, McIntosh C50, MC275(VI), MA6600, Node 2i, Oppo 95, AQ NRG-4 PCs, Robin Hood Zero SC, Cobra/Nordost Heimdall ICs.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:48 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Congrats. Børresens are some great sounding speakers. I’ve wondered what they would sound like with Vitus Masterpiece components. Please post plenty of pics. Happy

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:00 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogear View Post
Wonderful, Congrats Bob! The entire Audio Group Denmark brands have triggered my interests as of late. Would love to hear your impressions of the X2s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeN View Post
Congrats. Børresens are some great sounding speakers. I’ve wondered what they would sound like with Vitus Masterpiece components. Please post plenty of pics. Happy
Well s*** happens and today was placed under doctors orders not to lift over 5 pounds for the next 10 days. Life is grande -- it does suc*) getting old as most know.

Fortunately, I have a great 19-year-old audiophile a few houses down, full of testerone who will help unbox & place the X2's Sunday.

I'm mission focused - Doctors be damned (within reason).

Thanks everyone!!!

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts. (on Order)
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 04-03-2024 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:56 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Oh yes, the doctor’s orders. Been there and have more than a few t-shirts. Sorry you are going thru this. Get well soon.

Look forward to Saturday!

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:02 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeN View Post
Oh yes, the doctor’s orders. Been there and have more than a few t-shirts. Sorry you are going thru this. Get well soon.

Look forward to Saturday!
Thanks Joe

Bob
Old 04-04-2024, 01:20 PM

Bob, absolute congrats on the new speakers. I don't know much about the Borresens but I am sure they will sound great with your VAC amps. Also, I understand that the Alexia V is a significant improvement over the the Alexia 2. You were really smart to patiently wait for the Alexia V. I believe it will stand you in good stead for many years to come. I wish I knew 10% as much about tubes as you, but I'm learning.

Best

Charles

Charles Updated System: Wilson McIntosh Audioquest

Amps: McIntosh MC3500MKII (2); McIntosh MC1.25KW (2); MC2.1KW An (1)
Preamp: C-12000 An
Sources: MCD12000 An; MVP881; MVP851; MR87; Marantz 510LV; ASUS laptop
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Chronosonic XVX
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1); Wilson ActivXO Stereo Electronic Crossover
Cables main system: Audioquest WEL Signature speaker cables; balanced IC (preamp to main amps); WEL Signature digital coaxial cable for MVP 881/MCD12000; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for MVP 851 DVD player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Audioquest Diamond USB cable; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for MR87 tuner
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC; Wind balanced IC from preamp to ActivXO; Hurricane HC (3); Hurricane Source (1); Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines.
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals; Bassocontinuo McIntosh Ultra Feet; X-material plinth
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD)
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
Old 04-05-2024, 10:41 AM

Having been under orders to not lift more than 10 lbs, and remembering how weak I was during that period, I can imagine a 5 lb limit as VERY tough. BE CAREFUL!!!
Old 04-05-2024, 08:22 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Børresen X2 speaker delivery delayed until Monday, 04/08/24 -- still in Atlanta.

One way to look at it "if I had no bad luck I'd have no luck at all."

Bob
Old 04-05-2024, 08:24 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
Having been under orders to not lift more than 10 lbs, and remembering how weak I was during that period, I can imagine a 5 lb limit as VERY tough. BE CAREFUL!!!
Absolutely -- especially when I have my own punch list of tasks I would like to see completed.

Bob