AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 08-08-2011, 02:27 PM

I have plenty of "experience" with the gear. You forget that I do this for a living and have had the opportunity to hear pretty much everything there is.

As for my negativity, it's more skepticism. If you've been paying any attention at all, we've never written a really negative review about anything. If we think something is truly awful, we send it back to the mfr.

And as far as "respect" I think we're talking about two different things.

Last of all, please don't put words in my mouth. You know nothing about me, my system, or my business. That's obvious. If you want to be a Shindo fanboy and worship them, that's great it's still a free country for a little while.

I don't worship anyone's gear. I just listen to it and report what I hear. If that's of use to you great. If it isn't, then it isn't.

We started out on this path with curiosity. Again, you weren't paying attention. And as for respect, that has to be earned. So far, the only person in this cult of personality that's earned my respect is the person that's volunteered to get on a plane with their preamp (at my expense) and give it a listen in my environment.

When was the last time you saw Art Dudley do that?

Yeah, I thought so.

This is why these forums all become so boring. Everyone gets their panties in a knot because someone doesn't think they have the best toys. If you love your Shindo stuff, that's great because you've found the system you love. If I wanted a complete Shindo system tomorrow I could buy one. And it wouldn't be the most expensive gear I own.

As far as the negativity goes, I've put up with your negativity for months now on practically every post I've made that doesn't agree with your opinions, so I doubt you will agree with anything I have to say about Shindo other than that it's the most amazing stuff in the world.

We've never bashed anyone elses products and we won't bash Shindo either. Grow up.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:04 PM

It's a passionate hobby...and I like to see passion and emotion in those who make it a living as well...At least you know it's not just about the advertising dollars!

Let's give Jeff the benefit of the doubt and once he does get a chance to hear both a pre and maybe even a combo pre & amp maybe he'll find a soft place in his heart for Shindo. We all take different roads towards the same goals...sometimes we end up in the same place, sometimes we don't.

I do agree with most of your points though Serge regarding Shindo's "strategy" (if you can even call it that) as those are my feelings as well. I'm hoping this foray into Shindo for me is the beginning of a life-long connection and collection of art.

On a lighter note since we compare Shindo to art so much, in the vain of other artists what "period" would you consider his current lineup in relation to his production since the start of his business...

Would you say impressionist, renaissance, abstract, romantic, modern, midcentury, etc?

I can't say with certainty yet but I would say "romantic" due to the deep shades of green, stylistic silk screened flowing label, warm tube glow with green "accent" lighting culminating the renewed interest in aesthetic beauty while strongly challenging that new technology solves everything (the audio version of rejecting scientific rationalization from the previous Enlightenment era). This carries into the supposed house sound being organic, natural, & musical vs. hifi, clinical, measurable.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
Next time I have a stack of 20's that I don't need I'll just buy one...

Then well see what's really going on.

Quote:
Seriously, I'll get my hands on one this year and see if it passes muster or not...
Quote:
The plot thickens...

Now, I've received word from Mr. Halpern that I am to "follow their wishes" and not review an amplifier or preamplifier at all. They say that it has to be used in a "Full System" or it can't be evaluated properly. Really.
Quote:
It's really too bad actually. Whenever I've heard Shindo at shows, it's always been pleasant, and I tend to like things a bit on the warm and romantic side, though perhaps not quite as "delicious" as our pal Alberto.

So, Shindo will remain the great mystery....
Quote:
Agreed, provided the reality meets the mystery...

Quote:
Well, when one of you guys puts together an all shindo system, I'll take you to dinner in exchange for a listen...

Quote:
I've given up on the Shindo thing. They really don't want anyone other than Art Dudley to review their gear and their importer has made it clear that even if I were to buy Shindo gear AT RETAIL, I'm to "respect their wishes" and not write about it.

Really? Last I heard this country still had freedom of speech.

Quote:
I have plenty of "experience" with the gear. You forget that I do this for a living and have had the opportunity to hear pretty much everything there is.

Quote:
This is why these forums all become so boring. Everyone gets their panties in a knot because someone doesn't think they have the best toys. If you love your Shindo stuff, that's great because you've found the system you love. If I wanted a complete Shindo system tomorrow I could buy one. And it wouldn't be the most expensive gear I own.

We've never bashed anyone elses products and we won't bash Shindo either. Grow up.

Lot's of emotions going on here Jeff.... I still can't understand if you do or do not have any experience with Shindo? If you do, then why go through all the trouble of having someone fly to you? Your "holier than thou" attitude even suggest that Art Dudley owes you something and must come to you. Why don't you come to him???

Or, why don't you take that stack of 20's and buy yourself a Shindo? Everyone knows you will sell it within 5 minutes on A'gon when you're done with it, such is the demand and you'll probably get 80-85 cents on the dollar, could be less expensive than a plane ticket... Tell us how you really feel, make the fanboys happy or ruin their day by saying something negative.

Jeff, with all due respect to your work, I have been involved with this hobby for over 20 years myself, I don't need any reviewer out there telling me something I can't hear or understand myself. I really don't need your endorsement of Shindo to reassure me I have made the right purchase. Nor would any negative comments sway me even for a second.

I wouldn't dare claim that Shindo is the best in the world, whatever that implies. There is no such thing, there is only "I love this" or "I don't care for this" as great as it may be. Different courses for different horses. Plenty of great sounding gear out there. I just found my slice of nirvana with Shindo, simple as that.

You are correct in saying that most audio forums out there get boring. They get boring because of the attitude of the posters. I find AA to be very stimulating and pleasant to participate in because of lack of "attitude". You sir, simply rub me the wrong way with your attitude, especially when you resort to name calling like you did in some other posts about other gear. Good luck with your Shindo auditions.

Last edited by PHC1; 08-08-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:49 PM

Open invitation to anyone who is in the SF bay area to listen to my Shindo gear (VR preamp, Montille amp, and various Shindo related accessories). My feelings will not be hurt if you think my stuff is crap. I don't have a full Shindo system but I think the Shindo sound comes through. I enjoy talking to fellow audiophiles and spinning vinyl so it's not any major trouble on my end. My listening space is not ideal and my place is kind of small but the invite is there.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion
Old 08-08-2011, 04:17 PM

Same here, open invite to Southern California (Long Beach)...As with sibelius, I don't have the perfect setup as I share my listening room with my living room but then not all of us can afford a dedicated listening room and still have money left for gear to play in it

Sibelius, if i'm up in the SF bay area i'll definitely be paying Matt a visit and I'll look you up to see if I can swing by your place as well to hear your setup. I'd love to hear the VR + Montille in a non-dealer setup. Besides, it's always fun to talk, laugh and learn about each others audio journey.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:24 PM

Ditto, once I get my room all setup and finished, my place welcomes anyone interested in Shindo. It will be a while before I get a full Shindo system going (still experimenting with speakers) but I think it will give anyone a pretty good idea none the less.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:24 PM

WOW,
Look what I started !
Cool down guys !
I also read in a french forum that a Marantz 8B in good condition or an old Mc sound very close to Shindo... and this was from a Shindo owner ! So all opinions deserve respect.
The most important is to be satisfied with your gear.
Shindo is getting a cult status, and that is great news.
Buying an audio component that could be sold if needed, as an art work, what could be asked for more ?
Old 08-08-2011, 04:31 PM

I think we're all back on track now...

Old 08-08-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhesiv View Post
It's a passionate hobby...and I like to see passion and emotion in those who make it a living as well...At least you know it's not just about the advertising dollars!

Let's give Jeff the benefit of the doubt and once he does get a chance to hear both a pre and maybe even a combo pre & amp maybe he'll find a soft place in his heart for Shindo. We all take different roads towards the same goals...sometimes we end up in the same place, sometimes we don't.

I do agree with most of your points though Serge regarding Shindo's "strategy" (if you can even call it that) as those are my feelings as well. I'm hoping this foray into Shindo for me is the beginning of a life-long connection and collection of art.

On a lighter note since we compare Shindo to art so much, in the vain of other artists what "period" would you consider his current lineup in relation to his production since the start of his business...

Would you say impressionist, renaissance, abstract, romantic, modern, midcentury, etc?

I can't say with certainty yet but I would say "romantic" due to the deep shades of green, stylistic silk screened flowing label, warm tube glow with green "accent" lighting culminating the renewed interest in aesthetic beauty while strongly challenging that new technology solves everything (the audio version of rejecting scientific rationalization from the previous Enlightenment era). This carries into the supposed house sound being organic, natural, & musical vs. hifi, clinical, measurable.
Jayson, if it was Jeff, he would say "impressionism" because as it turns out, overwhelming majority of impressionists were nearsighted which explained their work, they painted how they "saw" the world with their bad vision.... We Shindo owners may need hearing aids.

I'll have to say surrealism because it is "surreal" how good it sounds and the element of surprise and unexpected is what I get out of my Shindo listening sessions.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
WOW,
Look what I started !
Cool down guys !
I also read in a french forum that a Marantz 8B in good condition or an old Mc sound very close to Shindo... and this was from a Shindo owner ! So all opinions deserve respect.
The most important is to be satisfied with your gear.
Shindo is getting a cult status, and that is great news.
Buying an audio component that could be sold if needed, as an art work, what could be asked for more ?
Jerome, forget the old stuff. I've heard plenty of it. Shindo, at least the Monbrison and Cortese SET I have right now sounds nothing like it. In fact the MC2102, not a vintage piece, sounded more colored and much warmer. The Ayon Crossfire SET with their proprietary AA62B tubes sounded much different too, almost a bell curve effect where the midrange takes precedence over everything else, stands out to get attention. It took away from enjoying the whole musical message at once.

The F2a tubes do not sound like any of the tubes I am familiar from the past.