AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 08-30-2013, 03:33 PM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
Back to my own system.. I found sound to be much less syrupy.. Less caramel.less romantic especially
The mid band or voices.

I also hear the clipping sound on one disc very clearly ( the bad of this CD).. Which I didnt heard at dealer showroom today.
I put same disc in my other system with Dynaudio Focus 260 as speaker, I didnt hear it as well until I get within 1 foot from tweeter Then I heard that broken sound . I believe resolving capability of my system is quite higher than at dealer showroom today. But of course no where nearly as sweet. Due to low input impedance of Memphisto, If I go for it, Pandora has to replace my ARC Ref40 too.

Toga
Toga,

If I had the room and money, the Memphisto power amp & Pandora pre would be my dreams amps. Alas, I will be happy with a Vitus SIA-025 with my Magico's! If you want amps to get off the merry go round Toga, they are it for sure.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:01 PM

Ok now, I put new Boulder 2160 on to the list too..

This way, I may not need new pre amp. A big saving.. ( yes I want to save)
Toga

Oh two days after I had Gryphon demo , there is a review on Ultra Audio.

Last edited by TOGA; 08-31-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:26 PM

What about Krell? 900 watt monoblocs now playing at the new local dealer's shop driving Stella Utopias.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:45 PM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Ok now, I put new Boulder 2160 on to the list too..

This way, I may not need new pre amp. A big saving.. ( yes I want to save)
Toga

Oh two days after I had Gryphon demo , there is a review on Ultra Audio.
From speaking to Rich, and knowing the filter down technology they have applied from the 3000 series, the 2160 should be fabulous. Pure class A. Enormous reserves of power. But also superbly built to last a lifetime. And yes Boulder's neutrality combined with it's high input impedance means it should be benign to even the weakest tube preamps & in general match well with any reference grade preamp. I wish Toga!!
Old 08-31-2013, 11:47 PM

Dafos,

I like the 4 pieces Krell. Don t remember the name.. , both the 90' s KAS and the new aluminum look with blue light one..
But in my country, Krell' s top models are as rare as Momentum, due to dealer policy.
Top amps that are in stock to demo now are , DZ 458, Memphisto ST and Solo, Goldmund Telos, Boulder 3000 Stereo.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:01 AM

Boulder 2000 are class A too?? How come so much power.

Wow cool... ( actually HOT)

Now I happy to know the US MSRP of Memphisto ST, I though it is in 100,000$ range.
Reality is just over half of that..
Oh and how could I forget about Pass XS series..
This will be much more difficult than I first though.

Toga

Last edited by TOGA; 09-01-2013 at 02:51 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:00 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Boulder 2000 are class A too?? How come so much power.

Wow cool... ( actually HOT)

Now I happy to know the US MSRP of Memphisto ST, I though it is in 100,000$ range.
Reality is just over half of that..
Oh and how could I forget about Pass XS series..
This will be much more difficult than I first though.

Toga
Toga, the 2160 and 2150 mono blocks run in pure class a, but Boulder go to a lot of trouble to ensure they are both reliable and stable & put a lot of effort into thermal management. As a result, you can expect the 2100 series to run warm to very warm only (assuming they have plenty of room to breath). Have a read of a review of the previous 2060 and you'll get a good idea. Based on your budget, i'd look at the 2150 mono's which are due out soon. Later on you could add the awesome new 2110 preamp. Here is some info on them fyi - Boulder Debuts 2100 Series Components at 2013 Hong Kong High End Show | The Absolute Sound

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 09-02-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Toga, the 2160 and 2150 mono blocks run in pure class a, but Boulder go to a lot of trouble to ensure they are both reliable and stable & put a lot of effort into thermal management. As a result, you can expect the 2000 series to run warm to very warm only (assuming they have plenty of room to breath). Have a read of a review of the previous 2060 and you'll get a good idea. Based on your budget, i'd look at the 2150 mono's which are due out soon. Later on you could add the awesome new 2110 preamp. Here is some info on them fyi - Boulder Debuts 2100 Series Components at 2013 Hong Kong High End Show | The Absolute Sound
It seems that the 2150/2160 adjust biase to maintain class A operation at all time, while not biased for maxim output constantly. In this way the amp may not get very hot at normal listening levels.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:21 AM

Well, actually I don't have a set budget. I have to sell Moon W7M and Audio Research 75 and add a lot more.

I of course, want to pay as little as possible. But to get something that is much better than what I have now, Not the side way change, Only the $50,000 class amp is worth the effort. But something above 70,000 is simply too much for me.

I am not so keen on adaptive bias because I feel music signal constantly changing that nothing can predict what is going on next. After adjusting bias, it takes minutes to be thermally stabilized and make best sound for new bias setting.

One good news of Boulder is that my Ref40 can stay, one bad news is local Boulder dealer is pretty stiff on the pricing policy.
I should bring Gryphon set in to play in my own room with my system. If the price is right, I will try to get them, The Pandora
And Memphisto.

If money is less of a concern, which is not the case here, I can build second system around ARc Ref40+Ref75..
Too bad I have to sell both and Sim W7M if I want to get Gryphon set.

Will I damage my tube pre amp connecting such low input impedance amp to it? 20Kohm is minimum, but Memphisto 's
Is 10kohm.

Toga
Old 09-01-2013, 11:53 AM

Very naughty idea? The addition of a pair of Magico's new Q sub18 subwoofers.

avcat

That'll loosen your sheetrock.