AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 11-22-2017, 12:44 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Default Incoming Power and General Info

Looking at tonight’s readings I have been hovering around 116 incoming volts. The PS 10 converts this to a Steady Eddie, 120V out.

I am very happy with what I am hearing and feeling, knowing there is a steady flow of power to my components.

It has been raining hard here in the Northwest and I am wondering if losing voltage is a factor from this rain ☔️ as the incoming voltage usually hovers around 118V.

2fastdriving was experiencing much less then what I am seeing tonight on the P10 and I know he is very happy with his sound much more now after scoring his regenerator from Ivan.

Not to open a can of worms but Nordost Tyr 2 feeds the power plant, and I will be going up to Odin 1 in about 2 weeks and curious what this will do to the incoming power.

Can anyone argue with facts that there is not a benefit of these components, in a polite manner of course, I have kids [emoji4].

IMG_0954.JPG

Last edited by jdandy; 11-22-2017 at 01:38 AM. Reason: enlarge photo
Old 11-22-2017, 10:18 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

IMG_1660.JPG

Follow up, day 2 - no rain, partial clouds, it’s 68 degrees in Seattle - odd

Today the P10 shows almost a match between incoming and outgoing voltage, yesterdays results, lower then today are in the previous post.

Does the rain change incoming power from the grid to your home and why does it matter if your running proper gear that addresses voltage within the home running your system?

Open for comment, Happy Thanksgiving All!
Old 11-22-2017, 10:32 PM

Ed in my area we have voltage fluctuations due to high winds. Never really noticed anything just due to rain, but I don’t have my P10 yet. When it arrives I will keep a closer eye on that kind of thing.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1800 View Post
Ed in my area we have voltage fluctuations due to high winds. Never really noticed anything just due to rain, but I don’t have my P10 yet. When it arrives I will keep a closer eye on that kind of thing.
You don't even have to watch it, your p10 connects to the internet and you can see charts of your power quality over time!
Old 11-23-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post

Can anyone argue with facts that there is not a benefit of these components, in a polite manner of course, I have kids [emoji4].
Not going to "argue" but will point out a simple fact that most high end audio manufacturers go to great lengths to build components with robust power supplies that are very well "voltage regulated", "filtered" and between the step down transformers, rectifiers and voltage regulators, you can expect a steady and filtered voltage of the desired level to feed the rest of the circuitry. Does that mean these devices have no use and are snake oil? From previous experience and I have tried quite a few over the years, they can and do change the sound somewhat. That term "somewhat" is left up to the interpretation of the end user.

Best approach is a "home audition" to determine if power conditioning, filtering or regeneration will benefit your particular case. With a return policy in place that is. Many manufacturers are starting to embrace that type of an approach and I would consider that fair, logical and honest.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Not going to "argue" but will point out a simple fact that most high end audio manufacturers go to great lengths to build components with robust power supplies that are very well "voltage regulated", "filtered" and between the step down transformers, rectifiers and voltage regulators, you can expect a steady and filtered voltage of the desired level to feed the rest of the circuitry. Does that mean these devices have no use and are snake oil? From previous experience and I have tried quite a few over the years, they can and do change the sound somewhat. That term "somewhat" is left up to the interpretation of the end user.

Best approach is a "home audition" to determine if power conditioning, filtering or regeneration will benefit your particular case. With a return policy in place that is. Many manufacturers are starting to embrace that type of an approach and I would consider that fair, logical and honest.
I agree, in home with your gear is the only way to know what your going to get. I recently acquired a P5 and when compared to my Shunyata Talos I preferred the Talos. That however doesn't mean the Shunyata is better the the P5. If simply means that with my setup the Shunyata gives me the sound I prefer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:58 AM

While my P10 certainly regulates the voltage swings - which are not as severe at my new home, it has not come without a cost.

Plugging my amp directly into my wall outlet has provided much better performance. I was told by my Ayre dealer that this would be the case. I didn't believe him. I do now.
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 03-25-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
Looking at tonight’s readings I have been hovering around 116 incoming volts. The PS 10 converts this to a Steady Eddie, 120V out.

I am very happy with what I am hearing and feeling, knowing there is a steady flow of power to my components.

It has been raining hard here in the Northwest and I am wondering if losing voltage is a factor from this rain ☔️ as the incoming voltage usually hovers around 118V.

2fastdriving was experiencing much less then what I am seeing tonight on the P10 and I know he is very happy with his sound much more now after scoring his regenerator from Ivan.

Not to open a can of worms but Nordost Tyr 2 feeds the power plant, and I will be going up to Odin 1 in about 2 weeks and curious what this will do to the incoming power.

Attachment 52724
I just acquired a PS Audio Power Plant Premier, I'm not arguing with you don't want to offend your kids!

I agree completely with you, any power conditioner/regenerator will help.

They reduce EMI/RFI, they provide a steady current stream and just remove most if not all fo the electrical noise from the AC lines.

Properly shielded power cords will help also, it's all about removing or lowering the noise floor to as low as possible.
Subwoofer REL Stadium III Sub-Bass System BluRay Player Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray
Old 03-25-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreginNH1 View Post
While my P10 certainly regulates the voltage swings - which are not as severe at my new home, it has not come without a cost.

Plugging my amp directly into my wall outlet has provided much better performance. I was told by my Ayre dealer that this would be the case. I didn't believe him. I do now.

So then do you still use the P10
Old 03-27-2018, 03:34 PM

I purchased a PS Audio DirectStream DAC just after it was released. At the time, I had it plugged into a Furman power conditioner. As soon as the Furman was replaced with a P10 Power Plant, I immediately noticed an improvement in the sound of the DAC.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling