AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 12-27-2019, 11:19 AM

Gerard

I sounds to me like you have done your do diligence. My concerns are primarily “legal liability”. So, if your are comfortable that everything is safe and done by qualified electricians that understand you local codes, it sounds fine.

From an absolute performance perspective this is not ideal because it makes it difficult to upgrade the cable from the wall to the power distributor. It is our experience that this is the single most impactful cable in an audio system. As good as the Belden cable is it will not perform at the level of one our higher end power cables, even taking into account the advantage of eliminating the wall outlet junction. But if your intention is to use relatively inexpensive power cables in the system and would not want to possibly upgrade in the future then by all means this setup sounds fine.

But as said earlier, if starting from scratch, the advantages of this direct connection is not sufficient to recommend.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
This installation violates the following sections of NEC: ...

Tom
In addition, it appears that Belden 19364 is a flexible cable not intended or approved for in-wall use under NEC. Perhaps that is acceptable in the Netherlands, but the electrical inspector in my town would nix its use and other aspects of this install, for sure.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:34 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Some good info from the gang that knows their electrician subject matter domain.

From my point of view as an end-user, this configuration obviates the use of, and places a constraint on, the most important cable in the entire power distribution system: the one that comes from the wall to the power conditioner/distributor. I've done some power cable upgrades this year and can affirm Caelin's comment that the cable that supplies power to the power conditioner is the most important one; it has the largest impact on overall sound quality and system performance, as it provides the "foundation" for the power distribution throughout the rest of the audio system.

My recommendation would be have a good quality receptacle installed in the wall by a qualified electrician, and then run a good Shunyata power cable from that to whatever is the power distribution system for the stereo, e.g. a Delta EF or NR, for example.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
Gerard

I sounds to me like you have done your do diligence. My concerns are primarily “legal liability”. So, if your are comfortable that everything is safe and done by qualified electricians that understand you local codes, it sounds fine.

From an absolute performance perspective this is not ideal because it makes it difficult to upgrade the cable from the wall to the power distributor. It is our experience that this is the single most impactful cable in an audio system. As good as the Belden cable is it will not perform at the level of one our higher end power cables, even taking into account the advantage of eliminating the wall outlet junction. But if your intention is to use relatively inexpensive power cables in the system and would not want to possibly upgrade in the future then by all means this setup sounds fine.

But as said earlier, if starting from scratch, the advantages of this direct connection is not sufficient to recommend.
Thanks Caelin, I understand.
I did try once to connect the IEC C15 connector directly into my Constellation Amplifier and the resulting SQ was, as expected, so much less then using an audiograde powerstrip and a Sigma Analog PC in the amplifier. I know that the quality of the PC feeding the amplifier is of major importance.
I was not sure that it is also the case for a power distributor/filter. I have now the Vibex Granada DC-filter directly to the IEC C15 connector (as adviced by manufacturer Vibex!) and perhaps i also should try using a good HC power cable feeding it after installing a wall outlet junction.

By the way, are you still developing a DC-filter yourself? I cannot do without for my Constellation amp! Vibex is pretty good but perhaps you can do better..!

Again many thanks for you answer/advice.
Kind Regards, Gerard
Old 12-29-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
Is a direct connection connection superior to installing a CopperCONN outlet and a quality power (for instance the Venom-HC)? No the better PC will outperform the Belden wire even though the Belden has the advantage of eliminating a connection junction (outlet and AC plug)
Caelin, does Shunyata has a CopperCONN outlet for 230v Schuko for European market? I cannot find it on the internet ...!
Regards, Gerard
Old 01-10-2020, 03:21 PM

I have a last question about what Power cable is the best to feed the Delta D6 conditioner for my system (see signature)? Is a NR-version to be preferred? Sigma, Alpha or Delta?
I thought at first the answer could be already available in one of the threads on this forum, but I cannot find it.
Regards, Gerard
Old 01-10-2020, 04:49 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardJ View Post
I have a last question about what Power cable is the best to feed the Delta D6 conditioner for my system (see signature)? Is a NR-version to be preferred? Sigma, Alpha or Delta?
I thought at first the answer could be already available in one of the threads on this forum, but I cannot find it.
Regards, Gerard
Delta EF
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:06 PM

I know for the Denali is EF sufficient.
Is the noise reductie by the Delta D6 also so good that an extra NR version power cable feeding it is also not necessary?
Old 01-10-2020, 09:40 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardJ View Post
I know for the Denali is EF sufficient.
Is the noise reductie by the Delta D6 also so good that an extra NR version power cable feeding it is also not necessary?
Yes.

Keep in mind, though, that the most important functionality for a PC feeding a power distributor is DTCD. While NR is a "nice to have", it is secondary to the primary requirement of DTCD.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:38 AM

OK, thanks for your info!
BTW is the DTCD of the Alpha different from the Delta? I was at first planning to buy the Alpha.
Regards, Gerard