AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:25 PM
Retired

Default iPod ?

Anyone using a newer iPod as their digital source for travel?
Can one download music to an iPod in hi-rez formats?
Easy to organize, operate, etc.?
About how many albums will fit into its 128GB storage?
Certainly a convenient size.
Thanks for any info/feedback.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 08-09-2018, 12:44 PM

I would choose iDevices only if I am stuck with iTunes.

All the asks about SQ(hi res), storage, player app can be much better addressed with a portable music player with good DAC chip, SD card support, and Android OS.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:49 PM

If you mean the still available iPod Touch which is solid state, it should work the same as an iPhone, which is what I use. Yes, you can download hi-res onto the iPod Touch.
For either an iPod Touch or iPhone, I recommend downloading the Onkyo HF player, which is free. It plays Music with better quality than iTunes and has numerous audiophile settings. For an additional cost (nominal), it will even play 192/24, DSD, and most files from your phone as I recall.
Well worth it and great sound as far as I’m concerned. I’m generally using it while traveling or on the go and can’t imagine what more a dedicated player could offer me under the imperfect conditions I listen in. In fact, I can’t imagine a more convenient way to listen to music in great quality with little hassle or inconvenience.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 08-09-2018, 04:28 PM

Wow, I Didn’t even know they still make iPods. I was under the impression that with the iPhone there is no need for an iPod.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:32 PM

I store all my music in AIFF format on both my iPhone and my iPad. 1,202 songs stored in this lossless format uses 55.52 GB of memory.

The Apple Music player is pretty easy to use but I use the Cesium app instead because I like the way it uses my artwork rather than Apple’s artwork when scrolling through artists. I also just find it a better interface and more intuitive but there are many different music player apps to choose from should you wish to do so.

Regarding hi rez files, I don’t have any so I can’t comment on how much storage they take up. Also, if I’m correct, I think that you have to use an external DAC in order to maintain and play hi rez files from an iPod, iPhone, or iPad because the internal DAC is only capable of playing files up to 48 kHz. To do so you would have to get the apple lightning to usb camera adapter and bypass the internal DAC for a USB digital out from the iDevice. RNRMF1971 should be able to let you know on this since he has experience with it.

Last edited by Stahle; 08-09-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:14 PM

FWIW, I put my music in SD Cards in their original resolution and/or type (Hi Rez, Flac, Wav, etc.). I can pop the card in any of my two cars and they all play just fine.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:27 PM
Retired

Yes............. am looking at the iPod Touch. Am wondering if the other options mentioned would work with an Apple certified iPod dock. Am looking at a Manley Stingray iTube.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 08-09-2018, 09:11 PM

The Apple dock does not have a digital out which is why you need to get the lightning to camera usb connector. As far as I am aware, the only stand alone lightning dock that was made which offers a true digital out is the Arcam rdock-uni. Unfortunately it has been discontinued for some time and is very hard to find. There are stereos though that do accept connections from iDevice cables.

Keep in mind that the Apple lightning to USB is quite small and works perfectly for bypassing the internal DAC. You can then connect it to almost any DAC that accepts USB audio.

The Manley Stingray iTube does not have a lightning connector but instead has the older 30 pin connector. You can use it, but you’ll need an Apple lightning to 30 pin adapter which Apple makes and sells for $29.00.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:22 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
If you mean the still available iPod Touch which is solid state, it should work the same as an iPhone, which is what I use. Yes, you can download hi-res onto the iPod Touch.
For either an iPod Touch or iPhone, I recommend downloading the Onkyo HF player, which is free. It plays Music with better quality than iTunes and has numerous audiophile settings. For an additional cost (nominal), it will even play 192/24, DSD, and most files from your phone as I recall.
Well worth it and great sound as far as I’m concerned. I’m generally using it while traveling or on the go and can’t imagine what more a dedicated player could offer me under the imperfect conditions I listen in. In fact, I can’t imagine a more convenient way to listen to music in great quality with little hassle or inconvenience.
Sounds like a good, no/low hassle way to go, which is what I'm after.
Is it possible to download one's own music from CDs to the iPod or must one go thru iTunes or Spotify, etc.?
Old 08-09-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Sounds like a good, no/low hassle way to go, which is what I'm after.

Is it possible to download one's own music from CDs to the iPod or must one go thru iTunes or Spotify, etc.?

You can use all your own files, ripped from your own discs. That’s what I’ve done.
Basically, you load your PCM based files (I forget if flac was added to the list) through the iTunes application, and sync your iPod or iPhone to the computer that is running iTunes and has the files.

You can rip either compressed with quite respectable sound quality or uncompressed with no quality loss.

Also, you don’t have to use iTunes to rip. You can use dbpoweramp, among many, to get bit perfect rips. Then drag the rips into the iTunes app’s library.

For DSD files, the Onkyo app has a special helper tool to facilitate getting those files onto your device. iTunes won’t handle DSD.

Someone above mentioned the default dac resolutions that iPod and iPhone support and I believe that’s the case using the Music app (what iTunes was renamed on iDevices). But the Onkyo player, among others will play back hi res files at their native resolutions that you load into the Music app. I just looked at my iPhone and saw that the Onkyo app is capable of playing the hi-res files, but one needs to bypass the iPod/iPhone dac - by using the camera connector kit described, above, and while that's a convenience compromise, if you're set on using the device to play back those high bit rate files, you have to bypass the internal converter.
Also, by hi-res, we are talking about over 48kHz. The lossless rips from your discs play perfectly through headphones, dongles, etc.

DSD files do get converted to PCM by the Onkyo player, however. I haven’t tried playing DSD files so I can’t vouch for how that sounds but the PCM upsampling options in the Onkyo app aren’t too bad and come in handy based on the headphones or system you listen through.

Check out this good article:
https://www.whathifi.com/advice/how-...-your-iphone-0

Another option besides the iPod Touch, if you want higher capacities of 256 and 512GB, might be to look at a used iPhone, and not activate it - basically use it only with WiFi, like an iPod Touch. I think that would work.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables

Last edited by rnrmf1971; 08-09-2018 at 11:23 PM.